Author Topic: SoCal Burns  (Read 4051 times)

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
SoCal Burns
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:26:03 PM »
Don't we have some of our board brethren living in the burn area? Are you guys all okay?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: SoCal Burns
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:44:11 PM »
Don't we have some of our board brethren living in the burn area? Are you guys all okay?

I think Reality is the only guy that could be in danger.  weakcoast is an OCP..Orange County Pus......err....nevermind.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:25:05 PM »
I thought you were in the area too? Where you at now?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »
I thought you were in the area too? Where you at now?

I used to live in Escondido, north of San Diego, now I live in central/west L.A.  Reality is in the San Diego area.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:01:21 PM »
I live in Irvine where one of the files is blazing (that one was arson)...although it is east of where I am at and we were told it would be contained so to not worry.  Lucky for me all of my family that is in OC, IE are all in spots that are near fires but not close enough to worry.

My girlfriend was working in San Diego for a project and a bunch of companies shut down for the last 2 days.  Needless to say she was told to go back home and work from Orange County.

Reality...how are things going down there?  My GF described driving back from SD as 'eerie' because of how it was pitch black at 5:00 because of how thick the smoke was.  OC got a nice taste of a red moon as well Monday night.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:03:56 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »
Heard from Reality today, he's doing ok.  The board was down for most of the day today so he hasn't posted.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 09:29:47 PM »
Fire got close to house, but firecrews fought it back with air aid.  All is safe for now.  I've been volunteering at Qualcomm, it's a great atmosphere and lots of people have been very generous.  In addition the food is great with a bunch of chefs and restraunts really kicking in with the kindness.  Kind of sorry to hear evacuees gets the boot on Friday due to the Chargers needing the stadium. ::)  It just seems wrong.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:32:56 PM »
Fire got close to house, but firecrews fought it back with air aid.  All is safe for now.  I've been volunteering at Qualcomm, it's a great atmosphere and lots of people have been very generous.  In addition the food is great with a bunch of chefs and restraunts really kicking in with the kindness.  Kind of sorry to hear evacuees gets the boot on Friday due to the Chargers needing the stadium. ::)  It just seems wrong.

When did that news break?  Last I heard the Chargers were going to play in AZ.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 01:18:23 AM »
Fire got close to house, but firecrews fought it back with air aid.  All is safe for now.  I've been volunteering at Qualcomm, it's a great atmosphere and lots of people have been very generous.  In addition the food is great with a bunch of chefs and restraunts really kicking in with the kindness.  Kind of sorry to hear evacuees gets the boot on Friday due to the Chargers needing the stadium. ::)  It just seems wrong.

When did that news break?  Last I heard the Chargers were going to play in AZ.

The mayor is suppose to decide tomorrow according to the local news

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 09:12:16 AM »
Glad to hear everyone is okay. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
Top of the morning to all.  Thanks jn.

Regarding Qualcomm, my understanding is the stadium has to be evacuated on Friday whether or not the Chargers play there this weekend. 

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:31:56 AM »
Regarding Qualcomm, my understanding is the stadium has to be evacuated on Friday whether or not the Chargers play there this weekend.

Glad to see we still know how to prioritize in this country.  ::)

Good thing everyone's doing fine.  Was this forest fires that went out of hand or arson?
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 11:50:25 AM »

Good thing everyone's doing fine.  Was this forest fires that went out of hand or arson?

We ran a package on our 10:00 PM news that said FBI investigators believe one of the fires was set intentionally.  I would assume it's the one 'koast mentioned.

I don't believe arson is suspected as being the cause of the others.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
media is reporting two main original fires, my terms "SD South and SD North" (Harris Fire and Witch Fire) were stated by
South-  illegals cooking food at campfire just this side of the border.  Huge undocumented and skeevy US citizen crossing point.
North- downed power line.

Orange Countys "Santiago Fire" reported as a fact is arson http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/25/fire.arson/?iref=mpstoryview  along with the Riverside fire and i would suspect many others.  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3774317&page=1

Manhunt is on but so far only a 70K reward.  I would think a million plus would be more fitting but maybe that encourages so many false reports.
Incredibly, arson is a max 3 year sentence. ::)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 03:00:09 PM »

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.stirlingfernbedandbreakfast.com/bomber2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.stirlingfernbedandbreakfast.com/links.htm&h=297&w=427&sz=28&hl=en&start=3&sig2=8aOPSxMO8U7mg9uKSA3rdA&um=1&tbnid=8REskOncX3VoKM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=126&ei=8uIhR_rNEqaYggPhiLhA&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMartin%2BMars%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GFRC%26sa%3DN
After delays getting through customs (Reality here, i think like over 48 hours delays), the Martin Mars amphibious water bomber has arrived from Vancouver, British Columbia and is in Southern California. Reader Dave Bohorquez snapped this shot of the big seaplane floating in Lake Elsinore, awaiting firefighting assignments.  Update, will be utilized Friday at the earliest (5 days after fires started).

More goodies:
The Marine Corps had offered up to 20 CH-53 firefighting helicopters as early as Sunday, according to a Miramar news release. But a Marine spokesman said Cal Fire didn't ask for them until Tuesday.
We were prepared to conduct missions before that, but we had not received any requests at that time, said Maj. Jason Johnston, a Miramar Marine Corps Air Station spokesman.  I do know that, once the request came, we were able to respond.

A drumbeat of criticism, fanned in part by talk radio, TV news and the Internet, appeared to build during the day over whether the firefighting fleet was fully mobilized. Those concerns may have been heightened by an announcement late yesterday afternoon that the arrival of a giant Canadian seaplane  the privately owned Martin Mars called in to join the fight had been delayed because of customs issues.
San Diego Fire Chief Tracy Jarman expected the former Navy flying boat, capable of dropping enough water to cover 4 acres in a single pass, to arrive in Southern California last night.

Retired San Diego Fire Chief Jeff Bowman was just as critical when discussing military support, or the lack thereof. He said he watched as Hunter appeared on morning news briefings yesterday to talk about the delay in bringing in massive military planes designed to drop tons of fire retardant.
?Why weren't those pre-positioned here weeks ago?? Bowman asked.  We knew the high-pressure system was building.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 08:00:16 AM by Reality »