Author Topic: Pops not drinking the Gasol trade swill b.s.  (Read 6490 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pops not drinking the Gasol trade swill b.s.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 06:23:01 PM »
You started this nonsense, Nimrod.

So what you are saying is that no-one could offer an expiring contract as big as LA's and that's why LA got the deal?  I'm not up on all the expiring contracts out there, but I have to believe there are a few others with large contracts besides Kwame's that are coming due.  And what free agent is going to want to run to the Grizzlies when there's no one else there to play with?
Why would it have to be one large expiring?  Teams with two or even 3 expirings equalling Kwames would satisfy the same *objective* of dumping salary.
WoW is just skirting the issure rt.  "Kwames was one of the largest expirings therefore the trade had to be for Kwame with the Lakerthz."  Ha!  The Laker Gals are just spinning desperation.

Btw nice ownage on the Lakers skirts zig and rt.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:28:39 PM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »
Everyone is getting way too worked up over an off-the-cuff type remark.  Pop has a habit of feeding sarcastic lines to the press when they ask stupid questions.  You know something like: Do you think the Gasol trade was fair?

All those opposed: Popovich is apparently not a fan of the trade last week that sent Pau Gasol to the Los Angeles Lakers.

In return for Gasol, a former All-Star, the Grizzlies received guard Javaris Crittenton and former first-round choice Kwame Brown, generally regarded as a draft bust, as well as two future first-round selections.

?The L.A. move is great for L.A.,? Popovich said. ?What they were thinking in Memphis is beyond comprehension.?

Speculation abounds that Memphis owner Michael Heisley pushed the move to cut salary in anticipation of selling the team.

?There should be a trade committee that can scratch all trades that make no sense,? Popovich said, tongue planted firmly in cheek.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020908_SpursNotes.en.a3d3fe36.html
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 07:37:33 PM »
LOL, this comming from the second dumbest poster on this board!  ::)  Funny how you begin the debate with name calling.  Didn't even have to post much to have you fall off a cliff with the name calling.  Fine dopey, we'll keep it simple.

Thanks WoW. :'( You could have at least told me I'd fallen to "dumbest" poster on the board.

Did you really just call someone out for name calling?  :D  I think I just giggled.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 07:42:04 PM by Ted »
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Everyone is getting way too worked up over an off-the-cuff type remark.  Pop has a habit of feeding sarcastic lines to the press when they ask stupid questions.  You know something like: Do you think the Gasol trade was fair? 
Well I'll see about getting a direct quote from said author Jeff McDonald.
In the meantime, here is LJ the husband of present employee WOAI Kori Ellis, LJ being a past emp:
http://www.woai.com/content/bios/story.aspx?content_id=a3db58db-c0cd-4c17-ae4c-64fe2fda4f51
"Uh, no. Pop is pissed.
This isn't the first time he's gone off on the trade. I saw a tape of his tirade when they were in Washington. He's genuinely pissed.
I do agree that there is something fishy about getting three late first rounders and a second rounder for one of the better bigs in the league. It has reeked of collusion since the first second I saw the trade. If you want to salary dump Gasol, you can get better deals than the one the Grizzlies got. Late first round draft picks and a mid second round draft pick? That's nothing.

There's no way the Grizzlies shopped Gasol for like two and a half years and this was their best offer. Either there was some collusion or Wallace needs to be locked up."

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »
Okay -- but if Pop wants that then fair is fair -- no teams getting into the lottery simply because their two All-Stars are injured get the ping pong ball for the most complete big man to ever come out of college.  Take away the ping pong ball from SA and give it to the next team who really deserves and needs it more.

Bet Pop wouldn't want that, would he?  Memphis made a STUPID trade -- and it made the Lakers an instant championship contender -- hmm, doesn't that sound familiar?  The Spurs ping pong ball went against all odds and made the Spurs an instant championship favorite. 

After all if we are really TRYING to be FAIR -- then let's be fair -- Philly really NEEDED a player like TD -- he could have turned their team around.  The Spurs had injury problems for ONE year, slipped in the lottery and overcame the odds to get the top pick.  If Pop wants to be fair, he should trade TD to the Sixers for Dalembert and call it even!

Come on Randy what you posted was just plain STUPID.  Pop made a comment about teams making obviously MORONIC decisions, and how it impacts the leagues competitive spirit.  Nowhere in his quote did he talk about FAIRNESS.  To bring up the luck of the draw in a draft has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE.  You don't get it, he was pounding Memphis for being stupid.  Bowie Kuhn overturned some trades in baseball (A's and Yanks, and A's Bo Sox), in the BEST INTERESTS OF THE GAME.  That is basically what Pop was talking about. 

I happen to think that the idea of a trade review committee is SILLY, and that last thing we need is for David Stern to get more ABSOLUTE POWERS.  The Lakers made a great trade, more power to them.  The Griz made a HORRIBLE trade, and Chris Wallace was a FOOL for doing the deal.  At the same time they have their goals and motivations, and Micheal Heisley has some plan so it is his money and his team, so let him screw it up if he wants to.

BTW glad to have you back.  It is too bad you chose to HIDE when the Lakers sucked, and only chose to come back once they pull off the trade of the century.

Okay, Ziggy -- I had to check twice on who posted this reply -- kept thinking it was Reality.  Classy post!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »
Thanks WoW. :'( You could have at least told me I'd fallen to "dumbest" poster on the board.

Your are not the champ Ted.  There is only ONE poster on this board that is dumber than ricko.  Neither one is actually "dumb", they just post dumb stuff, really really stupid stuff that I wonder if they drink or let other people on their computer.

Did you really just call someone out for name calling?  :D  I think I just giggled.

Didn't call them out just pointing out that is what they lead off with.  Nothing is more satisfyng than owning a guy so bad that all he can do is start name calling.  I picture that is what will happen to Joe V when we meet on the basketball court.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 12:32:05 AM »
You started this nonsense, Nimrod.

Rick, you stupid ignorant slut!  Not only did I not start this thread but I did not start with the name calling, get it?  I know I've slapped you down in the past on this board, as have MANY others, so that must be where the name calling comes from, you sure as hell can not debate worth a shit, I guess name calling is the way to go for you.

So what you are saying is that no-one could offer an expiring contract as big as LA's and that's why LA got the deal?  I'm not up on all the expiring contracts out there, but I have to believe there are a few others with large contracts besides Kwame's that are coming due.  And what free agent is going to want to run to the Grizzlies when there's no one else there to play with?

I am saying that no one did, not that they couldn't.  The reason I say that is because that is what the Grizz GM said on record.  Not because I'm mad my team didn't do anything to make them better or mad that I didn't work for the Gasol deal.  Face it, you are probably just pissed cause the Sixers suck and have done next to nothing to improve.  Praise Allah for the Lakers!  They always find a way to get back on top.  Nobody in the league does that like the Lakers, not the Sixers, Celtics, Spurs, Bulls, not anyone.

Besides, an expiring contract turns into a player eventually, and the idea that the Grizzlies are easier to sell without a star seems like a bunch of crap.  I mean, who wants a team that doesn't have a star and can't compete- sounds like a recipe for EMPTY STANDS to me!  And Empty stands for quite some time into the future too.

No it does not dumbass, just look at the Clippers.  They almost always seem to stay under the cap and/or avoid the luxury tax threshold.  Some teams don't care to compete because they can probably still make money the way the Clippers have done for decades.  Not eveyone has the same buisness model as a moron like you nor do they need to follow any teams methodology.  The Knicks and Clippers are at opposite ends of the spectrum, you would be hard pressed to determine they are in the same buisness based on their financials.  A team that doesn't have a star and can't compete sounds like the Sixers and a few other LEastern conference teams.

So the story out of the Grizzlies just doesn't add up.  It stinks and the rest of the NBA is crying about it.  Sour Grapes?  Or is is true that Pop never got a call, along with Ed Stefanski of the Sixers or anyone else with players to trade or expiring contracts!?

What a stupid, affirmative action, 1st and 15th way of thinking, why am I not surprised this is comming from you rick.  Pop and Ed didn't get a call?  What a load of horse shyte.  Pop doesnt need to GET a call, Pop MAKES calls, Pop makes moves to keep his team on top.  A GM's job is not to sit by the phone and hope somebody calls THEM with an awesome trade offer.  No wonder the Sixers suck shit, their GM sits around waiting for a handout like the Sixers are living the "1st and 15th fabulous lifestyle".  Any team whos GM is waiting around to GET a phone call is not worth his weight in crap, I can see your handout line of thinking now.  Explains alot. 

In fact, even trading Gasol has to make me wonder.  It is hard to get equal value in trade, so why trade- no one was forcing the Grizzlies to do anything.  This move doesn't make sense unless this is all being driven by financial considerations, like the present owner doesn't want to pay players to keep people in the stands while he tries to sell the team.

