Author Topic: OT: if you run from the cops do you deserve to be executed?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
OT: if you run from the cops do you deserve to be executed?
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:31 PM »
I understand that a car is a deadly weapon BUT when you stand in front of it and use yourself as a barrier it almost seems like entrapment to me.  Either way, I think you deserve a beating for running from the cops because you put innocent lives at risk but I am not sure if I would take it from beating to execution.

http://www.officer.com/videonetwork/index.jsp?showid=378811
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OT: if you run from the cops do you deserve to be executed?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:55:18 AM »
I don't think you should be beaten if you run from the cops.  I understand you put other peoples lives in danger by doing that but that goes for plenty of other things.  If you drink and drive the cops should be able to beat you then.  Same with selling marijuana or prescription pills.

As for a cop trying to block the car...I don't think you should get shot over something like that.  Being we are from LA W.O.W you should know you get killed by the police for much less then this.  I remember when I was still in elementry school some guy got shot like 14 times by a whole bunch of police while he was parked in a stall.  After they ran an investigation they found out he didn't actually steal the car he was in, it was his sisters.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:01:24 PM »
Sadly i think limited police budgets figured into this.  The police car initially coming upon the runners car veeery early on, like 10 seconds into tape (18:33 on tape) could have easily taken him out.  Then again about a minute later (19:35 tape) when runners car turned around.  I know Force officers are told not to ram cars unless neccessary, reason being money being right up there in priority.  As it stands in the end 2 police cars ended up ramming him.

Can't the police cars be equipped with some type of shooting spike tire strip ala Spyderman?
Other techie way to take out tires?

How many new police cars, Spyder Strip equipped or not could be purchased with Iraq war money? ::)

As to the exection, was Runner going to continue to try to drive away as policeman was on hood of car?  I would call cops being on hood of car "entrapment", but "good entrapment".
Too bad rubber bullits could not have been used but then even if rubbers were available, how are cops supposed to make split second decisions not nowing if Runner had his own gun ready to fire?  Runner had already shown deadly driving by being in wrong lane at high speeds.  Letting runner back out on road puts your kids WOW (who were driving around a 1/2 mile away coming home from bowling) in peril.  I still say police cars need to be equipped with some kind of high tech way to take out tires.  Money for this coming from Iraq/Haliburton.

It's a sad sick world.  It's only when Satans eliminated are you going to see the end of this stuff. 

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 03:06:59 PM »
It's only when Satans eliminated are you going to see the end of this stuff.

curious

???
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
Reality would taking out satans also include the end to the  Los Angeles Lakers as an NBA basketball team?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:57:18 PM »
based upon the video and how it played out there is no justification for the cops actions, WOW is right this was an execution.  But there were parts that were missing, and it is not possible to understand exactly what happened.  The driver had to start shooting before the cops did, or it was simply an execution.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:26:33 PM »
Police are not permitted to use deadly force unless their lives are in danger, or if the lives of innocent civilians are in imminent danger.

Any use of deadly force outside of those conditions is illegal.

Police are here to protect us and our rights.  They are not here to kill us.

Based on what I saw of the video- and it IS edited, which makes me suspicious, the Police had no justification to shoot the driver.  They did have justification to arrest them, but not kill them.

We the people decide which criminals are killed by deliberating in a jury, and a judge makes a ruling.  Police who step outside of the law are criminals themselves.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 09:34:37 PM by rickortreat »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 09:31:48 AM »
Are we watching the same video?

The moment the car starts driving with the policeman on the hood, deadly force was justified.

What are you wanting here - for the guy to build up sufficient speed so that the policeman would die if thrown off the car?
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 10:26:57 AM »

The moment the car starts driving with the policeman on the hood, deadly force was justified.

What are you wanting here - for the guy to build up sufficient speed so that the policeman would die if thrown off the car?

Are we reading the same thread?  Why the F was the cop on the car in the first place.  It's like that South Park gag where idiots are shooting and killing endangered spcies animals because "It's comming right at us!".
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »

Are we reading the same thread?  Why the F was the cop on the car in the first place.  It's like that South Park gag where idiots are shooting and killing endangered spcies animals because "It's comming right at us!".

Exactly!  Is getting on the hood of a car a "normal" move by an officer attempting to make an arrest, or is it one to provoke a pseudo justified killing?  You hem in the car and approach safely, not jump on the hood like some crazed Rambo!

That officer should not be able to hold a position of authority.  There is something wrong with his professional judgment. 

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 09:04:50 AM »
I saw the video for the first time last night.   

It's definitely a slippery slope as to the legality (or justification) of opening fire.  I don't think either party is 100% in the clear from the part that was on film.  Whereas you can question the recklessness of the driver, you can also question why that cop jumped on the hood of a car that never intended to stop.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 09:45:22 AM »

??? ???

He jumped on the hood as if that is how you handle an arrest of someone in a car.