Author Topic: Now, the tought part of the Sixer's road trip.  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Now, the tought part of the Sixer's road trip.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »
Yeah.  a sign and trade typically doesn't happen unless that team he is being traded to has the money to offer him up front, then a team realizes they're going to lose the player and gets a return on it.

Rick: we'll just have to disagree.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »
The best play of the night didn't even make the top 10 at the NBA.com site.

The Block/Dunk by Louis Williams was a great play.  Amazing to see a 6'11" guy get stuffed by a 6'2" guard, who then runs to the other end and catches the ball for a dunk.

They did have a video of Derron's 20 assists.  You know that really sounds like a lot, but when you watch the video, you realize all he did was pass the ball to open players who sank their outside shots.  A good shooting team makes a point guard look a lot better than he may really be, and a reason why Nash's stats are always up there.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 12:39:26 PM »
The best play of the night didn't even make the top 10 at the NBA.com site.

The Block/Dunk by Louis Williams was a great play.  Amazing to see a 6'11" guy get stuffed by a 6'2" guard, who then runs to the other end and catches the ball for a dunk.

They did have a video of Derron's 20 assists.  You know that really sounds like a lot, but when you watch the video, you realize all he did was pass the ball to open players who sank their outside shots.  A good shooting team makes a point guard look a lot better than he may really be, and a reason why Nash's stats are always up there.

Getting the ball to the right spots still deserves some credit but ya, he could have moved the ball just the same and those players missed the shots then someone could mistake his ability to move the ball by just seeing he got say 5 assists instead of 20.

Tonight should be a fun game.  I enjoy watching Igs on Kobe.  Kobe always speaks praises about how fun it is to play against him because he is talented.

Like WOW said, the loss of Odom will hurt way more then rust.  He is a nightly mismatch and money on the defensive glass.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 01:28:33 PM »
No question Odom hurt the Sixers tremendously when he played us last.

I love seeing Kobe and Iggy going at it.  They respect each other and want to outclass each other.  Kobe does some amazing thing and Iggy goes, oh yeah! I can do that too, try THIS!  Iggy gets up for these meetings and he really works on his defense when he's playing the Kobster.

LA is the better team, but by how much I don't know.  I like Farmer and Walton seems to be a pretty smart player.  Bynum had a great game the last time they played, and I'd like to see Dalembert do a better job.

The Sixers have improved since these two teams last met.  The young players have come along for the most part, and Iggy and Miller are playing all-star callibur ball. Louis Williams gets better with each game now that his foot isn't bothering him.

If the Sixers play as well as they did against Utah, I think they should be able to come out with the win tonight. Sam seemed like a real center 20 pts, 10 reb. 3 blks.

One thing about the Sixers- they really are entertaining at times.  Williams and Igoudala are very special players that way.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
Consistent, accurate outside shooting is not a commodity in the NBA, it is a luxury. Giricek is extremely streaky, but his best nights look pretty much like a regular Korver night. I would make that trade every night of the week.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
There's no doubt the trade makes sense from the Jazz perspective.  Giricek wasn't going to play anymore, and the first isn't going to be all that valuable.  It still makes sense from the Sixers perspective, though.  It was a necessary move to give them a chance to add an impact player within the next few years (the Sixers don't HAVE to use the cap space next year, as they'll still have it the following FA period).

If the Sixers had a shot at contending in the next year or two, I'd be upset about giving up a player of Korver's skillset.  But they're not, so it's a move that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:48:41 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 04:58:18 PM »
I don't disagree with you. The cap space will be valuable, and the Sixers had good reasons to make that trade. If I were in your spot, I'd be "okay" with the trade but bummed that we had to give up a guy who might MIGHT be one of the top 10 distance shooters in the league.

As for the youth development approach, I'm all for developing talented youth. But personally, I would rather have a pure shooter (with his limitations) than a hope that Thaddeus Young or Shavlik Randolph will turn into something. But then again, maybe they sign someone better than all of them with the open cap space.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:01:11 PM by Ted »

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Conclusion. 
Value of trade from Sixer perspective will not be determined until future.
Jazz scored now.

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »
Conclusion. 
Value of trade from Sixer perspective will not be determined until future.
Jazz scored now.

Okay guys. I guess this thread is over.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
Ted,
Show me where I e-v-e-r said.  (Okay was just Randy-WoW reminiscing.)

For me the trade value check has temporarily concluded.  If others wish to discuss more and various or for that matter unrelated aspects of it, please do carry on.
Such as, will the trade get the Jazz out of their on again off again .500 doldrums pace?
Is Korvers FT shooting the difference between a playoff series win vs loss?
Have you ever shot hoops with Korver?  I have not, but i have talked to one who has.
Does Korver bear any resemblance to Adam Kucher, and do you think the marriage to whats her name was and is wise?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Maybe, Hmmmmmm---nah, No, cool, not reaaaally, and probably not.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Ted

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »
Have you ever shot hoops with Korver?  I have not, but i have talked to one who has.

Serious!? What did he say? Was he just automatic?!?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »
He was indeed automatic.  It was a charity game with other NBA players, lesser ones but NBA nonetheless.
Yes, they said his jumper was indeed auto.

Also said he was an extremely nice person, verifyed by other players gathered, not just the usual P.R. type answer.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
I think the trade will work out well for both teams.

First off, it is easier to insert a Korver into Utah's offense, then it is to mesh Giricek with the rest of the Sixers in the middle of a road trip.

And of course, the Sixers still have that all important cap space and a late first round bargaining chip.

I may be wrong, or overly optimistic, but I think the Sixers are better then their current record.  Not that they're a contender, but they aren't quite as far away as it may appear.  They have a shot at making the playoffs with the team they have. Based on the team stats they are at 18, only 2 spots out.  And, they have been improving and developing a personality and identity as a team.

Korver is a very very good outside shooter, and free throw shooter as well- (Isn't it always that way?)  He also has a quick release and is effective in a catch and shoot. But defensively, he is a liability, and he isn't a rebounder and isn't effective at blocking out his man.

He will help Utah more than the Sixers. In Phila. he wasn't consistent enough as a shooter, sometimes he was hot, more often, it seemed - not.  With the Jazz he won't be the second or first option, but the third and with less pressure and more open looks, he should help the Jazz more.

Phila. has an abundance of people who can play at that spot, and may find that another player will help them in ways that they need more than they needed Korver.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 12:19:51 AM »
But defensively, he is a liability, and he isn't a rebounder and isn't effective at blocking out his man.

Sounds like you are talking about Dalembert.  Seems like the guy is just dumb, lazy or both.  It just doesn't look like the guy has learned anything since his rookie year.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"