Author Topic: The Simpsons Movie (after you've seen it)  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
The Simpsons Movie (after you've seen it)
« on: July 25, 2007, 02:22:00 AM »
Really don't want to read any spoilers before viewing so can you bear with me and use this thread?
C'mon, we've all got way to much time invested in The Simpsons up to this point.  Lets see what they do with the movie.  Old style great writing or new style garbage?
I may indeed go to ComicCon if indeed it's shown pre release on Thursday. :D
It is indeed being shown in digital theaters.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: The Simpsons Movie (after you've seen it)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:07:40 AM »
Really don't want to read any spoilers before viewing so can you bear with me and use this thread?
C'mon, we've all got way to much time invested in The Simpsons up to this point.  Lets see what they do with the movie.  Old style great writing or new style garbage?
I may indeed go to ComicCon if indeed it's shown pre release on Thursday. :D
It is indeed being shown in digital theaters.

Spider pig, spider pig!!!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:02:39 PM »
Dabods, if neccessary can i have temp powers of edit?

And WOW when are your kids taking you to The Simpsons?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 04:50:28 PM »
I am going to try to go early tomorrow morning solo to a small theater here in Huntington Beach.

Didn't realize the movie was going to be 2 hours long but if any two cartoons can keep my attention for that long it's The Simpsons and South Park.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:03:02 PM »
I am going to try to go early tomorrow morning solo to a small theater here in Huntington Beach.

Didn't realize the movie was going to be 2 hours long but if any two cartoons can keep my attention for that long it's The Simpsons and South Park.

Shut your frogging face uncle frogger.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 08:37:41 PM »

Koastal it's 1 hr 25 minutes.  You might have read it like 125 minutes.  Anywho I, like you on the other thread, hope it's not just like an extended episode feeling but rather a full on movie feeling.  Also some of the great 30 min episodes (really 21 minutes with commercials) are so good it's fine with me if the movie is a solid 95 minutes.

I'm bagging ComicCon, will shoot for Fri a.m. if possible. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »

Koastal it's 1 hr 25 minutes.  You might have read it like 125 minutes.  Anywho I, like you on the other thread, hope it's not just like an extended episode feeling but rather a full on movie feeling.  Also some of the great 30 min episodes (really 21 minutes with commercials) are so good it's fine with me if the movie is a solid 95 minutes.

I'm bagging ComicCon, will shoot for Fri a.m. if possible. 

On one of the commercials I heard '4x as long' so I thought that meant 2 hours since it is a 30 minute show.  I guess technically it is not a 30 minute show with the commercials now that you mentioned it.

Woke up extra early to take care of a few things so I can try to hit it this afternoon but it's not looking so good! damn!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 09:48:48 PM »
Average at best.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 11:17:32 PM »
Average at best.

whaaa?  Really.  I didn't get a chance to go today but my lady and myself are planning on going tomorrow.  People on KROQ in LA said it was like a really good episode of the show and worth going to see.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 12:00:19 AM »
I thought it was the same old, make that same new negative writing the last 5 years has had.
Oh the plot setup was pretty good and the graphics/drawings were great.  No comparison to the good old days writers tho.  Seemed exactly like a long t.v. ep to me.

I'd like to see what you all think.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 04:21:51 PM »
I thought it was the same old, make that same new negative writing the last 5 years has had.
Oh the plot setup was pretty good and the graphics/drawings were great.  No comparison to the good old days writers tho.  Seemed exactly like a long t.v. ep to me.

I'd like to see what you all think.

Yup, this doesnt happen often but I agree with you 100%.  The movie was average at best.  In fact I got really bored about half way through and wanted to leave.  I am a huge Simpsons fan but it just didn't do it for me.  The movie had chuckles here and there but nothing bust your gut funny at all.  The storyline was obviously better then a typical episode (due to length of time to develop it) and there were a little bit more crude humor but nothing that exciting.  We've spent so long falling in love with these characters that the movie seems to get by on that.  Honest to god this is a DVD rental for those who have not seen it. 

On the positive side the animation was cool yet stuck to the roots of the Simpsons, no crazy Disney/Pixar route thank god.  And the previews you saw really don't give away what the movie is  about.  I was surprised to learn what I assumed what the main plot line was going to entail  was shot down after the first scene.

I am also curious what others think about it.  Critic reviews were really good but word of mouth has been so-so.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 04:26:25 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 08:11:55 PM »
Saw it yesterday.  Started off with a bang, really funny for the first 15 minutes then it got really slow, long stints in between laughs.  I actually caught myself thinking, it's been a while since the WHOLE audiance laughed.  There were a few laughs every minute but overall I'd save your money and wait for the video, not worth the hassel.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 11:16:59 AM »
No one else on the board saw it yet?

Skand?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 12:02:29 PM »
I haven't yet, wk, maybe this weekend....if Wolvie drags me or something.  Is it worth plunkin' down the $5.50 - 7.00?
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 12:32:52 PM »
Saw it on Sunday.   Loved it.  Granted, I'm a Simpsons junkie but I would say it's worth seeing for anyone who is a fan. 
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes