Author Topic: Deja vu all over again. Lakers rolling hot then the injury bug hits! Bynum hurt.  (Read 10027 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Oh great, this thread just got stupid.

I really enjoy a good debate, hate it when somebody just shytes on it.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
I really glad it was just a mistake.  It's so silly the way Reality, westkoast and Lurker play the mis-quote game, only JoMal does it with any skill to get me going,
Que Real Men of Genius music.
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4121.0

What a load of crap.  The Maytag Spinner is now attempting to repairspin "Bynum sucks and always will" into "I hope he can be as good as Robert Parish, whom i hold in such high regard."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
I really glad it was just a mistake.  It's so silly the way Reality, westkoast and Lurker play the mis-quote game, only JoMal does it with any skill to get me going,
Que Real Men of Genius music.
http://forums.phillyarena.net/index.php?topic=4121.0

What a load of crap.  The Maytag Spinner is now attempting to repairspin "Bynum sucks and always will" into "I hope he can be as good as Robert Parish, whom i hold in such high regard."

Oh the irony!!! 

Y.A.W.N.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Here's a good quote to keep this thread alive...

It's interesting: Bogut's averaging 13 pts 9 rebounds and getting no pub, while Bynum's averaging 13 and 10 and getting ESPN Magazine feature stories.

From J.A. Adande in his ESPN chat.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Here's a good quote to keep this thread alive...

It's interesting: Bogut's averaging 13 pts 9 rebounds and getting no pub, while Bynum's averaging 13 and 10 and getting ESPN Magazine feature stories.

From J.A. Adande in his ESPN chat.

If you look in the LOL @ Kwame thread you will see how I feel about Bynum being a bit overhyped.  The sky is the limit for the kid but so many people want to jump on a bandwagon early they will just talk and talk so they can claim later on they were a huge fan of his first.   He will be a good player in this league contrary to what W.O.W thinks.   The truth of the matter is he is not there yet.  When getting 20 points and 10 rebounds is the normal then the media can hype away.    I really just want to say "give him a little bit of time before you blow his head up to the point where he suffers from what some of the other bigger names in this league do".   You know the ones the sports writers love to talk down on for being so cocky and full of themselves while at the same time forgetting it's their newspapers, magazines, and shows that pumped these guys up.   That is what I am most worried about as both a Laker and Bynum fan.

However in regards to the comment from J.A. Adande...um the Bucs are not exactly leading their division let alone their conference.  The Lakers, if only for 2 days lol, were the top of their conference and division.  They are only one game back from the top honors in the best conference in the league.  They are currently 14 games above .500.   It makes a little bit more sense for a key guy, which Bynum clearly is, to get more props for what he does then someone on a team like the Bucs.  While I do agree he's overhyped this is just another case of a media guy who wanted to go to the extreme other direction.  When will we get guys who can try to be in the middle, fair, and as unbias as possible?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:20:24 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email

However in regards to the comment from J.A. Adande...um the Bucs are not exactly leading their division let alone their conference.  The Lakers, if only for 2 days lol, were the top of their conference and division.  They are only one game back from the top honors in the best conference in the league.  They are currently 14 games above .500.   It makes a little bit more sense for a key guy, which Bynum clearly is, to get more props for what he does then someone on a team like the Bucs.  While I do agree he's overhyped this is just another case of a media guy who wanted to go to the extreme other direction.  When will we get guys who can try to be in the middle, fair, and as unbias as possible?

So Redd = Kobe and Yi = Odom?  And LA LA media = Cheesehead media?  Right...now I understand.  Big market 13/10 is greatness waiting to break out and small market 13/10 is a journeyman.  IMO media size has more to do with it than team success.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email

So Redd = Kobe and Yi = Odom?  And LA LA media = Cheesehead media?  Right...now I understand.  Big market 13/10 is greatness waiting to break out and small market 13/10 is a journeyman.  IMO media size has more to do with it than team success.

Obviously a team like the Lakers are going to get more coverage then the Bucs but honestly have you looked at the Bucs record?   You want to tell me with a straight face that a team that is 16 and 22, 4th in their division, and struggling to stay afloat should have a player posting 13 and 10 get as much love as a player who is averaging 13 and 10 on one of the suprise teams of the season thus far?  I think his 13 and 10 contribution would look a lot better if the Bucs were actually playing good basketball.  Bogut is a key part of that team and if they had say Detroits record I think you would hear a lot more about him.  They are however one of the worst teams in the East.  The Lakers are one of the best in the West.  It's the same reason Flabs got a lot of props in the media last year during the playoffs even though others had similar numbers to what he did.

Has Bogut had multiple games of 20+ and 10+ this year?  Not from what i've seen. You are not comparing apples and apples here as much as I think he is being overhyped. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 11:12:36 AM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile

How can you be such a moron?   ;)

J/K.  Anyway....Speaking of Yi, IMO he is one of the most talented big men I've seen in a long time.  From what I read about Darko, I expected Darko to have the king of moves and touch that Yi's seems to have.  The guy has a very polished touch in the post, he's got that very very controlled jump hook and release, most guys just toss it off their palm when taking that shot.  Yi actually has a "touch" on everything he shots, natural shooter I guess.  He reminds me of Keith Van Horn but with a solid post game, I just hope the guy develops enough to stick around the league because IMO he already has all the skills to be solid offensivly but his D and rebounding have to improve.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Has Bogut had multiple games of 20+ and 10+ this year?  Not from what i've seen. You are not comparing apples and apples here as much as I think he is being overhyped. 
  Bogut had 3 20/10s in just the past week.  However Byns was ahead of him like 5-3 before he went down, and that with with a tear as Byns minutes just recently went up, also with SuperByns on the season averaging about 26 minutes to Boguts 34.  Your fellow Krishnas and Krishna cousins are just not getting it westkoast.  Bogut may also become very good but Byns at age 20 is doing fantastic.  LakerNation should be thrilled with Byns development.

I called for a Fabs-Bynum trade since 2006 but Buss Jr. wasn't biting.  It does however remain, Fabs 1 title Byns 0. ;)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
To makes things oh so much more worse...

Trevor Ariza is out with a broken foot.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
You want to tell me with a straight face that a team that is 16 and 22, 4th in their division, and struggling to stay afloat should have a player posting 13 and 10 get as much love as a player who is averaging 13 and 10 on one of the suprise teams of the season thus far?  I think his 13 and 10 contribution would look a lot better if the Bucs were actually playing good basketball.  Bogut is a key part of that team and if they had say Detroits record I think you would hear a lot more about him.  They are however one of the worst teams in the East.  The Lakers are one of the best in the West.

Oh. Come. On.  Wk, you know very well it has everything to do with the market and not how good the team is.  Its Milwaukee we're talking about here, for chrissakes.  So insignificant, their biggest story of the last two decades has been how their top draft pick DID NOT want to play for them.  With a straight face, you're going to tell me Bynum's 13 and 10 gets talked about 57 times the amount Bogut's 13 and 10 because the Lakers have 10 more wins.  Thats a load of crock!  Bogut is essentially a nobody playing for a nobody franchise.  Bynum is the Lake Show's 20 year old, baby-faced, golden boy taking his first precious steps into stardom. 

Heck, 5 point, 3 rebound--Ariza going dow makes ESPN's front page.  Do you think 5 point, 3 rebound--Charlie Bell would get the same treatment.     
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
You want to tell me with a straight face that a team that is 16 and 22, 4th in their division, and struggling to stay afloat should have a player posting 13 and 10 get as much love as a player who is averaging 13 and 10 on one of the suprise teams of the season thus far?  I think his 13 and 10 contribution would look a lot better if the Bucs were actually playing good basketball.  Bogut is a key part of that team and if they had say Detroits record I think you would hear a lot more about him.  They are however one of the worst teams in the East.  The Lakers are one of the best in the West.

Oh. Come. On.  Wk, you know very well it has everything to do with the market and not how good the team is.  Its Milwaukee we're talking about here, for chrissakes.  So insignificant, their biggest story of the last two decades has been how their top draft pick DID NOT want to play for them.  With a straight face, you're going to tell me Bynum's 13 and 10 gets talked about 57 times the amount Bogut's 13 and 10 because the Lakers have 10 more wins.  Thats a load of crock!  Bogut is essentially a nobody playing for a nobody franchise.  Bynum is the Lake Show's 20 year old, baby-faced, golden boy taking his first precious steps into stardom. 

Heck, 5 point, 3 rebound--Ariza going dow makes ESPN's front page.  Do you think 5 point, 3 rebound--Charlie Bell would get the same treatment.     

Skandery for one they put quite a number of injuries up when they have nothing to talk about (as everyone was focused in on football).   The Lakers being the biggest surprise of the year and one of the top teams in the league doesn't account for anything?  LOL okay.  It has NOTHING to do with being a top of the standings.  The Bucs playing sub .500 ball has nothing to do with not getting any attention. 

ESPN talks about Rondo.....because he's on a top team. They also talk about Stephon Marbury who has done even less then Trevor Ariza.    The Celtics have been in a bigger market then a lot of teams and up until this year they never got any media recognition.  Now that they are playing well, they get it all.  Have you noticed Haslem is not getting the awesome coverage from the media he was 2-3 seasons ago?

While I won't deny being in a bigger market helps to even try to act like a sub .500 team should get as much coverage as a team 14 games above .500 is a joke to say the least.   Logically thinking if a KEY guy is posting 13 and 10 on a team that is sitting in the class of PHX, SA, Dallas, and Boston it makes more sense to talk about him then a key guy posting 13 and 10 on a team that is sitting in the class of Minnesota, Miami, and New Jersey.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:45:22 PM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
The true answer is probably somewhere in LA LA land...err, cyberspace.  Market size plays a major role in the amount of coverage that teams/players receive.  Success (winning) also plays a factor.  I would also argue that American vs non-American also plays a role as the US media gives more attention to US players than non-US players.  But of those factors I would rank team success as one of the lowest.  Otherwise the Spurs would be a team full of media darlings instead of the team they talk about only when they have to.

koast...check out your Marbury reference.  I believe this falls under media size...NY needs something to talk about since the product on the floor is crap.  It actually hurts the argument for Bynum and supports the theory that playing in LA LA land makes his 13/10 remarkable.  So remarkable that a 20/12 guy in Minnesota gets almost no press. 
-Moody Blues

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey wk, real quick.  Who gets more coverage:

Jose Calderon or Jason Kidd?

Chris Paul or Dwayne Wade

Josh Smith or Luol Deng?

Antawn Jamison or Lamar Odom?

Gerald Wallace or Zach Randolph?

Marcus Camby or Yao Ming?

Al Jefferson or Shaquille O'Neal?

ESPN talks about Rondo.....because he's on a top team. They also talk about Stephon Marbury who has done even less then Trevor Ariza.    The Celtics have been in a bigger market then a lot of teams and up until this year they never got any media recognition.  Now that they are playing well, they get it all.  Have you noticed Haslem is not getting the awesome coverage from the media he was 2-3 seasons ago?

ESPN talks about Rondo because he's in a big market.  They talked about him last year.  I remember when they were giving Marcus Banks the treatment after a good Summer League.  Stephon Marbury is in New York and he is scandalous.  Boston has never really lacked for attention.  Haslem got coverage because he is in Miami, a big market.

While I won't deny being in a bigger market helps to even try to act like a sub .500 team should get as much coverage as a team 14 games above .500 is a joke to say the least.   Logically thinking if a KEY guy is posting 13 and 10 on a team that is sitting in the class of PHX, SA, Dallas, and Boston it makes more sense to talk about him then a key guy posting 13 and 10 on a team that is sitting in the class of Minnesota, Miami, and New Jersey.

Maybe.  But the spectacular difference in coverage is largely due to one thing--size of market.  Yeah it helps to be on a winning team, but lets not kid ourselves.  The larger markets and the glamour franchises will get more attention than the relative backwaters of the NBA.  It takes consistent and sustained winning and a long tradition for the smaller market teams to get covered--examples being Popovich's Spurs and Sloan's Jazz.  And even then, do people know more about the goings on of Paul Millsap and Matt Bonner, or more about Kwame Brown?

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Hey wk, real quick.  Who gets more coverage:

Jose Calderon or Jason Kidd?

Jason Kidd because he is an all-star player and one of the best point guards of all time

Chris Paul or Dwayne Wade

Uhh right now?  Chris Paul.  I see him all over TV.  In fact he was in a commercial for the NBA yesterday aired during the football game yesterday.  Dwayne Wade only gets talked about when someone wants to bring up an injury.  He's in a big market and his team sucks....yet he's not getting the same coverage you think he is owed.

Josh Smith or Luol Deng?

Deng was more talked about in the off-season then Josh Smith was.  Deng was also on a much better team last year and ATL is a bigger market then Chicago is.  Not quite sure why you wanted to use this one.  ATL > Chicago.

Antawn Jamison or Lamar Odom?

Lamar actually doesn't get that much coverage.  When he was on the Clippers he got less coverage then Jamison did on the warriors.  I didn't realize the bay area was a bigger market then LA.

Gerald Wallace or Zach Randolph?

Zach Randolph had a little bit of a buzz when he went off for 20 and 10 for a string of games but neither are talked about really.

Marcus Camby or Yao Ming?

No reason to bring this one up as you know perfectly well the NBA is pushing Yao for the international aspect.  It also doesn't help when Marcus Camby gets injured often.  Can't really talk too long about a guy getting injured can you?

Al Jefferson or Shaquille O'Neal?

This one's borderline retarded so I'll ignore this one.

ESPN talks about Rondo.....because he's on a top team. They also talk about Stephon Marbury who has done even less then Trevor Ariza.    The Celtics have been in a bigger market then a lot of teams and up until this year they never got any media recognition.  Now that they are playing well, they get it all.  Have you noticed Haslem is not getting the awesome coverage from the media he was 2-3 seasons ago?

Maybe.  But the spectacular difference in coverage is largely due to one thing--size of market.  Yeah it helps to be on a winning team, but lets not kid ourselves.  The larger markets and the glamour franchises will get more attention than the relative backwaters of the NBA.  It takes consistent and sustained winning and a long tradition for the smaller market teams to get covered--examples being Popovich's Spurs and Sloan's Jazz.  And even then, do people know more about the goings on of Paul Millsap and Matt Bonner, or more about Kwame Brown?

It's not a maybe.  When the Lakers were doing horrible last year in the 2nd half of the season you make it sound as if Luke Walton was getting mad press.  Or Kwame Brown was getting a bunch of press.  The only time the media brought up the Lakers the second half of the season was to say how horrible they were.  Where was the special coverage for Lamar Odom when he was actually playing a bit better after he came back from the injury?  No where.  Why?  Because they sucked.

Paul Millsap and Matt Bonner are not starting players.  Do you think more people will know Paul Millsap in a few years as Kwame fades into loser land?  Yes.

Tony Parker gets hyped up like crazy, over a lot of players better then he is, because his team is good.  Why having a good squad doesn't seem to factor in with you I am not quite sure.  You want to bring up the Jazz, who up until last year we're a very average team, got a BUNCH of press last year.  A bunch.  Deron Williams was getting full write ups in USA Today about working with John Stockton.  Boozer was getting a bunch of coverage.  Why?  Because they started the season off so well.

How about the 2000-2001 Kings?  Who had turned it around fairly recently as a franchise before that getting a lot of coverage?  Why?  They were playing great basketball.  Not a big market by any means.  Was once a great basketball city but not a big market.

And 13 and 10 are his stats but let's not forget he was leading the league in FG%, was top 15 in rebounding,  8th in blocks.  He literally has Bogut beat in every category except for assists.  Then when you look at the Lakers record compared to the Bucs record...How is it so hard to understand why he is getting more coverage then Bogut?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 07:23:28 PM by westkoast »