Author Topic: What would you guys think of the Mavs if they added Kidd AND Jermaine O'Neal?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Would that make them the favorites in the West?

Tons of people are asking why the Mavs don't just use a KVH contract to make Devean a moot point.  Some speculate that Cuban doesn't want to venture deep into luxury tax land by signing KVH to a one year expiring contract that would be very attractive to teams out there, like the Nets.  Others think that Cuban is saving KVH for another deal.

The Mavs should be able to figure out the Devean problem and get Kidd for pretty much the same price.  The Nets have been reported as to inquiring about Mike Millers availability in exchange for Bostjan Nachbar and Jamaal Magloire.  That would indicate they are getting rid of Vince Carter and Vince was being offered for Jermaine O'Neal.  The concern with JO is his contract and injury situation.  So it would make sense for the Nets to aquire JO then trade him to the Mavs for KVH expiring contract.  The Mavs would be DEEEEEEP into luxury tax land but they are starting to get the "now or never" feeling.  Seems like the Suns and Mavs have their minds set on winning THIS year.  They are mortgaging their futures for a shot at a title NOW, next year at the latest.  Makes sense for the Suns since Nash only has a year or two left and it doesn't look like the Spurs are going anywhere since their core is young enough, it's only their role players that are really old.  Nash is the engine that makes the Suns go and he's over 100K miles, Spurs still have their solid engine in TD who is hovering around 50-60K miles and should still produce for another 40-50K miles aka 2-4 years.

A lineup of Kidd, Terry, Howard, Dirk and JO could match up well against the Suns and Spurs.  A lineup of Kidd, Howard, Dirk, JO and Dampier could matchup well against the Lakers, Suns and Jazz.  They would be very tough if Kidd and JO were to hold up for the playoffs.  Assuming the Mavs could even get JO or be willing to spend UBER dollars for a great shot at a title.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
IT would certainly give them a flexibility they lack now, Kidd would be a good fit with their style of play, I still can't believe Devean George suckered Cuban into a no trade clause for a journeyman forward in the first place, shows you how much he knows about basketball.

The would be scary able to go big or small, half court or run and gun, only team in the west able to do all that is LA, exciting time to be a WC fan
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
IT would certainly give them a flexibility they lack now, Kidd would be a good fit with their style of play, I still can't believe Devean George suckered Cuban into a no trade clause for a journeyman forward in the first place, shows you how much he knows about basketball.

The would be scary able to go big or small, half court or run and gun, only team in the west able to do all that is LA, exciting time to be a WC fan

Only Kobe has a no trade clause in his contract.  George's issues has to do with his bird rights, I read somewhere that this is about 17 players in the NBA that are in the same situation as George.  I was thinking the same thing about their flexibility, although I might include the Jazz in that mix.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

I disagree with this...the Spurs have shown they can play all styles the past few years.  They have run & gunned past the Suns, they have played big & physical with the Nuggets.  And they have won a couple rings along the way...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
It would work out as the Dallas squad really relies on their big men to rebound and block shots.  Any points from that position is a bonus.  O'Neal is a solid shot blocker and if he is healthy he can rebound better then Dampier could anyways.   As for Kidd...after watching them last night and seeing all the ISO they run (a poster here mentioned this the other day) I don't know how much his skills are going to shine over there.  He doesn't have to create much and they don't run the ball at all anymore it seems.

I think you would have to say with all that talent though they would be scary to see in the playoffs.  Favorites tho?  Nah because its hard to tell how all the pieces would integrate.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I disagree with this...the Spurs have shown they can play all styles the past few years.  They have run & gunned past the Suns, they have played big & physical with the Nuggets.  And they have won a couple rings along the way...

Who is going to run the wings?  TD, Bowen, Horry and Finley are up there in age, not sure if they want to get into an uptempo game.  Does Fabs run the floor well?  How does he finish off the break?  Not sure what Stoudomire is still capable of but he was never much of a decision maker.  What is the name of that buffed out shooting guard, he really torched the Lakers in their last game, he looks like he can run the court but I don't know if he is much of a finisher.

I know TP and Manu can run the floor and finish but I'm wondering what other wings the Spurs have got on the roster right now.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"