Author Topic: Timmy Dunks vs Shraqs legacy  (Read 833 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Timmy Dunks vs Shraqs legacy
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:57:53 AM »
Couple years ago after Tim Dunks and co took down Detroit for Title III, i asked if Duncan were to overtake Snaqs titles say 5 to 3 would that bolster his legacy above that of Shaqs?

Of course the Laker Bois chimed in thatShaqs Laker days could never be topped by anyone in the history of sport. 
Overnight he sucked once he discarded the Perple n Gold uniform.
 :D  "Warehouse."
Anywho while i admitted Shaqs legacy at the time trumped Duncans, my question was if Dunks pulled ahead 5 to 3 would that be enough to overtake Krishnadom in the media legacy dept?  Well, not Krishnadom of course because it swills any misinformation that glorifies Purple n Golden.  But how about mass media in general?  As we know, Shaq got title 4 with Miami so here we sit at 4-4.

Should Duncan overtake Shaq at 5-4 this year, especially if they face each other, does Duncan pull ahead of Shaq in legacyville?
Or does Duncan need to end his career at 6-4 or even 7-4 to overcome media bias in favor of Marketing Shaq?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:26:15 AM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Timmy Dunks vs Shraqs legacy
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »
Shaq is too past his prime for a current matchup to make much difference.  IMO if TD can repeat it would put him ahead of Shaq.  If TD could win a couple more titles it could also put him ahead of Shaq.  It would be like Kareem vs Wilt, finess over power.  Problem is TD can not dominate the league the way Shaq was able to do, to the average fan that will be a major factor.  Parker winning the MVP last year acutally hurt TD in comparrison to Shaq.  Shaq looked a little weaker in comparrison to TD when it was Wade that carried the Heat to a title, but now TD is in the same boat.

Then again if TD could beat Shaq down like a kid and make Shaq cry the way Shaq did to TD in 2001.  Then at least you would have an argument.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
In my view they are now even.  Meaning that most teams that think they're a center away would think that adding them would put them into contention.

If it was Duncan in Minnesota last year, he'd be in Boston now, but why should TD leave the Spurs?  Shaq might be a little old, but he'll prove that to us all this season one way or the other.

Before the Spurs won all those titles, Shaq was the man, but Duncan has won enough titles without Robinson to be on the same level with Shaq.

The Spurs and Celtics are the only teams not worried about trying to get Shaq.  And they are both worried about having to face him in the finals.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:24 AM »
In my view they are now even.  Meaning that most teams that think they're a center away would think that adding them would put them into contention.

If it was Duncan in Minnesota last year, he'd be in Boston now, but why should TD leave the Spurs?  Shaq might be a little old, but he'll prove that to us all this season one way or the other.

The Spurs and Celtics are the only teams not worried about trying to get Shaq.  And they are both worried about having to face him in the finals.

???

Before the Spurs won all those titles, Shaq was the man, but Duncan has won enough titles without Robinson to be on the same level with Shaq.

TD has won two titles without Robinson, but that doesn't matter, Shaq needed an all-star partner to win every title and in the Miami title Shaq was more of the supporter to Wade than the other way around.  TD has not repeated so I do not agree he is on the same level.  If TD can repeat then not only would he equal Shaq but IMO he would surpass because TD would have to repeat in one of the, if not the, toughest WC in history.  Hopefully there will be no injuries, refs or suspensions determining the title this year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"