Author Topic: Stan Van Gundy - Dwight Howard strategy tiff  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Stan Van Gundy - Dwight Howard strategy tiff
« on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:27 AM »
You guys see and hear Van Gundy take it public yesterday?
Live interview.
Update pretty much a word for word link.
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080212/SPORTS/802120343/1002/SPORTS

Basically very clearly spelling out that Orlandos record when Howard defends, rebounds and blocks is excellent.
Not so good when he scores more but does not block.  Van Gundy gave the stats.  Said he and staff have been asking Howard for the last 3 weeks to sacrifice points (well, not make that priority 1) and heavily emphasise blocks, D and rebounding but that he has resisted, wants to score more points per many a modern day pampered NBA player.

But taking it public.  Should Van Gundy have done that?
Will/did it help?  Hurt?

Can a healthy functioning Orlando team challenge Boston in the playoffs?
W 104-102
L 103-91
W 96-93
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:49:11 AM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stan Van Gundy - Dwight Howard strategy tiff
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 11:02:12 AM »
To me going to the media rarely does anything except make players with big egos mad cuz they look bad to the fans.  Maybe  he was thinking that if he calls Dwight out in the media that he will feel more obligated to do it as the fans will hold him accountable.  The thing is the fans who really pay close attention to defense probably already know that if Dwight blocked more shots they would do better in the long run. 

The real question is why can't he do both and who would be taking higher % shots on this squad then Dwight Howard?  While I don't disagree that any team is better when their big man can focus in on playing solid defense a Dwight Howard dunk to me is about the best possible shot you can get.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »
To me going to the media rarely does anything except make players with big egos mad cuz they look bad to the fans.  Maybe  he was thinking that if he calls Dwight out in the media that he will feel more obligated to do it as the fans will hold him accountable.  The thing is the fans who really pay close attention to defense probably already know that if Dwight blocked more shots they would do better in the long run. 

The real question is why can't he do both and who would be taking higher % shots on this squad then Dwight Howard?  While I don't disagree that any team is better when their big man can focus in on playing solid defense a Dwight Howard dunk to me is about the best possible shot you can get.

For one, most guys get tired.  If he exerts a ton of effort on offense then there is less on defense.  Second, he can also get into foul trouble like he did against the Lakers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:26:23 PM »

For one, most guys get tired.  If he exerts a ton of effort on offense then there is less on defense.  Second, he can also get into foul trouble like he did against the Lakers.

You can get in foul trouble easier trying to block a bunch of shots then you would on the offensive end though.  Catch 22.  He tries harder to block more shots but ends up getting himself on the pine for longer periods of time due to foul trouble.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 12:29:15 PM »

You can get in foul trouble easier trying to block a bunch of shots then you would on the offensive end though.  Catch 22.  He tries harder to block more shots but ends up getting himself on the pine for longer periods of time due to foul trouble.

Not the way Howard plays offense, very Shaq-like.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 12:31:48 PM »
 You can get in foul trouble easier trying to block a bunch of shots then you would on the offensive end though.
Often true.  However WoW was reffering to Dwight Howard vs:  
Second, he can also get into foul trouble like he did against the Lakers.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »

Not the way Howard plays offense, very Shaq-like.

True...Id like to see more players pull the chair out from under him

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »
True...Id like to see more players pull the chair out from under him

Double true dat!  I also liked how Gasol went at Howard offensively with speed, footwork and skill to offset Howards superior strength and athletecism.

Reality, you need to send Lurker a reciept of OWNAGE immediately for tax purposes.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »
I still have 8 hours till game time.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
I still have 8 hours till game time.

Does it count if Richardson is in a suit or does he have to be wearing a Spurs uniform?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 01:35:08 PM »
I don't know but maybe we should move this over to the thread on Artests trade somehow possibly involving Richardson.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »
I don't know but maybe we should move this over to the thread on Artests trade somehow possibly involving Richardson.

Either way, Lurker and I have settled all the legal issue should there be duel "Reality OWNAGE".
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »
I think Gundy wasn't getting a response from Howard by asking him directly, so now he's put him on the spot.  The truth is Dwight is starting to stake his claim to being the best in the game, but without bringing it on the defensive end, he will always take a back seat to TD.

Orlando is like the 10th best team in the league, and probably are a player away from really contending. 

Getting more out of Howard on the defensive end might push them up a bit higher, but it still won't change anything. Right now, they're not good enough even if he gets another 2-3 blocks a game.