Author Topic: Billy King fired by the Sixers!  (Read 1799 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Billy King fired by the Sixers!
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:17:02 AM »
I am surprised by the timing, and not so sure about his replacement, Nets GM Ed Stefanski.

King made a lot of mistakes as Sixers GM, a lot of them were with Larry Brown and a lot of them came after.  The Sixers havent' been a contender for a very long time- failing again and again to build around Iverson, and then ending up trading him and Chris Webber away as net loses to the team.

It makes me wonder why this wasn't done sooner, I guess we may never know unless Mr. Snyder decides to speak.  Then again, he was the same way when he got rid of Flyers GM Bobby Clarke.

The Sixers played a terrible game last night against the Atlanta Hawks.  I couldn't even watch at the end.

Offline atom2030

• AOL Instant Messenger - atom2030
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tomp22000
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Billy King fired by the Sixers!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 11:15:52 AM »
can't wait for bods comments after he returned from dancing through the streets ...
 ;D
===============================
Felix Skydivers '13
In honor of Felix Baumgartners adventures
... and not just because he's Austrian too

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx
xxx-xxx

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:15:08 PM »
ABOUT TIME!!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:03:38 PM »

can't wait for bods comments after he returned from dancing through the streets ...
 ;D

http://sixers.realgm.com/articles/114/20071204/sixers%5C_new_direction_leaves_lots_of_questions/

I'm happy about the move, but the timing does seem a little curious to me.  I'm not sure what changed between the offseason and now, which worries me a little if Ed Snider thinks he can retool.  But ultimately, Billy made enough mistakes where it's time to go.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »
Was it if the had a decent first month of the season his job was secured for the rest of the year?  I sense some big trades coming from the Sixers this year.  Only reason I say that is it sounds like they wanted to get King out of the way now while they were still able to pull a trigger on a trade rather then waiting until later on in the season.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 01:35:48 PM »
I don't think so . . .

About the only thing that's for sure is Maurice Cheeks is definitely going to get fired.  Only question is will they have an interim or will Larry Brown come right in.  If they trade anyone it'll have to be Andre Miller but I think they could've done that without having to fire Billy King.  The King firing is either a Larry Brown or Ed Snider power play, not a way of securing a trade.  I'd be more sure that it was a Brown maneuver IF Stefanski wasn't hired.  Although, Stefanski could just be a GM figure-head in the same vein of a Bernie Bickerstaff (in Charlotte) or Randy Pfund (in Miami).   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 12:24:49 PM »
Actually, I think Cheeks is safe until the end of the year, at least.  Hard to win with the team he's got, and Cheeks generally enjoys the support of Philadelphia fans - and that's saying something. 
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!