Author Topic: Looks like Kidd is heading to Dallas.  (Read 9013 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looks like Kidd is heading to Dallas.
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »
I knew arguing something CBA related with reality was a mistake.
If you read the link I'd posted, you'd know.  ;)
 ;D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »
Baby steps Reality...

It is NOT collusion to trade a player, have the new team buy him out and then re-sign with his original team.  The only restriction is that the player has to wait 30 days.  There is even specific provions in the labor agreement allowing this.

It is WRONG to have a prearranged deal in place.  This is what the Wolves did a few years back with Joe Smith.  They made a prearranged deal and they got smacked down hard for it.  Losing draft picks if you remember.  But no "collusion" arguments from you then.

Your article actually states everyone's argument that has been posted here.  You even quoted it from the article.  Here I will quote it again for you in the spirit of baby steps.

The rest of the league is required to have a fair chance to sign Stackhouse in the 30 days before he is eligible to re-sign with the Mavericks.

And it is the sentence right before that one that makes this "collusion"...but the collusion is between Dallas & Stackhouse which obviously does not include the league since they are questioning it.  Here is that sentence with the key word bolded...

The NBA doesn't allow such prearranged agreements.

So what you are trying to bring into the argument is NEW facts.  The original premise...that a player re-signing with the team that traded him is collusion...is wrong.  And not only has everyone here been telling you that; you go and post an article that supports their arguments.  The NEW fact is that executives and league bigwigs are claiming a prearranged deal which does violate the rules and can be called collusion.  And the league is taking a look at that possible collusion.

Back to your regularly schedluded ownage...
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
Ha!  I had no intention of "owning" you or bods.

But for you two to now act like "what, we never questioned anything" -please.
You most certainly did act and post like the deal was fine n dandy.

Lurker It is WRONG to have a prearranged deal in place.
Telling me something after the fact which i already posted on.
Wow that's deep.

Back to your regulary scheduled backpedaling exercises.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 12:51:14 PM »

If Stackhouse is bought out he is free to sign wherever he chooses.  The NBA cannot, and should not, prevent a team from signing a player because it hurts reality's spursies.  I would have a huge problem if the NBA would prevent such a signing, and I don't think they will.  Feel free to find a part of the CBA's collusion section that makes that illegal:
http://www.nbpa.org/cba_articles/article-XIV.php

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 12:56:34 PM »
I don't need some geeky legalese to tell me a deal stinks of collusion.

Stackhouse could have kept his mouth shut and pulled of the 1/100th Gasol-Kwame stinker.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
BTW, you asked for an example.

Payton was traded by the Celtics to the Hawks for Antoine Walker.  Payton was then waived by the Hawks, cleared waivers, then signed with Boston again.

It also happened with the Mavs and Alan Henderson/KVH trade.

This is not unique, it does happen all the time, and the only reason it's different this time is because Stackhouse is stupid.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »

If Stackhouse is bought out he is free to sign wherever he chooses.  The NBA cannot, and should not, prevent a team from signing a player because it hurts reality's spursies.  I would have a huge problem if the NBA would prevent such a signing, and I don't think they will.  Feel free to find a part of the CBA's collusion section that makes that illegal:
http://www.nbpa.org/cba_articles/article-XIV.php

Doesn't fall under collusion...but under Article XIII: Circumvention

Section 2. No Unauthorized Agreements.
(a) At no time shall there be any agreements or transactions of any kind (whether disclosed or undisclosed to the NBA), express or implied, oral or written, or promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind (whether disclosed or undisclosed to the NBA), between a player (or any person or entity controlled by, related to, or acting with authority on behalf of, such player) and any Team (or Team Affiliate):

(i) concerning any future Renegotiation, Extension, or amendment of an existing Player Contract, or entry into a new Player Contract;

This is the same clause the NBA smacked the Wolves with.  League has every right to stop a prearrange deal.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »
The TWolves promised Smith under-the-cap money, which IMO is different (although it might be splitting hairs).

