Author Topic: Shoud the Heat trade Shaq, rebuild?  (Read 6688 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shoud the Heat trade Shaq, rebuild?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
I Am Legend movie said he will retire in 2010. ;)
The Heat are going to be pretty the next two.

Actually you never know, they'll get a very high draft pic.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 03:19:39 PM »
Think before you post please.

I Am Legend movie said he will retire in 2010. ;)

Actually you never know, they'll get a very high draft pic.

You just don't listen.  The ONE time wk has been right this WHOLE year and you ignore him!  ::)

I THINK JoMal might have made a point around here somewhere......
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:14 PM »
I'd just like to take this opportunity to reiterate how happy I am that Dr. Buss had the stones to trade Shaq when he did.  Can you imagine if we were stuck with that blob earning 20mil/yr. through the next three seasons?!?  I said it then and it's crystal clear in hindsight ... that was the right business decision. 

And it worked out great for Miami too.  They got their 1 title mostly thanks to DWade and an incredible choke job by the Mavs.  Shaq of course helped them a little and maybe it was worth it to them to win 1 Championship, but they will be paying for it for the next 10 years.  All I can say is better them than us. 

Shaq hasn't been an uber-elite player since 2004. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
"All we count is Championships." -Laker Posters et all re Shaq trade when he had TWO years only left on contract.
1-0 vs the .500 phenom
Now you do the John Kerry dance. *msc gets, well got a pass when saying previously he would live or die with the Shaq trade irregardless of what became of Shaq post Laker.
And y'all can't even guarantee Sir Flabbo won't get another one.
But can Shaq for Bynum end up working out and will Kobe be able to ride SuperByns coatails?  Stay tuned!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 12:45:46 PM »
Hey Reality, I don't want or need any sort of "pass". 

The Lakers have plenty of Championships and as a fan I didn't want to see them mortgage the teams future for 5 -10 more years to maybe, but not likely, grab one more.  At the time I would have rather seen them make a move and try to rebuild around a still relatively young Kobe and try to get back to that elite level with a new squad.  That's what they're doing and maybe they'll get there maybe they won't, but regardless that's what good sports franchises do.  They take chances and make the tough decisions that need to be made for the future.   

At a certain point this current dynasty that is the Spurs will have to start looking to the future.  IMO, this squad is still the best in the league, but they are getting long in the tooth and they will have to look for ways to get younger and develop new guys while remaining competitive.  It's a formidable task and there will no doubt be some seasons of rebuilding and some difficult decisions to be made.  I believe they have the front office and coaching staff to do it, but even with that a lot of things still have to go your way.  This is why franchises like the Patriots are so great.  While I don't like them, I have to respect what their front office has done.  Every season they lose key players and coaches to free agency and yet, they continue to improve.  It's really impressive, IMO. 

My point was that even though they're doomed now to be terrible for many years to come, maybe it was a good move for Miami.  Here was a team who had never won a Championship and was struggling putting fans in the seats.  Now they have a title and for a while had some fans, although they seem to be gone now.  It may very well have been a win/win trade for both teams, but while I think it's subject to debate on Miami's side, I think hindsight has proven it was the right move for the Lakers. 

I'm a huge fan of the Simpsons, BTW.  While you're wanking on photoshop could you whip up a Nelson with a Heat jersey say "HA ha" and pointing at a fat Shaq.  Or maybe a Ralph Wiggum in a Laker jersey saying, "my cats breath smells like catfood". 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »
Well the following sub .500 year with Kobe as da man did earn the Lakers the #10 Bynum pic so maybe it will work out.

In this era of free agency to say the Lakers would have been screwed for 5-10 years is anything but crystal clear.  The Blazers showed no signs of coming up and now bam they are at least in the hunt.  The Celts 20 year downspin showed no signs of a comeback and then Kevin McHale did the right thing and traded KG to the Celts.  Drafts are always pretty unpredictable but you know some great players are coming along.  Miami is by no means bound to certain doom for 5-10 years.

So while indeed it may turn out well with Byns and supporting cast, it may also have turned out well with either another year (2005) of Shaq with Elton Brand, acquired in the Kobe trade and then the aftermath of Shaq-Elton. 

Spurs indeed will have formidable task keeping it going.  I still go short term and would take Kobe for Tony Parker and Eva and win now in the Duncan era.

Pats while i agree with you their run has been great, surely you must view the Randy Moss acquisition as an absolute gift and a travesty for Oakland to pull such crap thus greatly helping keep the run alive.  Al Davis the Donald Sterling Clipper?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
Will Shaq help the Heat with a discounted buyout?
Or no way?

And where do buyouts figure in the CBA arrangement?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 06:38:20 PM »
Pats while i agree with you their run has been great, surely you must view the Randy Moss acquisition as an absolute gift and a travesty for Oakland to pull such crap thus greatly helping keep the run alive.  Al Davis the Donald Sterling Clipper?

That travestly doesn't even come close to what Kevin McHale did, he should be investigated, he already got busted once.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are payoffs from the Celtics into Kevin's realatives accounts.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 07:01:09 PM »
No one needs a pass here, all TRUE fans stick to their guns and their teams, and I NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER!!! said the Lakers should keep Shaq. I wanted his fat ungrateful butt GONE, the sooner the better. Bully for the Heat, they won 1 ring, ONE RING!!!! And mortgaged their future in the process, I will be shocked if they are in serious contention, or even make the playoffs with that shell of a center, again. Shaq had very little to do with the Heats title anyway, except to give some fool ammo to take potshots at Kobe Bryant, really, it gets quite tiresome!
Dan

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »
Well the following sub .500 year with Kobe as da man did earn the Lakers the #10 Bynum pic so maybe it will work out.

In this era of free agency to say the Lakers would have been screwed for 5-10 years is anything but crystal clear.  The Blazers showed no signs of coming up and now bam they are at least in the hunt.  The Celts 20 year downspin showed no signs of a comeback and then Kevin McHale did the right thing and traded KG to the Celts.  Drafts are always pretty unpredictable but you know some great players are coming along.  Miami is by no means bound to certain doom for 5-10 years.

So while indeed it may turn out well with Byns and supporting cast, it may also have turned out well with either another year (2005) of Shaq with Elton Brand, acquired in the Kobe trade and then the aftermath of Shaq-Elton. 

Spurs indeed will have formidable task keeping it going.  I still go short term and would take Kobe for Tony Parker and Eva and win now in the Duncan era.

Reality, I don't even know where to start with you ...  so how about this:

While you're playing virtual GM you can trade the young Kobe with at least 10 years left in his tank who works his A** off every off-seaon to get better for a star to put alongside a fat, lazy, unmotivated, disgruntled, declining Shaq who by the way is demanding an early 5 year, 60 mil extension. 

Good luck with that. 

While I'm playing virtual GM, I'm going to trade Shaq and start rebuilding around Kobe.  I didn't want to maybe win 1 more title with Shaq, I'd rather take my chances with Kobe. 

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 08:24:08 PM »

That travestly doesn't even come close to what Kevin McHale did, he should be investigated, he already got busted once.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are payoffs from the Celtics into Kevin's realatives accounts.

Agreed 100%.  He should either be investigated or win GM of the year  :D

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 08:35:58 PM »
No one needs a pass here, all TRUE fans stick to their guns and their teams, and I NEVER, AND I MEAN NEVER!!! said the Lakers should keep Shaq. I wanted his fat ungrateful butt GONE, the sooner the better. Bully for the Heat, they won 1 ring, ONE RING!!!! And mortgaged their future in the process, I will be shocked if they are in serious contention, or even make the playoffs with that shell of a center, again. Shaq had very little to do with the Heats title anyway, except to give some fool ammo to take potshots at Kobe Bryant, really, it gets quite tiresome!

+1 on this.  Once again, LakerFan speaks with clarity.   

I remember you and I were taking a ration of heat (no pun intended) for agreeing with the Shaq trade.  It was clear to me then, and obviously hindsight proves we were right.  I'm not looking for everyone to come in to this thread hat in hand and say, "you were right, we were wrong" ... ahh who am I kidding?  Of course I am!  ;) 

In all seriousness, I'd be a liar if I didn't say I feel vindicated by seeing what Miami is going through.  They are screwed for years to come with Shaq's contract.  I can't say it enough, better them than us!  And does anyone on the planet besides Reality not agree that the reasons the Heat won the title in order of significance are 1) Dallas choke job; 2) DWade; 3) Shaq  ?

We'll see how long Shaq plays nice with D Wade as this continues and Wade calls out Shaq.  He already has a little this year, but it will only get worse as the losses and years pile up.  That love affair is almost over and I'm popping the popcorn ready to watch it unfold. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 09:00:46 PM »
This from the guys who one and all in 2005 said Shaq and Miamis EC Finals 7 games vs Detroit meant nothing because they did not win the title.  And "titles were all that counted".  Now you all rejoice at Shraqs downfall and claim even if he had claimed another title in LaLa you wouldn't have wanted it. :D 
Please.
Planet Purple n Golden vision.

Anywho will Shaq accept a Miami buyout offer and if so how much below 100%?  (if any)
Won't that fry you Goldens if Miami gets a great draft pic and unloads Shaqs salary.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 09:09:58 PM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 07:21:48 AM »

In all seriousness, I'd be a liar if I didn't say I feel vindicated by seeing what Miami is going through.  They are screwed for years to come with Shaq's contract.  I can't say it enough, better them than us!  And does anyone on the planet besides Reality not agree that the reasons the Heat won the title in order of significance are 1) Dallas choke job; 2) DWade; 3) Shaq  ?

Actually I think it was 1) Dallas choke job; 2) officiating gifts; 3) Shaq.

The announcers touched on a scenario last night that IMO could bring Miami another title.  It does depend on a few "miracles" to work.  First the Heat would need one of the top 2-3 picks in this draft.  Second is that Wade must get back to 100%...last night there were several instances of Wade grimacing after driving into the lane.  Third Riley has to get Shaq to buy into the belief that ***key point*** the best way Shaq can help the team is to be a 20-25 minute a game center that focuses on defense and rebounding.  The third point can actually be the hardest...or the easiest.  A healthy Shaq could put up 16/9 in limited minutes.  Blount & Haslem along with Shaq could be a servicable center/forward rotation.  Another scorer from the draft to compliment Wade could make the Heat a serious challenger in the East.  And if they were to return to the finals...well, as a couple years ago showed, anything can happen.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »

Actually I think it was 1) Dallas choke job; 2) officiating gifts; 3) Shaq.

The announcers touched on a scenario last night that IMO could bring Miami another title.  It does depend on a few "miracles" to work.  First the Heat would need one of the top 2-3 picks in this draft.  Second is that Wade must get back to 100%...last night there were several instances of Wade grimacing after driving into the lane.  Third Riley has to get Shaq to buy into the belief that ***key point*** the best way Shaq can help the team is to be a 20-25 minute a game center that focuses on defense and rebounding.  The third point can actually be the hardest...or the easiest.  A healthy Shaq could put up 16/9 in limited minutes.  Blount & Haslem along with Shaq could be a servicable center/forward rotation.  Another scorer from the draft to compliment Wade could make the Heat a serious challenger in the East.  And if they were to return to the finals...well, as a couple years ago showed, anything can happen.

Honestly how many teams could get 3 miracles and win a title?  I'd say most of them.  The chances of getting a player out of the draft that can score 20 points a night would be a miracle.  I think Durant is pretty impressive on the offensive end for just getting into the league and I don't think if he was on Miami they would be doing all that much better.

I could only imagine if Reality was a real GM.  He'd get ignored more then telemarketers by other GMs.  Phone rings, "man its Reality McDummy again I wonder if hes going to try to trade a severly injured Shaun Livingston for AI again...im not going to pick it up"
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 12:35:22 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com