Author Topic: Are the Lakers a real contender this year?  (Read 1945 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Are the Lakers a real contender this year?
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:16:48 PM »
No question that the Lakers have started playing more like a team lately.  I was impressed with the way they took out the Sixers but a lot of teams could do that. But beating the Suns yesterday was a different matter.  The Suns had no way to stop the Laker offense, and the Lakers did as good a defensive job as you can do against the Suns playing at that pace.

I consider the Suns good enough to be a serious contender for the West and the NBA Championship, but based on what I saw the Lakers do last night, it seems reasonable to consider them as well. They are now in 4th place and only 2 games out of first.

Now, you have to wonder if Kobe really wants to leave?  If he's winning in LA, that would be the best opportunity for him.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are the Lakers a real contender this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »
Bynum has arrived.  All indications are he will simply to continue to get better, but nonetheless he has upped his game substancially from last year.

At this point Kobe is hoping the Lakers decide he is playing team ball often enough to keep him.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 01:20:22 PM »
Do I think they can be a contender?  Sure.  They have a solid big man, they have the best perimeter scorer in the game, most of them know the triangle better now (4th in scoring in the league)  their bench has improved (4th in the league) , they have a level headed leader on this team now (D Fish), and they finally picked up a player to counter the Suns move for Grant Hill in Trevor Ariza.  Do I think they are right now?  I'd say it's a bit pre-mature.

Let's not to jump the gun here I think they need to not let the hype get to their heads.  If you guys remember last year the Lakers were in this same spot.  They are in the same spot they were last year in the W/L column.    They were approaching 13 games over .500 and then ended up getting key players hurt.  So I think its a bit pre mature to say anything yet.  Like Kobe said against the Kings back in the day, it's not a true rivalry until they beat the Lakers in the playoffs.  Right now the Lakers have yet to beat PHX in the playoffs so they still have to prove they can do that before they get the serious nod for contender.

As far as the matchup with the Suns...well I think this falls back onto Mike "Overrated" D'Antoni.  Instead of making a move to counter the Lakers he only adjusted to what Phil Jackson wanted to do.  To me it was like he conceeded to play the Lakers style of basketball by bringing in Diaw, Outlaw, and Skinner.  Instead of bringing in quicker players and just trying to run down their throats he brought in slower, non-offensive guys that bogged down the run and gun game.  Essentially it turned more into a half court game and they don't have any business playing the Lakers in the half court.  Even before Bynum came along they couldn't hang with them in the post when Kwame was there so it's only worse now.  Not only that but it put Raja Bell on the bench and he is the only person on that squad who has any chance guarding Kobe.  Btw did anyone see that they showed each other love after the game?!  That was weird.

Reality try learning the game of basketball and you will understand why some of these players get wide open looks.  It's because teams are focused in on Kobe so much.  If they got rid of Kobe today then you would see just how much attention he commands.  Even if he scores 10 points in a game, he is still a serious threat that demands attention from the defense.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 01:26:17 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »
Phil Jackson and I, nay the basketball world has so much to learn from you.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:59:29 PM »
Phil Jackson and I, nay the basketball world has so much to learn from you.

Phil Jackson knows the importance of having Kobe on the floor.  That is why he decided to coach him again.  But he has nothing to learn from me.

You however could learn a lot  ;)  My class could be a warm up for you and then you could move onto other posters here who know more about the game then I do like Joe.  I'll teach basketball 101 to you if you like.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 03:40:07 PM »
There's a doozy of a thread to pull out.  Good one.

But agreed with WK, Joe knows his stuff (...mostly); which is why he needs to post more on here, ya BUM!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 04:00:51 PM »
Lakers are a legit playoff contendor, meaning they have a legit shot at getting INTO the playoffs.

Lakers have a legit shot at winning a playoff series, especially if they get the Suns or Mavs.

Lakers are NOT a legit WC championship contendor.

Lakers are NOT a legit NBA championship contendor.

A team like the Spurs would probably kill the Lakers.  Kobe cannot guard both Parker and Gnob, one of those guys is going to get lose and get into the paint against the Lakers.  Not sure what Ariza is capable of, if Ariza and Kobe can be assigned to guard Parker and Gnob, then Fish can be freed up to guard Bowen.  The biggest problem I see is TD destroying Bynum, the playoffs are a whole different ball game and I can see Bynum spending most of his time on the bench due to foul trouble.  Bynum would probably get in so much foul trouble trying to stay with TD and guarding the paint against Parker and Gnob that the Lakers interior defense would just disappear.  Odom cannot guard TD either so IMO PJ will have to play Kwame alot vs guys like TD.

I really like the Suns matchup, that is still the Lakers best bet for an upset.  The biggest headace is Barbosa, he can cause alot of problem in the paint for the Lakers.  I still don't get how the Mavs do what they do, they must use smoke and mirrors or a sixth player to play as well as they do with the talent they have.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 04:28:54 PM »
Lakers are a legit playoff contendor, meaning they have a legit shot at getting INTO the playoffs.

Lakers have a legit shot at winning a playoff series, especially if they get the Suns or Mavs.

Lakers are NOT a legit WC championship contendor.

Lakers are NOT a legit NBA championship contendor.

A team like the Spurs would probably kill the Lakers.  Kobe cannot guard both Parker and Gnob, one of those guys is going to get lose and get into the paint against the Lakers.  Not sure what Ariza is capable of, if Ariza and Kobe can be assigned to guard Parker and Gnob, then Fish can be freed up to guard Bowen.  The biggest problem I see is TD destroying Bynum, the playoffs are a whole different ball game and I can see Bynum spending most of his time on the bench due to foul trouble.  Bynum would probably get in so much foul trouble trying to stay with TD and guarding the paint against Parker and Gnob that the Lakers interior defense would just disappear.  Odom cannot guard TD either so IMO PJ will have to play Kwame alot vs guys like TD.

I really like the Suns matchup, that is still the Lakers best bet for an upset.  The biggest headace is Barbosa, he can cause alot of problem in the paint for the Lakers.  I still don't get how the Mavs do what they do, they must use smoke and mirrors or a sixth player to play as well as they do with the talent they have.

Very well said.  I agree with your assessment.  The Lakers still have yet to prove to anyone they can get out of the first round let alone get far enough to be considered a legit contender to come out of the west. 

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 08:21:42 PM »
First of all, the Lakers beating the Suns in the playoffs this year would be no upset, second of all, the Lakers are IMO underrated right now, young team, good balance, lots of upside.

That being said, they still have ALOT to prove, it is too early in the season to be taling about what they can do in the WC, except to say I think they could easily take the Suns and have a legitimate shot at taking Dallas. Bynum is getting a double bouble every game and is maing pretty good decision on the floor and the Laker bench is a good as any in the league. Kobe showed total unselfishness against Phoenix and the balanced offensive attack was only overshadowed by the defense they played. Bynum is the center of the future for LA if he continues at this pace and I thin the Lakers will get out of the first round this year, handily if the face the Suns.
Dan