Author Topic: Korver traded to Jazz  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Korver traded to Jazz
« on: December 29, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »
http://www.insidehoops.com/giricek-korver-trade-122907.shtml

for giricek and a first.

This stinks.  Korver's got a very sensible deal, so getting rid of his contract wasn't a priority.  The first round pick will be in the 20's.  We still don't have room for a max contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/transactions

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Korver traded to Jazz
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
Wow! That happened pretty fast!

Korver was not my favorite player, by any means, but I'm not crazy with this trade.  Giricek is a downgrade from Korver and the draft pick will be too low to help us.

It seemed it was more of a trade to do something than anything positive. I would have hoped the team could have gotten more for Kyle, who can at least stretch the floor.

Still it does help clear the log jam at guard and small forward.  Giricek might not get any PT time here.  He can sit and Ollie can play.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
Korver's going to fit in very well with williams, boozer and kirilenko.  great sixth man for them.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 01:12:05 PM »
I agree, I just think the Sixers decided they had enough depth and athleticism that Korver's limitations were starting to hurt his PT here.  He's an smallish, unnathletic forward with a good long-range shot.  Too one-dimensional for a team like the Sixers, with it's lack of depth at the big spots.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
I agree, I just think the Sixers decided they had enough depth and athleticism that Korver's limitations were starting to hurt his PT here

No.  The team decided they needed 4.5 million more in cap space next year.  It had nothing to do with depth.  Depth smepth.  Right now we only have 1 wing starter.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 01:35:17 PM »
Korver's going to fit in very well with williams, boozer and kirilenko.  great sixth man for them.

Great trade for Korver too.  He is going to a team with more upside and has recently been deep in the playoffs.  Hopefully with all the space he is getting with a low post threat now he will be able to be a much more effective shooter.

Not sure how the Jazz fans feel but this seems like a good move on their end.  I don't quite understand Philly's side since Korver was not even making that much money.  That is actually a relatively small contract in this league now all things considering.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:47:59 PM »
Giricek is just as one dimensional as Korver.  A solid shooter and maybe, Jazz fan's input please, a better passer.  Defense is about equal...non existant.  FWIW the Spurs drafted Giricek the same year as Manu.  So their scouting dept must have seen something.  His rights were traded before he ever came to the US.

Korver will get lots of time at the SG in Utah and some SF.  He can spot up on offense (think Hornacek w/o the handles) and needs to just hustle enough on defense to let Sloan leave him on the floor.

Giricek could start for the Sixers and let Iggy play the his more natural position: SF.  Giricek can be a more consistent scorer than Korver was IMO.  But this also will allow playing time for the young guys you Philly fans were raving about in the other thread.   ;)
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »
Players I'd rather see playing than Kyle Korver at the 3:  Andre Igoudala, Thad Young, Rodney Carney.  Players at the 4 spot I prefer over Kover:  anyone else, Kyle can't play the 4 spot!
If you Play him at the 2 spot, he'd just be too slow to be of any use as a defender, and he doesn't have the ball skills to bring the ball up the floor or even provide a post up game.

Korver averaged 26 min. a game, minutes that can now go to someone else. And he was shooting under .400 from the floor not including threes.  What Kyle does on the offensive end, he gives up on the defensive end, and with turnovers. Really this guy is way overated when you look at his stats.  Seriously, what was Kyle's plus/minus?

The trade makes more room for some of the other young players with more upside to get some PT like Young and Amundson.  I would really like to see Shavlik and Hill play and this will give Cheeks the opportunity to do that with Dalembert or Evans on the floor.  We are clearly more a guard and small forward team scoring wise- anything that shifts the balance inside would be good for the Sixers.

It seems pretty clear that Louis Williams is going to be the sixth man and the bench will still have enough scoring punch without Korver.

It definitely forces Mo to do other things, as he over-relied on putting Korver in as his solution for everything. 
Now, he will have to find out who will give him the 10 pts. he got from Korver.  If he starts playing Ollie instead, I'm going to flip!  I don't know anything about Giricek but it would seem likely that Cheeks will give him a look.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 01:52:18 PM by rickortreat »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 02:05:12 PM »
Players I'd rather see playing than Kyle Korver at the 3:  Andre Igoudala, Thad Young, Rodney Carney

Rodney Carney's horrible.

What you're left with is Iguodala, Thad and Korver at the SG and SF spots.  That should have been the rotation going forward.  That's enough time for Korver to get the 25 mpg he deserves.

BTW, there's a rumor that it's the knicks pick that Utah has, which is protected the next 2 years, and becomes completely unprotected in 2010.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 02:38:59 PM »
Carney's an inexperienced 2nd year player.  He is more athletic than Korver and no more error prone.  I'm not saying he's better than Korver, because he certainly hasn't shown that, but he is quicker and a better rebounder.

At this point I'd much rather see what Young does with those minutes.  Cheeks has already stated that he, Green, Carney and Williams would be getting the minutes.  That to me is a big improvement over Korver.  The only thing Korver does better than any of these guys is shoot free throws. Any stiff worthy of an NBA contract should be able to give you 10 pts. in 26 min.

That Pick has conditions that vary from year to year. Chances are if it turns out to be a high pick we won't get it.  A little more for the cap for next year, and forceing Cheeks to develop the younger players.  I'm pretty happy with this move.  Seriously, Korver is at best a role player on a good team, not good enough to be a sixth man.  No one would ever take Korver over Ginobli.  He's like what Steve Kerr was for the Bulls, only the Sixers aren't the Bulls and don't have a reason for a player like Kyle. 

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 02:44:34 PM »
Carney's an inexperienced 2nd year player.  He is more athletic than Korver and no more error prone

You're crazy.  Carney was an error waiting to happen.  whenever he got the ball, it resulted in a poor shot.  He never passed.

That Pick has conditions that vary from year to year. Chances are if it turns out to be a high pick we won't get it

If it's the NY pick, the protection comes off in 2010.  It's top 23 protected in 2008, top 22 protected in 2009, and unprotected in 2010.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 03:30:08 PM »
Great deal for the Jazz.  As Bods said, his contract is reasonable and he gives Utah another outside shooter, something they DESPERATELY need.  Now the only three-point threats aren't just Williams and Okur.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 05:14:57 PM »
What became of Shavlik Randolphs game.  db rt remember last year when he put together a little stretch where he was assertive, showed some potential.  Just another Duke softie now?  Nailed to the bench or injury-out?

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 05:35:25 PM »
Injured.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 09:09:03 AM »
I like Kyle Korver on the Jazz and am not entirely sure what the Sixers were thinking letting us have him for essentially a song and dance.  The pick shouldn't be that high and is protected and Giricek won't do anything better that Korver couldn't. 

The one problem is where and when to play Korver.  Everyone is saying that's easy: in the big (regular) lineup start him at the 2, in the small lineup he's a 3.  The problem is Korver isn't a 2-guard, his ball-handling is bad and his passing mediocre, to say nothing of how badly he matches up on other 2s defensively.  So you have Okur, Boozer, and AK on the frontline, Deron is you're one.  You'd have to sit Brewer to play Korver with that lineup and I kind of like what Brewer brings to that lineup.  My idea is you bring Okur off the bench and he can be the primary scorer for the second unit where I think he would do better--as he did 2 years ago when Boozer missed the year.  The lineup now is Boozer in the middle, AK at 4, Korver at 3, Brewer at 2, and Deron at 1.  There might be some rebounding problems but that lineup has good balance.  Okur and Millsap are first off the bench which works since Millsap will have to rebound all Okur's misses.

In summary, I like Korver quite a bit.  A legitimate deep threat on the Jazz for a reasonable contract.         
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."