Author Topic: Another shift of power in the West? Shaq heading back to the land of Sunshine!!  (Read 12250 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Another shift of power in the West? Shaq heading back to the land of Sunshi
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »
It's not the five man fast break.  Its the spacing of the 5 players who can pretty much shoot from anywhere on the floor.  You have a center with a jumper and a guy playing PF who can hit a 3.   You dont want to run a 4 or 5 man break anyways.  You really want a 3 man break.  So its not so much about that as it is 1) Shaq having to run back and forth more and 2) Spacing of shooters/moving with out the ball.  If you dump it into Shaq who has to be right next to the basket to score then you now have a defender right in the middle of the paint.  Whereas before if Amare was at the 5 he could take you off the dribble at the elbow, he could jump over you, he could hit a baseline jumper.....

Shaq does NOT have to run up and down the court everytime, just like Kareem didn't just like half the Suns DON'T do now.  That is my point about the Suns break.  Even with run and gun you have to maintain some sort of court balance and with the Suns 7 second philosophy you MUST have some guys back "cherry picking" defending.  I'll take Shaq's "effectiveness" over Marion's "versatility" any day in PLAYOFF basketball.  Not to mention Shaq generates fouls on the opposing teams big men, it remains to be seen if Shaq himself can stay out of foul trouble trying to patrol the paint.  If you have to dump the ball into Shaq the same thing will happen that has always happened.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »
It's not the five man fast break.  Its the spacing of the 5 players who can pretty much shoot from anywhere on the floor.  You have a center with a jumper and a guy playing PF who can hit a 3.   You dont want to run a 4 or 5 man break anyways.  You really want a 3 man break.  So its not so much about that as it is 1) Shaq having to run back and forth more and 2) Spacing of shooters/moving with out the ball.  If you dump it into Shaq who has to be right next to the basket to score then you now have a defender right in the middle of the paint.  Whereas before if Amare was at the 5 he could take you off the dribble at the elbow, he could jump over you, he could hit a baseline jumper.....

Shaq does NOT have to run up and down the court everytime, just like Kareem didn't just like half the Suns DON'T do now.  That is my point about the Suns break.  Even with run and gun you have to maintain some sort of court balance and with the Suns 7 second philosophy you MUST have some guys back "cherry picking" defending.  I'll take Shaq's "effectiveness" over Marion's "versatility" any day in PLAYOFF basketball.  Not to mention Shaq generates fouls on the opposing teams big men, it remains to be seen if Shaq himself can stay out of foul trouble trying to patrol the paint.  If you have to dump the ball into Shaq the same thing will happen that has always happened.

If he doesn't run up and down the court each time you will see him get into foul trouble real fast if they miss a shot.  He's not agile enough to defend guys running full speed at him off a long rebound.  And apparently you haven't seen many Heat games this year because Shaq actually has done more damage to himself plowing through guys then he has getting them into foul trouble.  He actually is very good at getting himself into foul trouble and I would argue the Heat are a better defensive team then the Suns.  Let's not even touch the subject of Shaq and his "touches" he needs to play defense.  It would be nice if they have a chance to run that they would just do it but the big cry baby could do what he did in Miami...complain about touches and refuse to put in effort until he gets more.  Real talk...he should be like the 3/4th option on this team.

Ill take Marion's defense over Shaq's anyday.  Now you have Grant Hill and his bad ankle trying to guard the likes of Manu, Lamar, Josh Howard, Peja (worked real well last night didn't it?) , and Tracy Mcgrady.  Then you place a weak defender on people like Tim Duncan, Carlos Boozer, Yao Ming etc?  Either way, Shaq or no Shaq,  the Suns are not going to be a solid defensive team in the post but in a league that seems to be shifting towards perimeter players you would want a quick off the ground, foot speed type guy like Marion.

Btw..."The Suns will be looking to add another player in the next few weeks, general manager Steve Kerr said. "
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:31:02 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Besides the simple fact that Duncan's shot was much, much closer to the FT line (inside the key) than the arc.  But revisionist history was always one of your strong suits.

That was a lucky or miracle shot was well.  Shaq defended TD perfectly, short of blocking the shot, but Duncan still "chucked" it in off balance and falling down if I remember correctly.

I didn't deny it being classified as such.  I just disputed the location on the court.  And yes it was an off balance shot in the final half  second of the game...and my guess is that 99.999999999% of all shots taken in the final fraction of seconds are off balance chucks that are lucky to find the net.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
I am looking forward to Shaq/Nash defending a Duncan/Parker pick and roll.  Especially with weakside defenders like Amare and Grant.  Poor Raja!

Shaq doesn't have to run the fast break, I agree.  However how many fast breaks came off of Marion steals?  How many from Shawn's long reach and deflections?  If Amare is now filling the lane on the break who is going to help Shaq get the board? 

What happens to the Suns FT shooting - currently 5th in the league?  Especially with Shaq getting more attempts than Marion but shooting at about half the rate?

If Shaq is in the low post how does Amare get to the rim?  If Shaq drifts out to 10-12 feet then he won't be double teamed.  If Shaq passes out of the post does it turn Nash into a jumpshooter?

Will the Suns really be able to maintain as many possessions as they do now?  Dumping the ball into Shaq in the post could lead to fewer possessions as the game slows down.  If the Suns develop better chemistry over the next couple weeks with Shaq out what happens when he is "ready"?  How long will Shaq be happy as a third or fourth option?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Wow -- I'm going to have to take another absence from this board (as well as see a therapist) because Lurker is FINALLY starting to make some sense!  (that comment alone is gonna take a couple years of therapy all by itself -- Lurker, please send me your billing address). 

People seem to see Shaq as a "add-on" to the Suns offense -- they keep forgetting somehow that the addition of Shaq came at an INCREDIBLE cost of losing Marion -- who was their BEST player!  Sure, Nash is their leader and orchestrates the offense but Marion was their best defender, rebounder and their best finisher at the basket. 

The Suns seem to think that addition is happening even though the negative number here is FAR greater than the number being added.  All I have to say is that the chemistry must have been VERY VERY VERY bad for the Suns to pull the trigger on this trade.  The Suns are going to regret this!

Now it's time for my therapy session!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
The cool thing about this discussion is we will actually get an answer.  It's not like comparring teams from different eras.  I really don't know what is going to happen but I've given it my best guess, I don't know who Randy is referring to as not taking into account the negative of losing Marion.

Lurker is going to be VERY disappointed about how Shaq/Nash will defend TD/Parker.  VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!

It will be interesting to say the least but my guess will be proven or disproven in the PLAYOFFS.  Good analysis guys.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

Lurker is going to be VERY disappointed about how Shaq/Nash will defend TD/Parker.  VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!

Nash/Amare had trouble stopping the pick and roll.  Parker was constantly in the lane against the Suns.  And I would say that Amare is a more mobile defender than Shaq.  So either Parker or Duncan will have the ball near the rim OR Shaq will quickly be on the bench with foul trouble.  Either way is a good situation for the Spurs.

Good analysis guys.

This I can agree with W.O.W.              8)
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile

Nash/Amare had trouble stopping the pick and roll.  Parker was constantly in the lane against the Suns.  And I would say that Amare is a more mobile defender than Shaq.  So either Parker or Duncan will have the ball near the rim OR Shaq will quickly be on the bench with foul trouble.  Either way is a good situation for the Spurs.

The reason you WILL be disappointed is because Shaq/Nash will play NO defense.  How can you enjoy watching something that does NOT exist?  Answer the Mr. Smarty!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Shaq at his prime could never defend the screen and roll.  That was always one of the main weakness of the Shaq/Kobe Championship squads. 

I don't know if the Lakers can beat the Suns in the playoffs this year, but I'm quite confident the Spurs can.  I don't see the Suns coming out of the West this year before or after this trade.  Between Hill, Nash, and now Shaq they'll have some age / injury issues.  Now the media will have to quit harping on SA getting old and re-focus their attention to the Suns. 

I'd love to see Miami start ripping off a bunch of W's now with the Matrix. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

The reason you WILL be disappointed is because Shaq/Nash will play NO defense.  How can you enjoy watching something that does NOT exist?  Answer the Mr. Smarty!

Kind of like the way Laker fans enjoy Kobe going off for 80.  I'll manage.   ;D
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Wow -- I'm going to have to take another absence from this board
Starting when?  What will bandwaggon you back next time?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »
Wow -- I'm going to have to take another absence from this board
Starting when?  What will bandwaggon you back next time?

Oh the Irony  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »
Trade 1: Shawn Marion and Eric Piatkowski to Indiana for Jermaine O'Neal

Why: O'Neal is six years younger than Shaq. He's a better shot-blocker and defender and he's more equipped to run the floor in the style the Suns like to play. He has been sidelined with a bone bruise, but he would have likely been back in two weeks.

For the Pacers, this would have given them a chance to reinvent themselves. Marion would have become the man on the team -- something he's wanted for years -- and the Pacers would have saved some money and likely gotten back into the playoff race in the East.

In my opinion, this would've been a much better deal for the Suns.

Trade 2: Shawn Marion to Chicago for Ben Wallace and Tyrus Thomas

Why: Wallace may be on the decline, but he's still a better defender and more athletic than Shaq. Big Ben has two years and $29 million left on his deal after this season, which is $11 million less than Shaq.

Thomas is an excellent prospect whom the Suns loved in the draft two years ago. He has the ability to do some of the things that Marion did with the Suns, especially on the offensive end of the floor. The Suns also love Joakim Noah, though I think they would have opted for Thomas, given the choice.

As for the Bulls, they need to do something. Marion is more of a 3 than a 4, but put him at the 4 and Noah at the 5, and the Bulls could have been very effective in an up-tempo type of game.

Trade 3: Shawn Marion to Philadelphia for Samuel Dalembert and Kevin Ollie

Why: Everyone is talking about the Sixers' desire for cap room, but if they got their hands on a player like Marion, they might already be looking at a strong playoff team. Put him on the floor with Andre Iguodala and Andre Miller and the Sixers would look like a playoff sleeper.

Dalembert is younger and more athletic and a better rebounder and shot-blocker than Shaq. And while he makes a lot of money, Dalembert's contract (for the next three seasons) averages only $12 million per season, considerably less than Shaq's deal.

Trade 4: Shawn Marion and the Hawks' No. 1 pick to Memphis for Darko Milicic and Mike Miller

Why: Darko is still an unproven commodity, but he's huge and he rebounds and blocks shots. He's also an excellent athlete who can get up the floor better than Shaq. Miller's sharpshooting abilities would have made him an excellent fit in the Phoenix offense.

As for the Grizzlies, they are in cost-cutting mode and could have saved a considerable amount of money if Marion, unhappy with being shipped to Memphis, opted out of his contract this summer. Even if Marion stayed for another season, the trade would have opened up a huge amount of cap room for the team in the summer of 2009. They'd also highly value that Hawks' pick.

Category 2: Best value for Marion
Here are a couple of deals that get the Suns back value for Marion, but not the defensive presence in the middle that they're looking for.

Trade 1: Shawn Marion to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko

Why: The Suns would not have gotten a big, bruising center, but they would have walked away with a much better defender (than Shaq) for their system. Kirilenko can run the floor, block shots, get steals and hit the glass. It would have required Stoudemire to stay at the 5, but in the long run, Kirilenko would have been a great fit in Phoenix.

For the Jazz, Kirilenko still isn't a great fit with Carlos Boozer on the floor. Marion is a better fit and would have given the Jazz a better perimeter defender and someone who could score in more ways than Kirilenko can.

Trade 2: Shawn Marion and Grant Hill to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic, Josh Boone and Jamaal Magloire

Why: Jefferson would have been a great fit in Phoenix on the offensive end and Boone and Magloire would have given them two big bodies to help out on the defensive end. Krstic could have been a big help down the road, if he returned from his injury problems.

The Nets would like to blow up their team. And since moving Jason Kidd and Vince Carter has proven difficult, this would have been another way to go. Marion would have helped them on rebounding and the defensive end and Hill could have been another nice veteran to fill in at the 3.

In short, it appears that any of these deals would've better positioned the Suns to compete for a championship both now and in the future.

Only time will tell whether Kerr's big gamble pays off for the Suns. But we won't have to wait long to find out the answer. If the Suns don't bring home the title with Shaq this season, this could go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. If they win it all, like Kerr said, they'll look like geniuses.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2008, 08:45:38 PM »

You should probably give credit to your sources, you never know who's lurking around here.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...%3dSuns-080207
Could the Suns have gotten a better deal for Marion?
Ford

By Chad Ford

Updated: February 7, 2008

Shaquille O'Neal

Shaq says he looks good in purple, but there are other big men who might have looked even better.

Another Christmas Day in February?

After the Los Angeles Lakers got a gift-wrapped Pau Gasol last week, are the Miami Heat getting a similar present from Santa this week?

Around the NBA, everyone from general managers to sportswriters to fans are flabbergasted at the Shaquille O'Neal for Shawn Marion trade.

The Big Diesel is 35 going on 36, injured again, out of shape and having the worst year of his career. Miami, with the worst record in the NBA, is imploding and can't go anywhere in the standings until they get rid of O'Neal's contract, which has about $50 million remaining.

Several NBA GMs I spoke with believe that the Heat-Suns trade is more lopsided than the recent trade of Gasol to the Lakers, for which the Memphis Grizzlies received little in return.

How could the Heat get one of the most talented players in the league for a 35-year-old center they wanted to give away?

Remember, the talk last year was about the Suns' trading Marion in a three-way deal for Kevin Garnett -- a guy who is currently a front-runner in the MVP race.

But Marion for Shaq?

Listen to one GM talk about Marion: "Our team thinks Marion is still one of the top 10 players in the league. He's so good defensively. He reminds me a bit of Ron Artest back when he was playing well in Indiana. On any given night he could go out there and shut down the opposing team's best player. Marion is so long, athletic and quick, he can guard just about anyone. Add in his offense and I think he's one of the most valuable players in the league."

And Shaq? Said the same GM: "He can't guard anyone. He can't get up and down the floor. You'd expect a desperate team like the Knicks or Nets to make a move for Shaq ? but the Suns? I still can't believe it. They are making a huge mistake. Trading Marion for Shaq will destroy that team, not only this year, but for years to come. I'm sure [Lakers owner] Jerry Buss and [Mavericks owner] Mark Cuban are thrilled."

That may be an overly negative view of Shaq, who can still muscle his way around the basket on the offensive end. He may not be his formerly dominant self, but he is still averaging 14 points and nearly eight rebounds while shooting nearly 60 percent from the field. However, his lack of defense, effort and good health put his value seriously into question on any team; and on the Suns it appears to be the worst possible fit.

So ... what was Suns GM Steve Kerr thinking?

Over the course of the past few months we've known that Kerr was out there looking for a tough inside presence to replace the guy he gave away in the summer -- Kurt Thomas. That makes this deal all the more confusing. With the Suns sending signals that they want to improve their defense, why did they trade their best defender for a guy who hasn't been a major defender in the league for the past two seasons?

Matrix can defend every position. Did the Suns get enough in return?

The rumblings we're all hearing point to chemistry issues between Marion and the rest of the team. Amare Stoudemire is reportedly for the Shaq trade. So is Steve Nash. But players don't make great GMs (just ask Kobe Bryant). Are they giving away a key component of their team just to pacify some personal feelings?

The rumblings also point to a philosophical disagreement between Kerr and coach Mike D'Antoni. D'Antoni's style of basketball emphasized offense. Kerr thinks that without a better defensive effort, the Suns can't go all the way.

"If it works, I'm a genius," Kerr said. "If it doesn't, I'm a moron, I guess."

Finally, at least one source says that owner Robert Sarver is starstruck. He still views Shaq as a dominant player. Clearly he hasn't watched the big fella play in a while.

So if the Shaq deal is really that bad for the Suns, and if the Suns really are desperate for size and interior defense, couldn't they have done much better than Shaq? The answer seems to be a resounding yes.

Here are some potential deals that would have been a better fit for Phoenix. I've broken them into two categories.

Category 1: Add size, trade Marion
Following the parameters set forth in the actual Shaq-to-the-Suns trade ? were there better big men available for Marion?

Why: O'Neal is six years younger than Shaq. He's a better shot-blocker and defender and he's more equipped to run the floor in the style the Suns like to play. He has been sidelined with a bone bruise, but he would have likely been back in two weeks.

For the Pacers, this would have given them a chance to reinvent themselves. Marion would have become the man on the team -- something he's wanted for years -- and the Pacers would have saved some money and likely gotten back into the playoff race in the East.

In my opinion, this would've been a much better deal for the Suns.

Trade 2: Shawn Marion to Chicago for Ben Wallace and Tyrus Thomas

Why: Wallace may be on the decline, but he's still a better defender and more athletic than Shaq. Big Ben has two years and $29 million left on his deal after this season, which is $11 million less than Shaq.

Thomas is an excellent prospect whom the Suns loved in the draft two years ago. He has the ability to do some of the things that Marion did with the Suns, especially on the offensive end of the floor. The Suns also love Joakim Noah, though I think they would have opted for Thomas, given the choice.

As for the Bulls, they need to do something. Marion is more of a 3 than a 4, but put him at the 4 and Noah at the 5, and the Bulls could have been very effective in an up-tempo type of game.

Trade 3: Shawn Marion to Philadelphia for Samuel Dalembert and Kevin Ollie

Why: Everyone is talking about the Sixers' desire for cap room, but if they got their hands on a player like Marion, they might already be looking at a strong playoff team. Put him on the floor with Andre Iguodala and Andre Miller and the Sixers would look like a playoff sleeper.

Dalembert is younger and more athletic and a better rebounder and shot-blocker than Shaq. And while he makes a lot of money, Dalembert's contract (for the next three seasons) averages only $12 million per season, considerably less than Shaq's deal.

Trade 4: Shawn Marion and the Hawks' No. 1 pick to Memphis for Darko Milicic and Mike Miller

Why: Darko is still an unproven commodity, but he's huge and he rebounds and blocks shots. He's also an excellent athlete who can get up the floor better than Shaq. Miller's sharpshooting abilities would have made him an excellent fit in the Phoenix offense.

As for the Grizzlies, they are in cost-cutting mode and could have saved a considerable amount of money if Marion, unhappy with being shipped to Memphis, opted out of his contract this summer. Even if Marion stayed for another season, the trade would have opened up a huge amount of cap room for the team in the summer of 2009. They'd also highly value that Hawks' pick.

Category 2: Best value for Marion
Here are a couple of deals that get the Suns back value for Marion, but not the defensive presence in the middle that they're looking for.

Trade 1: Shawn Marion to Utah for Andrei Kirilenko

Why: The Suns would not have gotten a big, bruising center, but they would have walked away with a much better defender (than Shaq) for their system. Kirilenko can run the floor, block shots, get steals and hit the glass. It would have required Stoudemire to stay at the 5, but in the long run, Kirilenko would have been a great fit in Phoenix.

For the Jazz, Kirilenko still isn't a great fit with Carlos Boozer on the floor. Marion is a better fit and would have given the Jazz a better perimeter defender and someone who could score in more ways than Kirilenko can.

Trade 2: Shawn Marion and Grant Hill to New Jersey for Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic, Josh Boone and Jamaal Magloire

Why: Jefferson would have been a great fit in Phoenix on the offensive end and Boone and Magloire would have given them two big bodies to help out on the defensive end. Krstic could have been a big help down the road, if he returned from his injury problems.

The Nets would like to blow up their team. And since moving Jason Kidd and Vince Carter has proven difficult, this would have been another way to go. Marion would have helped them on rebounding and the defensive end and Hill could have been another nice veteran to fill in at the 3.

In short, it appears that any of these deals would've better positioned the Suns to compete for a championship both now and in the future.

Only time will tell whether Kerr's big gamble pays off for the Suns. But we won't have to wait long to find out the answer. If the Suns don't bring home the title with Shaq this season, this could go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history. If they win it all, like Kerr said, they'll look like geniuses.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2008, 08:51:46 PM »