Author Topic: This is starting to get silly...New Kobe trade rumors  (Read 5935 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: This is starting to get silly...New Kobe trade rumors
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 01:21:29 PM »
Kobe can opt out after the 2008-9 season.  This season is 2007-8, the following is 2008-9. 
Using Non Laker Math, that is TWO seasons.

Who the hell was talking about his CURRENT contract?  PLEASE try and follow your OWN discussion.

As to his being traded in midseason 2003-4, a sign n trade could have been demanded by any would-be Kobe courters.

LAST TIME, in the future I will just use the "YOU ARE WRONG NUMBSKULL" (YAWN) default answer.  Kobe's LEVERAGE back then is that he didn't HAVE TO nor WOULD HE agree to a sign n trade.  You cannot force Kobe to so something he doesn't want to do, that is clearly obvious.  Since he wanted to be an unrestricted FA he would not do a sign n trade therefore a team aquiring Kobe would only be guaranteed to have him for one season.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 01:23:13 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2007, 02:33:55 PM »
Your Density,

I will soon post a complete list of teams who acquired a player at the risk of "only the rest of the season" yet titled.
'Sheed. 

Also you do not know if Kobe would or would not have accepted a sign n trade.  You state is as fact.  Using bold caps does not strenghten your argument.

Lastly as to the celetialness of your Laker Universe, here is more new Kobe evidence:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071031/sc_afp/usastronomy2;_ylt=AlxQd_aYDsGBRoVdxubQqh3QOrgF

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2007, 04:18:27 PM »
Also you do not know if Kobe would or would not have accepted a sign n trade.

Also you do not know...

EXACTLY!!!!  As a GM of an NBA franchise would you take that risk?

I already broke my YAWN rule!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »
Kobe isn't going anywhere. The Lakers are screwed.  It is partly their fault, and partly Kobe's.  If Kobe just let Shaq be the big man, the Lakers would still be competing for titles.

As it is Kobe (and the Lakers) are suffereing a prolonged perioid of uninspiring basketball.  The Lakers haven't been able to build a team around Kobe, so he wants to leave.  Too Bad!

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't want Kobe, (except maybe Miami) but none of them are going to gut their team to get him.  The only team I can think of that MIGHT be able to do a deal is Toronto.  They are very deep, very tall, and have a lot of excellent outside shooters. 

Chances are, Kobe will end up with another season with no shot at the title, and no prospects.  He will wait until Free Agency, and the Lakers won't get a thing for him.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 07:40:54 PM »
Kobe isn't going anywhere. The Lakers are screwed.  It is partly their fault, and partly Kobe's.  If Kobe just let Shaq be the big man, the Lakers would still be competing for titles.

Where are you getting your insight from rick?  According to Kobe AND Shaq, it was never about Kobe vs Shaq, it was about Shaq vs the Lakers and now it's about Kobe vs the Lakers.  So how did you get  your info about "If Kobe just let Shaq" from?  Shaq has stated that was NOT the problem, please let some of us Laker fans know where you are getting your insider accurate information.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 04:59:14 AM »
Where are you getting your insight from rick?  According to Kobe AND Shaq, it was never about Kobe vs Shaq, it was about Shaq vs the Lakers and now it's about Kobe vs the Lakers.  So how did you get  your info about "If Kobe just let Shaq" from?  Shaq has stated that was NOT the problem, please let some of us Laker fans know where you are getting your insider accurate information.

Well I don't know about Rick, but I got my info from Magic Johnson.

<yawn>
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »
EXACTLY where I got it from Skandery!

But that's not even important- that's just looking at the past to see how you're gotten where you are.

It's the present and the future of the Lakers that's at issue here.  Without Kobe, there is no show and there is no draw.  That isn't a problem this year, but it will be.

The Lakers won't find any takers for Kobe- why should other teams help them out by giving them anywhere equal value.  Kobe wouldn't WANT to go to any team that guts itself for him anyway.  He wants to win, and be recognized as the star he is, and he wants to bask in the spotlight.

The only way for Kobe to ever get a ring is to go to a team that is already competitive and doesn't have to give up a lot of talent to get him.  This seems pretty clear to me.  He becomes a free agent and teams will get into a bidding war- only teams with a shot at the title already need apply.  This also fits with Kobe's goal to be the hero- the missing ingredient that puts a perenial almost team over the top.

That is what I want to see discussed- will Kobe decide to go the free-agent route, or will he sacrifice to help out the Lakers?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2007, 12:35:11 AM »

Well I don't know about Rick, but I got my info from Magic Johnson.