Besides, you'd have to PROVE it was a pre-arrainged deal, which IMO stacks comments are not enough.  He could very easily just say "he assumed that would happen", and there would be no proof, and it would be just like the previous deals that haven't been stopped.

BTW, if collusion was found, I do agree that they could stop the trade, but they could NOT stop the signing if the trade went through IMO.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 01:06:51 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »
BTW, you asked for an example.

Payton was traded by the Celtics to the Hawks for Antoine Walker.  Payton was then waived by the Hawks, cleared waivers, then signed with Boston again.
It was after this Payton trade that the league put in the 30 day rule on buyouts.  Not enough, but at least they attempted to give the perception of some legitimacy to these prearranged deals.

As to whether Kidds signing helps or hurts the Spurs, RealSpurs are split on this.  I think it majorly helps the Mavs for this years playoffs.  L:ongterm it probably hurts the Mavs.  Whether or not Stack is part of the deal is minor but yes, getting him back definitely helps the Mavs depth. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 02:30:28 PM »
We just need skandery, joe, and ted to smack Reality down this week and its a wrap.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
This is FINALLY being reported as a done deal.  Lots of names changed in the deal but Dallas still lost Harris and Diop.  Nobody is giving this trade any respect in regards to making Dallas a championship contendor. 

At least with the Suns the jury is still out, taking a wait and see in regards to Shaq.  Everyone under the Sun ;) was saying that the Suns had no chance of winning a title this year with their current lineup so at least the trade gives them a shot if all the stars lineup, more than you could say with their previous roster.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 02:20:07 PM »
This is FINALLY being reported as a done deal.  Lots of names changed in the deal but Dallas still lost Harris and Diop.  Nobody is giving this trade any respect in regards to making Dallas a championship contendor. 

At least with the Suns the jury is still out, taking a wait and see in regards to Shaq.  Everyone under the Sun ;) was saying that the Suns had no chance of winning a title this year with their current lineup so at least the trade gives them a shot if all the stars lineup, more than you could say with their previous roster.

I like this deal...from the Spurs perspective.  Dallas gave up the 2 defenders that gave the Spurs the biggest problems.  Harris is quick enough to keep Parker out of the lane and Diop defended Duncan better than anyone else on the roster.  And the Mavs offense under Avery has gotten more & more half court oriented...which is NOT Kidd's strength.  Dallas is an isolation team and not big on ball movement.  Using Kidd in a half court set will effectively reduce all of his numbers...except maybe for shooting % because I don't think it can get much worse.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
I think Kidds smarts and overall game will help Dallas playoffwise.  Offsetting any of his weaknesses.

Will be kind of a hoot if Spurs don't even end up playing either Dallas or Phx.  A hoot as long as Spurs are still playing. :P 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 04:32:05 PM »
I think Kidds smarts and overall game will help Dallas playoffwise.  Offsetting any of his weaknesses.

Will be kind of a hoot if Spurs don't even end up playing either Dallas or Phx.  A hoot as long as Spurs are still playing. :P 

It will be extra interesting for me since it seems that those two teams more than any others are geared towards beating the Spurs.  It would be ironic if they don't even meet in the playoffs. 

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 04:40:04 PM »
I'm with Lurker, I like this deal from <insert Western Conference playoff team here>'s perspective.  I think Dallas is crazy to give up an up and coming Harris for a 36 yr old Kidd.  On top of that losing Diop will be extremely detrimental for Dallas' interior defense.  Dampier can't stay out of foul trouble to save his life, so now your only other big guy is Dirk ... yikes!  This is a horrible deal and probably even worse than the Suns trading for an old, washed up Shaq.  

If my IQ were below 40 I'd start believing Reality's conspiracy theories.  It's like these teams are mysteriously making bad moves to get out of Lakers way.  Did Sternfish spike these GM's gatorade with LSD?  What's next, will San Antonio trade GNob and Fabs for Artest?  Will Utah trade Boozer and Williams for an injured Jermaine O?Neil?  Stop the madness!