Author Topic: Scoop Jackson is a moron (version 2008.1)  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Scoop Jackson is a moron (version 2008.1)
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
So in ESPN's predictions for 2008 column, Scoop Jackson hints at the opinion that Steve Nash is the second greatest point guard of all time.

Any thoughts?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Scoop Jackson is a moron (version 2008.1)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »
So in ESPN's predictions for 2008 column, Scoop Jackson hints at the opinion that Steve Nash is the second greatest point guard of all time.

Any thoughts?

Magic, Stockton, Kidd & Payton were all better than Nash, LeBron will probably be better before the end of his career.  And those are just the guys I remember playing, Tiny and Cousey are probably candidates as well for some old timers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:52:39 AM »
Would you classify LeBron as a point guard?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:10:58 PM »
Would you classify LeBron as a point guard?

Yes, he has all the skills and plays that role for the Cavs.  IMO he's more of a traditional SG/SF but his court vision appears to be as good as anyone's in the league.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »
LeBron hasn't been a point guard since his rookie year, and even if he does have the skills necessary to play the position, he ISN'T playing the position.  Scottie Pippen as a Bull had the SKILLS to play point guard...that didn't make him one.

Good to see that I don't agree with WayOut on everything...which means all is still well with the world.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 12:21:51 PM »
LeBron hasn't been a point guard since his rookie year, and even if he does have the skills necessary to play the position, he ISN'T playing the position.  Scottie Pippen as a Bull had the SKILLS to play point guard...that didn't make him one.

Good to see that I don't agree with WayOut on everything...which means all is still well with the world.

Have not seen very many Cavs games but the one's I"ve watched it seems like Bron fills the PG role.  There is a guy on the court with him who is designated a PG but just fills a spot on the floor, kinda like Harper/Paxson filled the PG role for the Bulls.  IMO Scotties PG skills are not on par with Bron.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:42:17 PM »

Point foward, point guard.  Same role.  Might as well be able to compare them.  Pippen played inside the triangle so it is a bit different.  Lebron has to do more "creating".

Seriously...until Nash gets to the finals there is no way he is better then Jason Kidd or John Stockton all time.   I won't even bring up Magic Johnson or Oscar Robinson until that happens.  I honestly believe Jason Kidd is a better point guard because he is a better defender and rebounder.  Nash only has him slightly beat on the passing department.

I wish Michael Ventre and Scoop Jackson would both off each other in a gun fight at the same time.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »
LeBron James doesn't really play PG for the Cavs and don't think he should be considered.  Booby Gibson and Eric Snow still do a lot of bringing the ball up and setting up the offense, just that "setting up the offense" for Cleveland means give the ball to LeBron 97% of the time. 

I still consider John Stockton, Magic Johnson, Oscar Robertson, Walt "Clyde" Frazier, Isiah Thomas, Jason Kidd, and Gary Payton very WELL ahead of Nash as all-time great PGs, 2 MVPs or not.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 05:42:03 PM »
I will go with Skander on the names he dropped as being better than Nash, except perhaps Thomas, and that is just personal dislike of Thomas. Magic's defense was as suspect as Nash's, but no way Nash, as good a passer as he is, comes close to Magic in that category or in floor vision, the only ones in that rarified air are Stockton and maybe Kidd. Payton in his day was twice as quick and more deadly from outside.

And let us be perfectly clear here, Nash DID NOT, I repeat, DID NOT deserve the second MVP. You could argue the first, but not the second, Nowitski, Duncan, Bryant ALL should have been ahead of him, with my nod going to Bryant (I know, hard to believe I would pick that showboat).

But never tell me Nash is top 2 or even top 5 PG all time, that is ludicrous!
Dan