You brainless fuck wad.  That is EXACTLY what I've been saying all along.  IT IS FOR FINANCIAL CONSIDERATIONS!  The Grizz are having a fire sale and Gasol was the biggest cash item!  Pinche' Pendejo!  Bleeding Christ you are dense Rick!

There is no question that the Grizzlies are worth less today with the expiring contract and no star than they were with Gasol.  If the owner wants to gut the team, he's sure going about it the right way!

See previous comment dumbass. 

Typing bad words is not as much fun as saying them.  :-\  I need to hit the courts or rush hour traffic to truely appreciate a good verbal assualt.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »
Okay -- but if Pop wants that then fair is fair -- no teams getting into the lottery simply because their two All-Stars are injured get the ping pong ball for the most complete big man to ever come out of college.  Take away the ping pong ball from SA and give it to the next team who really deserves and needs it more.

Bet Pop wouldn't want that, would he?  Memphis made a STUPID trade -- and it made the Lakers an instant championship contender -- hmm, doesn't that sound familiar?  The Spurs ping pong ball went against all odds and made the Spurs an instant championship favorite. 

After all if we are really TRYING to be FAIR -- then let's be fair -- Philly really NEEDED a player like TD -- he could have turned their team around.  The Spurs had injury problems for ONE year, slipped in the lottery and overcame the odds to get the top pick.  If Pop wants to be fair, he should trade TD to the Sixers for Dalembert and call it even!

Come on Randy what you posted was just plain STUPID.  Pop made a comment about teams making obviously MORONIC decisions, and how it impacts the leagues competitive spirit.  Nowhere in his quote did he talk about FAIRNESS.  To bring up the luck of the draw in a draft has ABSOLUTELY NO RELEVANCE.  You don't get it, he was pounding Memphis for being stupid.  Bowie Kuhn overturned some trades in baseball (A's and Yanks, and A's Bo Sox), in the BEST INTERESTS OF THE GAME.  That is basically what Pop was talking about. 

I happen to think that the idea of a trade review committee is SILLY, and that last thing we need is for David Stern to get more ABSOLUTE POWERS.  The Lakers made a great trade, more power to them.  The Griz made a HORRIBLE trade, and Chris Wallace was a FOOL for doing the deal.  At the same time they have their goals and motivations, and Micheal Heisley has some plan so it is his money and his team, so let him screw it up if he wants to.

BTW glad to have you back.  It is too bad you chose to HIDE when the Lakers sucked, and only chose to come back once they pull off the trade of the century.

Okay, Ziggy -- I had to check twice on who posted this reply -- kept thinking it was Reality.  Classy post!

Geez Louise Randall you need to get a sense of humor.  You take yourself way to seriously.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 07:16:50 AM »

Geez Louise Randall you need to get a sense of humor.  You take yourself way to seriously.

Umm, my name is spelled with one "L" and Louise isn't part of my name.  Sometimes I take life way to seriously.  The reason I quit posting on this board was because I got angry just about every time I came here -- didn't enjoy it anymore.  I did miss discussing basketball and I found myself bored with the mindless drivel that comprised most of the posts on other boards.  When I quit enjoying posting here -- that's when I will quit again -- it won't be based on how well or how badly the Lakers are playing. 

As for Portland, how is the city welcoming the "new" Blazers success?  Is it winning back the fans that the "jailblazer" squad ran off?  I posted a reply to JoMal -- I'm thinking that Portland fans were ready to embrace a team that is playing well, that plays hard and doesn't have a huge chip on their shoulder.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 04:01:36 PM »
Well I'll see about getting a direct quote from said author Jeff McDonald.
In the meantime, here is LJ the husband of present employee WOAI Kori Ellis, LJ being a past emp:
http://www.woai.com/content/bios/story.aspx?content_id=a3db58db-c0cd-4c17-ae4c-64fe2fda4f51
"Uh, no. Pop is pissed.
This isn't the first time he's gone off on the trade. I saw a tape of his tirade when they were in Washington. He's genuinely pissed.
I do agree that there is something fishy about getting three late first rounders and a second rounder for one of the better bigs in the league. It has reeked of collusion since the first second I saw the trade. If you want to salary dump Gasol, you can get better deals than the one the Grizzlies got. Late first round draft picks and a mid second round draft pick? That's nothing.