<yawn>

Oh I see, we should ignore what Shaq and Kobe said and go with Magic.  mmmmmkaayyyy.. Y.A.W.N.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2007, 11:27:47 AM »
WayOut,

Yes.  We should ignore the people who have a vested interest in painting a picture of themselves that looks the best way it can, and listen to a person who has an interest in the TEAM more than the individuals.

And if you won't listen to Magic, listen to Bill Russell.  Shaq stated that he tried to mend fences with Kobe because "the great Mr. Russell" told him to.  Why would Russell tell Shaq to mend the fences with Kobe if there were no broken fences in the first place?

Or better yet, listen to the logic that you yourself would use if you were the teammate of the two...talking privately about the 6v11$#!+ way the two act on the court...and comparing that to the things Robert Horry said after leaving.

When a Laker executive and Hall-of-Famer, the greatest player in history, and the ex-teammate who has more rings WITHOUT Shaq and Kobe than he has WITH Shaq and Kobe all are saying the same kinds of things, I'd have to think there's something to it.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2007, 11:55:02 AM »
WayOut,

Yes.  We should ignore the people who have a vested interest in painting a picture of themselves that looks the best way it can, and listen to a person who has an interest in the TEAM more than the individuals.

Magic, Buss, Cupcake, etc.. all have vested interests in painting the best picture for the franchise as well.  I have a problem with people thinking their side of it is fact when in reality nobody on this board knows for sure what really happened.  From the outside looking in, it did look like Shaq got the shaft from the Lakers.  Shaq successfully recruited Payton and Malone and he got traded for his efforts.  The Lakers have not made ANY legit moves to build around Kobe post Shaq.  RadMan is not exactly the blockbuster aquistion any Laker fan was looking for, there are teams making real moves to improve themselves yet L.A. seems to stand pat with the Kobe show.  IMO the Lakers are the most prominant team in the NBA, why won't Buss spend some extra bucks to give the Lakers a legit reason to hold that tier?  Boston looks poised to make a splash on a national level but they are very far removed from really mattering to the average NBA fan.  The Lakers are still a big draw but they are losing ground to teams like Cleveland and the Suns.  While IMO Kobe and Shaq are arrogant, selfish and destructive SOB's for thier relationships with the Lakers, I still see that the Lakers are not blameless.

And if you won't listen to Magic, listen to Bill Russell.  Shaq stated that he tried to mend fences with Kobe because "the great Mr. Russell" told him to.  Why would Russell tell Shaq to mend the fences with Kobe if there were no broken fences in the first place?

I have NEVER stated there were no problems between Shaq and Kobe, I've known about them long before it became a topic on any message board.  The problems with Kobe started when the Lakers lost to Utah and those infamous "air ball" three's Kobe took.  Tex Winter said the first problem he had to deal with when the PJ coaching staff took over the Lakers was the animosity towards Kobe from everyone except Fisher.  That is not what caused the situation with the Lakers now, no doubt it contributed but the main reason is the problems between Shaq/Kobe and the Lakers front office.  I have stated over and over again that the Lakers are bigger than any one or two players, that is still the case today but the Lakers are not without blame/fault.

Or better yet, listen to the logic that you yourself would use if you were the teammate of the two...talking privately about the 6v11$#!+ way the two act on the court...and comparing that to the things Robert Horry said after leaving.

Think about this Joe, two players who could barely stand each other still took the Lakers deep into the playoffs and where a championship contender every year, much like Bird and McHale, and now the Lakers would be considered lucky to even make the playoffs.  I'd rather have those two egomainiacs on the court winning then single happy campers losing.

When a Laker executive and Hall-of-Famer, the greatest player in history, and the ex-teammate who has more rings WITHOUT Shaq and Kobe than he has WITH Shaq and Kobe all are saying the same kinds of things, I'd have to think there's something to it.

IF Kobe had told Buss it's me or Shaq, I would agree the Lakers made the right decision.  I thought that might be and probably was the case when it happened but now I highly doubt it.  What it comes down too is the Lakers front office burned bridges with both Kobe and Shaq, and now Kobe feels he has to get out and move to a contendor.  If the bridges were not burn Kobe might be more accomodating but since things are so bad he's not going to do the Laekers any favors. 

I blame both sides EQUALLY in this matter.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 11:58:41 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2007, 03:06:27 PM »
EXACTLY!!!!  As a GM of an NBA franchise would you take that risk?

I already broke my YAWN rule!
  Joe Dumars did with 'Sheed in Feb 2004.  Ended up winning the Finals.  Who did they beat?
Sheed then reupped with Detroit, did another Finals appearance in 2005, went 7 games in loss to Spurs.
yawn.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 03:24:36 PM »

IF Kobe had told Buss it's me or Shaq, I would agree the Lakers made the right decision.  I thought that might be and probably was the case when it happened but now I highly doubt it.  What it comes down too is the Lakers front office burned bridges with both Kobe and Shaq, and now Kobe feels he has to get out and move to a contendor.  If the bridges were not burn Kobe might be more accomodating but since things are so bad he's not going to do the Laekers any favors. 

I blame both sides EQUALLY in this matter.

*IF* that happened - and I believe that it *DID* - then why are we arguing?  Kobe got HIMSELF into this situation, which is exactly the point.

You see, you may believe this notion - a very correct one, in my opinion - that the Lakers are bigger than any player - but the Laker front office didn't see it that way when Kobe made his threat.  If they had, then they'd have done the sign-and-trade of Kobe then.  And they could have gotten away with it then, because there were teams out there that thought Kobe could carry a team to the championship by himself, and Kobe believed that, too.

No, the Lakers made the WRONG decision.  The correct decision would have been to keep Shaq, and trade Kobe, because KOBE was the one who bought into the belief that he was bigger than the Lakers...and, as you have seen, he persists in that belief.  The Lakers front office foolishly believed that Bryant was loyal to anyone other than Bryant, and it cost them.  YES - it's their fault - for capitulating to a self-important dweeb who hasn't got a loyal bone in his body.

Kobe never DESERVED to be a Laker.  He *NEVER* deserved to be a Laker.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 04:23:34 PM »
You see, you may believe this notion - a very correct one, in my opinion - that the Lakers are bigger than any player - but the Laker front office didn't see it that way when Kobe made his threat.  If they had, then they'd have done the sign-and-trade of Kobe then.  And they could have gotten away with it then, because there were teams out there that thought Kobe could carry a team to the championship by himself, and Kobe believed that, too.

So Kobe must have used an old Jedi mind trick to get Shaq to point to Jerry Buss in the stands and yell "Pay me my money!" in a preseason game in Hawaii.  I saw that incident and thougth Shaq was a huge a-hole.  Shaq's problems with the Lakers were SHAQ's OWN doing.  I don't blame Kobe for that.

No, the Lakers made the WRONG decision.  The correct decision would have been to keep Shaq, and trade Kobe, because KOBE was the one who bought into the belief that he was bigger than the Lakers...and, as you have seen, he persists in that belief.  The Lakers front office foolishly believed that Bryant was loyal to anyone other than Bryant, and it cost them.  YES - it's their fault - for capitulating to a self-important dweeb who hasn't got a loyal bone in his body.

Kobe never DESERVED to be a Laker.  He *NEVER* deserved to be a Laker.

You must not be familiar with Shaq's history with the Lakers.  I heard him with my own ears say that people who gave a problem with Shaq end up like Nick Van Excel, Elden Cambell and Eddie Jones.  Nobody gets between Shaq and his team, he was pretty much refferring to Kobe in that rant.  So what is the difference between the BS Kobe is pulling and the BS that Shaq pulled when they BOTH made themselves bigger than the Lakers in their own minds?

Chosing between two EVILS, the Lakers chose correctly, the younger evil who actually gives a flying DUCK (quack! effing quck!) about his conditioning and has a work ethic.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 04:24:21 PM »
Joe Dumars did with 'Sheed in Feb 2004.

YAWN!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »
" IMO the Lakers are the most prominant team in the NBA, why won't Buss spend some extra bucks to give the Lakers a legit reason to hold that tier?  Boston looks poised to make a splash on a national level but they are very far removed from really mattering to the average NBA fan.  The Lakers are still a big draw but they are losing ground to teams like Cleveland and the Suns.  While IMO Kobe and Shaq are arrogant, selfish and destructive SOB's for thier relationships with the Lakers, I still see that the Lakers are not blameless."

Maybe in LA it looks like that but from everywhere else it looks like the Lakers are now just another franchise- one with a better past, but not much of a future.

Joe said that Kobe never deserved to be a Laker, but I disagree. Kobe is one of the top 5 in the NBA if not the best.  It is entirely understandable that he wants to be in a position to compete for a title now that he's in his prime as a player. It speaks volumes about the Lakers front office that they have not been able to bring in sufficient talent to keep Kobe happy and engaged. 

When he went there, he went with the expectation that the Lakers would continue to assemble quality teams throughout his career.  I think Kobe's attitude had a great deal to do with Shaq's disenchantment, but a strong franchise would have been able to keep that from destroying the team.  Buss is too old, Cupcake isn't good enough.  West is long gone.  The Lakers aren't the team in the spotlight anymore.

San Antonio is the team to beat in the NBA now, with the Suns and Mavericks the only teams with an apparent shot.  It would not surprise me to see Boston get to the finals from the East, with Miami having a shot.