Author Topic: Serious Spurs talk, do the Spurs need to make a move or not?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Serious Spurs talk, do the Spurs need to make a move or not?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
What has gone unnoticed by almost everyone is that the Spurs have started to turn up the defense.  And as most of us here truly understand: defense wins titles.

Here, here.  It hasn't gone unnoticed by me, Lurker.  In fact, I noticed they turned it up sometime during halftime the last time our teams met.  After barely playing D for the first half the Spurs put the clamps down in the 3rd.  Not many teams have the ability to do that other than the Spurs, Detroit and the Celts this year. 

When a team can honker down like that and all focus on stopping the other team that is HUGE and yes, that's what wins Championships.  The Spurs obviously still have that ability and that is why I see them coming out of the west again this year.  It's also why the Suns, Lakers, Denver and Golden State definitely won't.  These teams just don't play tough enough D on a consistent basis. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Serious Spurs talk, do the Spurs need to make a move or not?
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 06:47:16 PM »
What has gone unnoticed by almost everyone is that the Spurs have started to turn up the defense.  And as most of us here truly understand: defense wins titles.

Here, here.  It hasn't gone unnoticed by me, Lurker.  In fact, I noticed they turned it up sometime during halftime the last time our teams met.  After barely playing D for the first half the Spurs put the clamps down in the 3rd.  Not many teams have the ability to do that other than the Spurs, Detroit and the Celts this year. 

When a team can honker down like that and all focus on stopping the other team that is HUGE and yes, that's what wins Championships.  The Spurs obviously still have that ability and that is why I see them coming out of the west again this year.  It's also why the Suns, Lakers, Denver and Golden State definitely won't.  These teams just don't play tough enough D on a consistent basis. 

Well, that second against the Lakers was one of their best efforts all year IMO.  Although they turned on the same type of pressure against Indiana the other night after be tied at half.  IMO they haven't played more than 25-30 minutes (and more often 15-20) in many games this year.  I saw it against the Wizards last night on the second night of a back to back...a back & forth game through 3 quarters and down 1.  Then Spurs went on a 17-4 run early in the 4th and game was over basically. 

Reminds me a lot of the Lakers third title and year after when they thought they could just "flip the switch".  Too much of that "been there, done that" attitude and the competition is way to tough this year for that.  I really am hoping that their rodeo trip does produce that needed focus.  Otherwise I see 3-4 teams that would definately take a series from them: Mavs, Jazz, Pistons, Celtics.  And the maybes are the Suns (now after the trade), Lakers, and Hornets.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues