Author Topic: Are the Celtics for real ?  (Read 2859 times)

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
Are the Celtics for real ?
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:16:47 AM »
I won't get to see them play where I am,not even on tape delay,so I ask you: are they really that good (and a shoe-in for the eastern finals) ?

I know 16-2 sounds awesome ... until you look at opponents win percentage.

The only teams better than .500 they played so far are Nuggets, Lakers, and Warriors (all W's at home) and Magic (L on the road) ... and we might count the loss at Cleveland too, which still had LBJ and a winning %.

For my part, i'm not convinced yet they can beat the real top teams (like for examply ANY of the division leaders, which they haven't played so far). What you think?
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Are the Celtics for real ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:27:36 AM »
If by "for real", that means very very good, they're for real.  Barring an injury, they're class of the east by far. 

The Ray Allen deal, when it was made, made no sense to me.  After they acquired KG, all the pieces fit.  He's turned that team into a defensive beast.

Offline atom2030

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 01:01:53 PM »
well, I know they have to learn to play from each other and will only get better towards the latter parts of the season, but right now,their "track record" against contenders is 0-2 for the season. (As much as I like them I can't call the Warriors contenders yet, and Lakers are definitely not).

can't wait for tonight, to see how they handle a Bulls team
(which is coming from a draining win at Detroit last night, where starters logged heavy minutes)
this will be a bigger game for the Bulls, but it will tell a lot about the balance of powers in the East.
Felix Skydivers '13

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:48:29 PM »
well, I know they have to learn to play from each other and will only get better towards the latter parts of the season, but right now,their "track record" against contenders is 0-2 for the season. (As much as I like them I can't call the Warriors contenders yet, and Lakers are definitely not).

can't wait for tonight, to see how they handle a Bulls team
(which is coming from a draining win at Detroit last night, where starters logged heavy minutes)
this will be a bigger game for the Bulls, but it will tell a lot about the balance of powers in the East.

I don't know how much stock you can put into the Bulls right now they look like they will miss the playoffs in the Weakstern Conference.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »
For what it's worth, the Celtics won by 11.  They held the Bulls to 36% shooting.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:00:11 AM »
So far it appears that the Celtics are far and away the best team in the East, but whether they're competitive against the elite teams, you'll have to wait until they play each other.

There's no way you can know how well a team will do against the Spurs or the Suns until they play them.  Individual match-ups are significant.  Garnett has been dominant down-low and Boston defends and rebounds better than most teams, but how will they do against Tim Duncan or Amare Stoudamire?

IMO Boston creates some real problems for a lot of teams because few have the players to match up with theirs.  Their big three compliment each other and all demand attention on the offensive end.  Their role players are all decent outside shooters, so if you double-team they can make you pay.

They're definitely for real, but I don't know if they're real contenders yet.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:29:24 AM »
^^  Exactly.  And how well the role players do may be as much a key (more) then how well the Big 3 do in playoff crunch time.
How many times have we seen Michael Finley nail a key trey ('07), Bruce Bowen not only D up but hit key shots including treys, Fabs tip a key offensive rebound out, Brent Barrdog float nice treys vs Phx ('05), Stevie Kerr play like a 1st team All Star (03).

With Boston we need to see how the role players will do.
Also vs Orlando.  At this point i do not concede East title to Boston over Orlando, 0-1 so far.
By the way W.o.W. nice buzzword in "WeakStern" for his refusal to seed overall.

Offline atom2030

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 03:31:22 PM »
well, derek, everyone held the Bulls to 36%-39% shooting this season. in fact they don't even need opposition for that, they wouldn't crack 40% in an empty gym. I've hardly seen such an offensive choke job from any Bulls teams in the last 10 seasons. And that includes the Bagaric/Tarlac years.

yeah, the Celtics won by 11. The lead was 3 though with 40sec left.

and they needed every one of Rajon Rondo's 18 points to hold on. that won't happen too often.

Sure, stopping all of their big 3 won't happen, and aslong as they play great D they can beat anybody, but right now I'm not convinced to call them Eastern fav's.
Felix Skydivers '13

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 04:24:34 PM »
well, derek, everyone held the Bulls to 36%-39% shooting this season. in fact they don't even need opposition for that, they wouldn't crack 40% in an empty gym. I've hardly seen such an offensive choke job from any Bulls teams in the last 10 seasons. And that includes the Bagaric/Tarlac years.

yeah, the Celtics won by 11. The lead was 3 though with 40sec left.

and they needed every one of Rajon Rondo's 18 points to hold on. that won't happen too often.

Sure, stopping all of their big 3 won't happen, and aslong as they play great D they can beat anybody, but right now I'm not convinced to call them Eastern fav's.

I think that has to go to Orlando right now.  The two teams that are EC contenders for that top spot... last years top EC team and Orlando both have beat them.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline atom2030

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »
yeah, I agree.
Pistons and Magic look rock solid AND deep, unlike the Beantowners.

(I know you did talk about the Bron'eers, but this team as as much contender as the Bulls. Plus, they won't surprise anybody anymore in the playoffs. People will take them for real this time and take care)
Felix Skydivers '13

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx