Author Topic: Gasol to Lakers for Kwame. Scam collusion trade pulled off  (Read 8946 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Gasol to Lakers for Kwame. Scam collusion trade pulled off
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2008, 09:48:24 PM »
$49,364,154.  The Collins for Swift deal was a equal $ wash.

So they have as much cap space as the mid-level exemption, without getting to use the mid-level, because they are under the cap.  So they have no space to sign anyone beyond what they could have done before the deal.

Ignoring the draft picks for a moment, you're #'s off.  If they have $49.3 million committed, they'd have significantly more than the MLE.  The cap number for THIS YEAR is set at 55.63 million.  Most estimates for next year have the cap at around $58 million.  That's a low estimate, and it very well might be higher.  At $58 million, they're looking at between 9 and 10 million in cap space, not the MLE (ca $5.3 million).  Even this year, if the cap saw no increase at all (which would be entirely unprecedented.  the cap has gone up over $6 million the last two years), they'd have about $6.8 million.  and again, there's no chance the cap doesn't increase this offseason (the cap # is set in July).

Also, the #3/#23 combination would be about $4 million.  Those numbers are set:
http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

Next year the #3 pick is slated to make $3.2 million.  The 23rd $941k.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2008, 11:57:27 PM »
It takes something like this for me to come back to this board -- this is a FANTASTIC deal for the Lakers!  Just thinking about how Reality is worshipping the porcelain god right now is simply thick rich icing on the purple and gold cake.  The Lakers already had a strong bench and had teams very uncomfortable with facing them in the playoffs (esp. Suns and Mavs) but now the Spurs have reason to be very concerned.  As long as this team can become healthy by playoff time, this trade makes the Lakers even favorites with the Spurs for an NBA title. 

Wow, can't believe this is true!  While this doesn't turn around the Lakers like McHale did the Celtics this year -- the Celts never had a chance this year at a title (other than being proclaimed the Eastern Conference Champions) -- with this Laker line-up healthy, it turns into a championship run!

Also, it seems like most aren't realizing that the Lakers traded Kwame Brown (just trading this guy makes the Lakers a better team!!!), Crittendom, two future 1st round draft picks and the rights to Pau's brother, Marc Gasol (who is doing VERY well in Spain right now -- if you look at Reality's translation from Euro ball to the NBA -- this guy is a 30/15 player in the NBA next year).

It's a GREAT day to be a Laker fan! 

Welcome back...we can now take your name off the milk carton.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 01:08:26 AM »
Congrats Laker fans!

You were just the recipient of the most mind-boggingly one-sided trade in my lifetime.  I'm stunned and speechless at just how much Memphis gave up for how little!  I don't even get it, Memphis brings in Gasol's best friend on the Spanish national team (Navarro) then gets rid of him for KWAME!  KWAME!  You then spend a Top 3 pick on a PG, Mike Conley, who has played well when not injured (about three times better than Crittendon), then you trade for Crittendon.  So you get Kwame which means your team is not only worst by the subtraction of Gasol, its exponentially worst by the addition of Kwame Brown, you get Crittendon, a PG-combo guard when you are absolutely STOCKLOADED TO THE GILLS with young, promising PG-combo guards (Navarro, Conley, Lowry, Kinsey, on and on, etc.), and you get 2 first round picks which are guaranteed to be 25-30 based on how good a record the Lakers will be getting for the next half decade.  You give up Gasol, a 20-10-4-2 Block Franchise big man IN HIS PRIME!!  Wow, just . . . wow. 

Its gotta feel good when something is that neatly gift-wrapped.  The Lakers are immediate #1 contendors to the championship right now, higher than Boston and San Antonio, and for the forseeable future (next 5 to 6 years).  Memphis won't sniff being a top notch team for at least as long as they've been a franchise (12 years).  Highway robbery doesn't begin to define this deal.  Randy put it nice and concise:  Its a good day to be a Laker Fan!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 02:45:37 AM »
$49,364,154.  The Collins for Swift deal was a equal $ wash.

So they have as much cap space as the mid-level exemption, without getting to use the mid-level, because they are under the cap.  So they have no space to sign anyone beyond what they could have done before the deal.

Ignoring the draft picks for a moment, you're #'s off.  If they have $49.3 million committed, they'd have significantly more than the MLE.  The cap number for THIS YEAR is set at 55.63 million.  Most estimates for next year have the cap at around $58 million.  That's a low estimate, and it very well might be higher.  At $58 million, they're looking at between 9 and 10 million in cap space, not the MLE (ca $5.3 million).  Even this year, if the cap saw no increase at all (which would be entirely unprecedented.  the cap has gone up over $6 million the last two years), they'd have about $6.8 million.  and again, there's no chance the cap doesn't increase this offseason (the cap # is set in July).

Also, the #3/#23 combination would be about $4 million.  Those numbers are set:
http://www.nbpa.org/cba_exhibits/exhibitB.php

Next year the #3 pick is slated to make $3.2 million.  The 23rd $941k.

The rule on Rookie Salaries from Larry Coon
A team may sign a player for as little as 80% or as much as 120% of the scale salary figure.  For example, the 1st year salary for the #1 overall pick drafted in 2005 can be as little as $2,893,680 or as much as $4,340,520.  In most cases, the contract that is actually signed is for the maximum 120% figure.  Teams are able to provide this amount using the Rookie exception, even if they are over the salary cap.  Annual raises are limited to 8%, and also can't exceed 120% of the scale amount for that season.

The #3 Pick at 120%, is $3,875,000
The #23 pick with 120% is $1,129,320

I was using a slightly lower cap figure, which very well may be wrong.  It is not unprecedented for the cap not move increase much at all, though.  It didn't increase at least once and very very little the next year, 2001 and 2002.  The mid-level which is the average salary in the league did not change for those 2 years.  Based upon last years cap and 49.3 they have $6.3, which is slightly more than the mid-level, which as I recall is about $5.6.  If the cap goes up $3 million then they will have about $9 to $9.5.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 02:19:10 PM »
Man, who saw this comming!?  Kobe has to be thrilled that the team finally came through.  It makes no sense to me, from Memphis' perspective, but it is what it is.

Adding Gasol to the Lakers does put them up there, but lets see how well they play together before you award them the title.  Right now, he just makes up for Bynum being out.

In the long run though things are definitely looking up for the Lakers.

Geeze. Philly would have given them Louis Williams to get Gasol.  They would have given Williams and Miller if they had to! 

This makes no sense- the Grizzlies could have gotten a lot more for Gasol, why didn't they take more time to see if they could get more out of it?

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »
Wow Randy! It sure was good to see you post! We know a certain poster here may very well accuse you of bandwagoning this trade but we all know where your loyalties have ALWAYS been, your rubbing his nose in it just makes your return sweeter.

I, like you, WOW, 'Koast, and MSC am simply stunned at this development, I am cautiously optimistic howeverbecasue you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men. Still, if this team plays to its talent potential, all bets are off becasue I see no one that can challenge their youth, speed, athleticism, energy, defense, and especially their offense, this is our dream, everyone elses nightmare.
Dan

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2008, 10:17:13 PM »
I, like you, WOW, 'Koast, and MSC am simply stunned at this development

. . . because none of the rest of us, you know, non-Laker fans, are surprised by this at all, Dan. 8)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2008, 10:59:06 PM »
I, like you, WOW, 'Koast, and MSC am simply stunned at this development

. . . because none of the rest of us, you know, non-Laker fans, are surprised by this at all, Dan. 8)

LOL!  I guess this was all part of Sterngate!  Trade Shaq for Caron who turns into Kwame who became Gasol!  Yes, that would take brains to believe!  ::)
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »
I wonder why my little buddy Reality ran out of this thread so fast.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
Sorry to exclude from the "we're all stunned by this" comment Skander, I should never assume that all non-Laker fans buy into the conspiratorial rantings of our resident loon
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
IMO Kwame is a "lucky ticket". 
The Wiz get an all-star in Butler for Kwame.
The Lakers get an all-star in Gasol for Kwame.
Look for the Grizz to get TD or LeBron for Kwame next year.

One other thing, there are rumors swirling about that the Lakers are not dealing yet.  IMO that would be a mistake, the Lakers have the perfect blend of youth and vets to make a serious run for the title this year and for the next 3 years, I think that's when Kobe can opt out.  The only age issue is Fisher and Farmar is looking primed to take over that spot in the next year or two.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »
WOW, I've heard the rumors too (that the Lakers are not done dealing yet) and I'm hopeful they are just rumors. 

The bottom line is that when you look at all of the other trades discussed these past several seasons, whether it be Artest, Jermaine O'Neil, KG, or any others I've missed; they all involved giving up some combination of Odom/Bynum/Walton or worse yet all three. 

We somehow just landed a proven all-star without giving up any of those guys, or any other key contributors.  At this point I think you have to stand pat and be very pleased. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 01:05:05 PM »
WOW, I've heard the rumors too (that the Lakers are not done dealing yet) and I'm hopeful they are just rumors. 

The bottom line is that when you look at all of the other trades discussed these past several seasons, whether it be Artest, Jermaine O'Neil, KG, or any others I've missed; they all involved giving up some combination of Odom/Bynum/Walton or worse yet all three. 

We somehow just landed a proven all-star without giving up any of those guys, or any other key contributors.  At this point I think you have to stand pat and be very pleased. 

The Lakers are going to trade Chris Mihm for Dwight Howard I heard  ;D

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
Sorry to exclude from the "we're all stunned by this" comment Skander, I should never assume that all non-Laker fans buy into the conspiratorial rantings of our resident loon

No problemo, I just thought it was funny you mentioned all Laker fans. 

Gasol is so sweet for you guys because he'd such an underrated passer who I think is going to really thrive in Winter's system.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if his assists climb into Brad Milleresque 4-5 assist territory.  With Odom and a healthy Bynum he won't rebound at a 10 rebound clip but he'll still get his near-20 points.  His free throw shooting is nothing to write home about but he'll make them when it counts.  If you guys keep Gasol(27)-Bryant(29)-Odom(27)-Bynum(20) core, I don't see why this team isn't championship material for at least the next half decade.   

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2008, 09:52:09 AM »
His free throw shooting is nothing to write home about but he'll make them when it counts.

Actually, his history indicates he's a choker, especially at the FT line.  That really doesn't matter on a team with Kobe, or so I hope.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"