Author Topic: Why does San Diego not attract top coaches?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Why does San Diego not attract top coaches?
« on: October 02, 2007, 01:27:20 PM »
Would like to hear the perspective from you in other parts of U.S.

This is twice now in recent times (Year 2000 onward) that both the Chargers and Padres have had a very good nucleous with potential of run, a good one, like 5 years worth with not only playoffs every year roster but Championship roster teams.

Marty is a top rebuilding coach, perhaps the top in modern era.  Yet that was already shown in Cleveland and KC.  So, when hired in 2002, were there not top coaches lurking and saying hey, Marty will rebuild this team in two years.  Prime time to take over, lead team to Championship(s).  Sure enough Marty brings them to 8-8 in 2002.  Myself i thought blow him out after 2002 when they started 6-1 and ended 8-8.  Thanks for the rebuild, now lets move to the next level.  Instead next years 4-12 was blamed largely on Martys stubbon insistence of Brees over Flutie, altho Brees certainly developed for 2004.  I would have sent Marty after '03 but most def after 2004s 12-4 did the predictable 1st Round n out as he snatched defeat from victory as only Marty can do vs the Jets.

Ditto Padres.  Building the team up for a World Series appearance in 1998, thereafter greedy lying owner John Moores got the taxpayer new stadium bond passed, he immediately went into firesale mode and not only dismantled team but made no attempt to sign top free agents.  This went on until about 2005, when GM Kevin Towers continued to make mostly good trades, a few great ones and a few complete clunkers but all in all very good given the financial handcuffs Moores put him under.

So with Jake Peavy, Chris Young, Adrian Gonzales, Khalil Green all locked up, the Padres stuck with yes man sell out Bruce Bochy.  You could see the roster had potential and that it was only a matter of time before Bochys would leave.  Again, was there not top managers lurking, waiting for what would be a very good roster for this year and several more years? 
Instead they settle on Bud Black, no better or worse then Bochy.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: Why does San Diego not attract top coaches?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »
It's because of their fans.  Nobody likes their fans.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:25:40 PM »
It's because of their fans.  Nobody likes their fans.

HAHA!  Did you talk to Shannon at some point over the last few days?

Sunday, while at Truman's watching some football, he was making fun of some San Diego fans sitting near us.  Anytime the Chiefs did something well, or SD did something poorly, he was all over them ...

"Boy, you'd think their fans would be more supportive."

"You know why San Diego sucks?  It's because of their fans!"

"Man, if I was one of their fans I'd think about killing myself.  Of course, I'm not stupid enough to become one in the first place!"

And so on and so forth.  I don't know if they were just ignoring him or couldn't hear.  Either way, with my back toward them, I wasn't taking any chances, so I palmed a beer bottle the entire time just in case.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 01:40:45 PM »
I thought you two would have loved it when the chants of "Marty Marty" erupted in the 4th qtr.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 02:29:18 PM »
Either way, with my back toward them, I wasn't taking any chances, so I palmed a beer bottle the entire time just in case.

. . . just in case, what?  A rising situation needed escalating.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 03:11:17 PM »
Either way, with my back toward them, I wasn't taking any chances, so I palmed a beer bottle the entire time just in case.

. . . just in case, what?  A rising situation needed escalating.   

Oh, come on ... EVERY situation Shannon's involved in needs to be escalated.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 03:18:55 PM »
yeah . . . although his mere presence, alone, escalates ANY situation.  As the anecdote colorfully illustrates.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."