Author Topic: Another shift of power in the West? Shaq heading back to the land of Sunshine!!  (Read 12219 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
I have to agree with most of the comments here...as a fan of another western contender I have just one thing to say:

ALL RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Suns just destroyed their chances IMO.  Now instead of having one of the most versatile defenders (Marion) in the league you have another "reach" defender.  Shaq's biggest problem this year was that he defended by reaching and was in constant foul trouble.  I can't see this improving no matter how much faking was involved in Shaq's injury.  Now the Suns have Nash, Amare and Shaq on defense.  Nash can't stay in front of any of the speedy young guards.  Amare only plays defense 20-25% of the time.  And Shaq can't guard anyone with a pulse and 2 feet.  The Suns used Marion to defend Parker last year...who will this year?

The only hope for the Suns really is that Diaw realizes he can play like he did 2 years ago and Amare decides to play defense from the PF position.

A interesting question...why do ex-Bulls (John Paxson, Steve Kerr and Michael Jordan) suck at being GMs?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:04:55 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Another shift of power in the West? Shaq heading back to the land of Sunshi
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »
Shaq will get another title if the trade goes through.

HAHAHAHA Now im falling out of my chair.  Then right when I got back up I read this....

This nullifies the advantage gained by LA with Gasol.  This gives the Suns the answer to the Mavericks and Spurs.   This puts the Suns ahead of Detroit and probably Boston.

I am now going to post from the ground for the rest of this thread and ive decided I dont need to go to the gym to work my abs.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:08:57 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
the only possible way the Suns could make this work is if they run the same type of high/low offense the Spurs ran when it was David and Tim, which I don't think they could get that game down after being slapped around with the D'Antoni stick for so long...I can't see them getting out of the second round of the playoffs...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
I can't see them getting out of the second round of the playoffs...

I can't see them maintaining a top 4 seed.  Which means they will start on the road and will be pushed to win the first round.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I guess all the "die hard" Laker fans have forgotten about the REPEAT Showtime/Slowtime Lakers.  The Lakers had the best balance of fast break and half court set basketball.  This was with 40+ year old Kareem.  I remember a game where I think it was the Jazz were called for an illegal defense because Mark Eaton was practically sleeping in the lane.  Half the Jazz pointed at Kareem who had not yet gotten across the half court line because the play had started as a fast break but they where stopped and started their half court set.  Since Kareem hadn't crossed the half court line the call was reversed and play continued.  Anyway, it is possible for the Suns to continue their style of basketball with Shaq and slow it down every now and then for Shaq to catch up.  It could work BUT IMO they lost waaaaaaaaaay too much with Marion being gone.  They now have nobody to match up with Dirk or Odom, two likely playoff opponents.  Shaq will not command a double team as much as used too but the real problem is Shaq will have the ball in his hands and every second that Shaq has the ball and Nash doesn't is a second that the Suns will lose ground.  Shaq will not get his team mates the great looks that Nash does BUT on the flip Nash could put the ball in places for Shaq to get nothing but DUNKS!  This could be fun to watch if the new face Suns meet the Spurs or Lakers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
They now have nobody to match up with Dirk or Odom, two likely playoff opponents.

Marion couldn't guard Odom, anyway.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
They now have nobody to match up with Dirk or Odom, two likely playoff opponents.

Marion couldn't guard Odom, anyway.

Pretty much but it required a SUSTAINED effort from Odom and Odom couldn't keep it up for an entire series.  Come crunch time Odom was not producing against Marion either.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 05:53:16 PM »
Does anyone think Rick has lost it?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 05:55:47 PM »
Does anyone think Rick has lost it?

You have to have "it" before you can lose it.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Touche' Lurker and 'Koast, Rick has had his flights of fantasy in the past but this one is beyond the pale.

Rick, I now declare this the dumbest post you have ever made, indeed, only one poster on this board could post something dumber, and you came close to that level here.

WOW, are you serious or merely mocking Rick? Please tell me mocking, I hate to think a Laker fan is that clueless.

If this trade goes through, the Suns are DONE, note this day and what I say, because I will send rick some crow to roast when they get bounced in the first or at the most second round.
Dan

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
ESPN is now reporting it's a done deal. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Touche' Lurker and 'Koast, Rick has had his flights of fantasy in the past but this one is beyond the pale.

Rick, I now declare this the dumbest post you have ever made, indeed, only one poster on this board could post something dumber, and you came close to that level here.

WOW, are you serious or merely mocking Rick? Please tell me mocking, I hate to think a Laker fan is that clueless.

If this trade goes through, the Suns are DONE, note this day and what I say, because I will send rick some crow to roast when they get bounced in the first or at the most second round.

Are you seriously telling me you have a rose colored memory of Kareem's final three years with the Lakers?  The Showtime Lakers at that.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »

*Channels Reality*

So what your saying W.O.W is the Suns are going to be as good as the Lakers were those year
ha another tecate Miguel

You also think Rick is on the money. Ok

Are you seriously telling me you have a rose colored memory of Kareem's final three years with the Lakers?  The Showtime Lakers at that.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email

He's really tellin ya rick.  His predictions carry a lot of weight.
You know how his previous post on this subject went.
Funny but Miami was just about convinced the title was in the bag once "The Big by Large by Fat" arrived in town, but as we Laker fans know, his presense guarentee's nothing but windfall profits at the local Burger King.  February 10, 2006.

I hate to clue a Laker Fan that thinkless. :D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 12:50:30 AM »

*Channels Reality*

So what your saying W.O.W is the Suns are going to be as good as the Lakers were those year
ha another tecate Miguel

You also think Rick is on the money. Ok

Reality Channel speak:

No what I'm saying is that with Shaq on the squad the Suns are guaranteed a title unless they don't win it cause of Sternfish, then we will also see the extent of tainting!  So just to make it clear the Suns will not win a single game with Shaq on the team except when they are on winning juice which will cause them to only lose games that they don't win.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"