There's no way the Grizzlies shopped Gasol for like two and a half years and this was their best offer. Either there was some collusion or Wallace needs to be locked up."

"No, Pop is upset about the trade. What was tongue in cheek was Pop's assertion that the NBA should create a committee to shoot down lopsided trades. He wasn't seriously suggesting that.  I also don't know that he believes the whole thing was an issue of collusion. Just that it was stupid on Memphis' part."   -Jeff McDonald today.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 06:14:09 PM »
Just to let you guys know there was an article in the OC Weekly on Jerry West in which he stated he had nothing to do with the trade.  He does not take part in the organization anymore when it comes to personnel and is quietly enjoying his time away from basketball.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 06:35:09 PM »
Just to let you guys know there was an article in the OC Weekly on Jerry West in which he stated he had nothing to do with the trade.  He does not take part in the organization anymore when it comes to personnel and is quietly enjoying his time away from basketball.

That was my first thought when I heard about the trade, did West pull a Kevin Mchale?  Turns out he hasn't been there for a while.  It is refreshing to FINALLY see Mitch do some work and have it payoff.  On todays game the Lakers LATE first round picks were analyized and they have been excellent, I guess Mitch was paying attention to West durring his training.  I will have to do some home work to find out if Mitch passed up on a better talent.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
Jerry West went on to say, "If i did broker a deal between the Grizz and Lakers of Gasol for Kwame, I would admit to doing so in the media for all the public to know".

This proves West had nothing to do with it.
Warehouse.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2008, 08:27:10 PM »

In addition to Jeff McDonalds furtherance,
Buck Harvey of Express News also expounded today:
Popovich said it with humor, but there was an edge there, too. He rarely criticizes other coaches or franchises, so "beyond comprehension" is some leap.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA021008.1Cbuck_0210.en.37cc151.html

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »

Umm, my name is spelled with one "L" and Louise isn't part of my name.  Sometimes I take life way to seriously.  The reason I quit posting on this board was because I got angry just about every time I came here -- didn't enjoy it anymore.  I did miss discussing basketball and I found myself bored with the mindless drivel that comprised most of the posts on other boards.  When I quit enjoying posting here -- that's when I will quit again -- it won't be based on how well or how badly the Lakers are playing. 

As for Portland, how is the city welcoming the "new" Blazers success?  Is it winning back the fans that the "jailblazer" squad ran off?  I posted a reply to JoMal -- I'm thinking that Portland fans were ready to embrace a team that is playing well, that plays hard and doesn't have a huge chip on their shoulder.

My post was a little cryptic, so hey no harm no foul.

Life is good in Blazer land.  Lots of sellouts, lots of energy in the Rose Garden.
We have made lots of progress, but we have a long ways to go.  We had 3 #1 picks last year, and none are playing this year, and we got rid of our top scorer and rebounder, and it looks like we will end up with 8-12 more wins.  Can't complain about that.  We aren't going to make the playoffs, but we are progressing.

This team is a good group.  Brandon Roy is by far the best player, not even close.  He is very smooth very seldom makes mistake, excellent passer, good shooter, and score at the rim with either hand.  He is really a talented player. 
Aldridge is going to a good player, but he has a ways to go.  Not all that hot as a rebounder, a little soft, and needs to work on his low post game.  Adding Oden will be a huge for him.  Przybilla is a really good defensive player, and does a great job of setting picks, but offensively he is pathetic.  He has made lots of progress on his FT, but he is really a bad offensive player.
Travis Outlaw has really come into his own, great 4th qtr player, good shooter, great off the dribble, great at creating space.  Monte Williams has done wonders with him (thanks Spurs for letting Monte and Pritchard go). 
Webster is OK, very inconsistent.  Right now he is accurate without a hand in his face, but if he doesn't get his feet set, or get a good catch he is really iffy.  I am not sure he will ever be much more than a James Jones, Jumaine Jones, Dell Curry type role player.
Jack, Blake, James Jones, Sergio, Frye are all nice role players.  I think Josh McRoberts is actually going to a solid pro as well.  I haven't seen him play much, but when I have I have been impressed.

It will be interesting next year when we add probably the 13th pick, as well as Oden and Rudy Fernandez (22 and the leading candidate for Spanish league MVP).  I fully expect us to try and upgrade our PG situation.  Jarrett Jack is OK, but I believe we can get more for him than we will eventually use him for (that doesn't make sense, but I think you get it).
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil