Author Topic: Serious Spurs talk, do the Spurs need to make a move or not?  (Read 3327 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Serious Spurs talk, do the Spurs need to make a move or not?
« on: February 06, 2008, 04:53:03 PM »
Do you guys think the Spurs need to make a move or is the core good enough for another run?  IMO the Spurs core, if healthy, is good enough "as is".  Obviously addeding a quality player would help but the Spurs don't have enough to trade with and giving up any of their main three would be a disaster unless they get something major in return.  Marion would have been the perfect fit with the Spurs, he is good enough on defense to fit in well with the Spurs and his athletcism would be the perfect counter measure to teams like the Suns, Mavs and Lakers. 

Who else is out there, that is a real posibility, that could help the Spurs for a title run this year.  Since the Spurs are so good at managing personnel and salaries it has actually worked against them this year where a bunch of lopsided trades are being made for expiring contracts.  It seems the Spurs have to trade away quality to get quality in return.  Does anybody think Chris Webber could have helped the Spurs?  A big man with a good outside shot would have been solid.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Serious Spurs talk, do the Spurs need to make a move or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »
Well if Tony Parker doesn't stay healthy I don't think there is anyone who can come in and fill his role.  He plays his role perfectly and has the speed to really put the opposiing teams defense on their heels.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »
I agree, WOW.  I think the Spurs will be fine and will be there in the end.  IMO, the Spurs and the Celts, when healthy, are the two best teams in the league regardless of what moves the Lakers / Suns / Dallas make. 

All these sports talk guys, and media types freaking out about the Spurs are morons.  Teams that get to that level realize that the NBA season is a sprint, not a marathon.  They're going to drop some games they should have one, and they're going to rest some guys and lose some games making sure guys get fully healthy (Parker) so that they can be there when it matters.  In "winnin' time" as Magic and our old buddy Rolando used to say. 

Stoudamire was a nice pick up to fill the void while Parker let's that bone spur heal completely.  He won't be as good as Parker, but he'll be good enough to keep them afloat while TP is out.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
Our guys should be ok, Just got to gel going into the playoffs and stay healthy.  All these moves in the West seem a bit scary at first but I think we will still be ok...I am not so nrevous about the Suns now that's for sure.  I think Dallas and LA look like the biggest road blocks for us.  We'll see if that stays the same as the playoffs get closer. 8)
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »
Hey SPURSX3, don't forget about Utah.  They're looking dangerous and their power trio could be a formidable challenge to your power trio. 

It's frightening how tough the west is this season. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »
I would have ranked the teams as far as who worried me in this order before the trades:

Dallas - far aheaad of the next team.  The last team to beat the Spurs in a series.
Phoenix - they see SA as their nemesis...IMO the move for Shaq shows this desparation.
Utah - Good players at the same positions as Spurs.  Korver adds the long range killer they missed last year
Denver - This team COULD be extremely dangerous...or fold.
LA - Outside of Kobe needed more playoff experience...especially Bynum, Ariza, Farmar, Turiaf
NO - too young this year
blah, blah, blah

After the trades...
Dallas - see above and I would add they seem to play their best ball vs the Spurs (in state rivalry IMO)
LA - Gasol gives them a dependable low post scorer with experience.
Utah - Along with Korver, AK seems rejunvenated
Denver - they will try to physically beat the Spurs into submission
Phoenix - whatever defense they had has been greatly diminished and the energy Marion brought is gone
NO - haven't gained any experience since the line above

As far as moves...the biggest thing the Spurs need is Parker to be healthy.  I stated earlier this year when he missed some games that he was the key to the Spurs success this season.  His ability to break down defenses and be a one man fast break are critical to the Spurs advancing in the playoffs.  Jacques Vaughan was servicable as a 10 minute a game backup but Mighty Mouse is better...especially on the offensive end.  And Pop has experimented a lot this year with a small ball lineup having two PGs on the court together (generally Parker moves to the SG spot).  With Horry's shooting stroke lost somewhere in the swamps outside of Houston and Barry unable to stay healthy for more than a week at a time Pop was searching for more firepower off the bench.

I saw earlier where Lakers fans scoffed at the idea of the Spurs being a outside team.  Actually you can break their record down betrween the games they shoot over 40% from the arc and those under.  If the Spurs don't hit their jumpers then the defense packs it in and they become a very ordinary team that stands and watches Duncan in the post.  The Spurs are currently 5th in the league in 3pt attempts per game and 6th in percentage.  They very much depend on the long ball to be a successful team.  So if the Spurs need to make any move it would be for a solid shooter ala Korver.  The Mike Miller suggestion would be a good one if Memphis would take back Barrdog, Elson and a couple late firsts.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 06:23:15 PM »
Nice break down Lurker!

Tony brings too much to the table.  Without him it doesn't matter what trade they can make because he is too important of a piece.  Essentially not only do you lose dribble penetration and easy hoops...you kinda lose Bowen's 3s on the side as well.  You also lose that legit one-two punch that Duncan/Parker bring.

How do you guys feel about Damon Stoudamire?  Certainly not even half of what TP is but I think he has one or two qualities the Spurs could use...shooting and exp.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 07:03:29 PM »
Tough one to figure, the Spurs, while aging, are still the one team that is most intimidating. They have played together for so long they flat out read each other's minds when it matters, I think that is one of their greatest strengths, they all know their roles and they all fill them so well.

If they have a weakness, it is the diminished ability of some of their key bench players, Barry and Horry. They have never seemed to be too concerned with standings, once they are in the playoffs, tha awesome team chemistry pushes them to a very high level of play. They are the one team that scares me whenever we play them. However, their road record has to be a concern, even if it is still fairly early.

Could they add another piece? Sure, who couldn't? But who will fit that role, not Webber, not a team player, although his slow style of play wold be a plus, he is not Spurs material. Stoudemire gives Parker some rest but as has been pointed out already, he is nowhere near the impact player Tony is on this squad.

No big men come to mind that would fit, and besides, until unseated from their throne, why mess with a club that epitomizes the word "team"? I think they stand pat. they are scary enough just the way they are.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 01:44:09 AM »
I saw that ESPN insider seems to think the Spurs will pull the trigger on a trade before Feb 21.  I think most of this talk is just garbage, most of the stuff I am reading - not just on this board - is a lot of Laker fans saying stuff like, "the Western conference is freaking out since the Gasol trade, just look at the Suns."  Ok, I thought the trade was good for the Lakers and a dumb mistake for Memphis, and that's about as far as I worried about the whole thing.  The Shaq trade worried me more upon hearing that news, but I began to realize that Shaq is not what he used to be, he is slow, and he will slow the offense down greatly, let the Suns try to run a half court game on the Spurs and see what happens, the best shot they had on us was to run.  None of this news worries me more than Boston huge summer rebuild.   I can't imagine any player that would fit into our system in order to help us out in time for playoffs.  I don't see Pop pulling the trigger on anything before the trade deadline. 

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:29:35 AM »
I can't imagine any player that would fit into our system in order to help us out in time for playoffs. 

I can think of a few...

Kobe
LeBron
Wade (healthy)
Dwight
Ray Ray

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »
I saw that ESPN insider seems to think the Spurs will pull the trigger on a trade before Feb 21.  I think most of this talk is just garbage, most of the stuff I am reading - not just on this board - is a lot of Laker fans saying stuff like, "the Western conference is freaking out since the Gasol trade, just look at the Suns."  Ok, I thought the trade was good for the Lakers and a dumb mistake for Memphis, and that's about as far as I worried about the whole thing.  The Shaq trade worried me more upon hearing that news, but I began to realize that Shaq is not what he used to be, he is slow, and he will slow the offense down greatly, let the Suns try to run a half court game on the Spurs and see what happens, the best shot they had on us was to run.  None of this news worries me more than Boston huge summer rebuild.   I can't imagine any player that would fit into our system in order to help us out in time for playoffs.  I don't see Pop pulling the trigger on anything before the trade deadline. 

I have been reading a couple of articles that one of the reason that sparked the Suns trade was that the Mavs where trying to get Shaq.  The Suns jumped on Shaq in order to keep him out of a Mavs uniform as much as it was getting rid Marion and his "drama".
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 10:02:50 AM »

I dont think any of us said everyone in the west is scared.  I believe the Suns were scared about the move but I don't think anyone else is "scared" I think they might be concerned but not scared.  Any move that is big like that should concern teams in the same conference but scared...nah. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »
How do you guys feel about Damon Stoudamire?  Certainly not even half of what TP is but I think he has one or two qualities the Spurs could use...shooting and exp.

I like Damon's game.  He has the ability to provide a nice offensive spark off the bench.  Not a pure shooter but consistant enough to help our bench.  Also he has better ball handling skills than Vaughan...although Vaughan is the better defender.

The main problem is learning the system.  Dump to Timmy and watch is easy but the defensive side of the ball is different.  And Pop doesn't play people who miss defensive rotations and assignments.  So having all the offensive firepower in the world with no defense will earn you nothing more than a suit & tie (along with a good courtside seat) from the Spurs.  Stoudemire is saying all the right things about understanding his role and what is expected of him.  He claims to have been interested in joining the Spurs before Parker's injury.

And this is really the closest thing you will see from Pop as far as desperation moves...unless a top ten 3 point shooter becomes suddenly available.  The last time he made a move during the season was trading Malik Rose for Nazr.  Pop hates making midseason moves...he beleives that it takes a year for a player to really learn the Spurs system.  And he hates messing with team chemistry.

Speaking of team chemistry...the Spurs have started a little tradition for their rodeo road trip.  The players all grow out their beards for the 2-3 weeks.  They play the Celtics this Sunday on ABC...take a look...some of these guys should never be allowed to grow facial hair.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
I can't imagine any player that would fit into our system in order to help us out in time for playoffs. 

I can think of a few...

Kobe
LeBron
Wade (healthy)
Dwight
Ray Ray

But WHO would the Spurs lose to gain these guys, I don't see them trading any of our big three, so that leaves everyone else, which in my opinion will not get a lot back in a trade, atleast nothing worth trading for to begin with.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
Can't tell yet, have to see how much better or worse the Lakers and Suns are.  The Spurs seemed ready to take on the Celtics as is, so it only makes sense to change if they think the Lakers or Suns have moved ahead, or if Dallas is now a serious road block to their chances.

Even if a move is warranted, what kind of a trade could they make to counteract what the Suns and Lakers have done?  It's not as though there are a lot of good Center/PF's out there that would fit right in with the Spurs.

The biggest problem is that they maybe too old. Barry and Horry look like they're done. Tony probably likes playing house with Eva even more than he likes winning. It will take a huge amount of work to fix that problem and the Spurs don't have too many cards to play.

Before the trade the Celtics were the team to beat.  So far, they still are.