Author Topic: Uh oh...NBA ref betting on games.  (Read 4151 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Uh oh...NBA ref betting on games.
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:55:15 AM »
I guess this explains the last two titles, guess we need to break out two more asterisk! *******

FBI investigating NBA ref
Authorities examining whether calls affected games
Posted: Friday July 20, 2007 10:31AM; Updated: Friday July 20, 2007 11:15AM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The FBI is investigating allegations that a veteran NBA referee bet on basketball games over the past two seasons, including ones in which he officiated.

According to a law enforcement official, authorities are examining whether the referee made calls to affect the point spread in games on which he or associates had wagered.

The law enforcement official, who spoke to the AP on Friday on condition of anonymity, said the referee was aware of the investigation and had made arrangements to surrender as early as next week to face charges. The official, who did not identify the referee, is familiar with the investigation but was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

The law enforcement official said the bets involved thousands of dollars and were made on games during the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons.

The probe, which began recently, also involves allegations that the referee had connections to organized crime associates. Other arrests are expected, the official said.

The referee had a gambling problem, according to the official, and was approached by low-level mob associates through an acquaintance.

The investigation first was reported Friday by the New York Post.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Uh oh...NBA ref betting on games.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
I reeeeallly want to know which ref (or refs) are involved.   I say refs because even if only one was initially involved you have to think the other two who work with him/her suspected something.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 11:46:30 AM »
Dick n Dirk confirmed. ;)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:52:25 AM »
That would explain Joey Crawford tossing Duncan in the Mavs game last year. 

:D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 12:18:27 PM »

Holy cow, could you imagine if that was the case!!!  I'm pretty sure the big money is made in the playoffs because that would explain the Amare and Diaw suspension in the 2nd round this year.  ;)
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 12:44:13 PM »

Holy cow, could you imagine if that was the case!!!  I'm pretty sure the big money is made in the playoffs because that would explain the Amare and Diaw suspension in the 2nd round this year.  ;)
Yes WOW the 400lb monster that pushed Amare and Diaw out onto the court was not Pixar or a figment of your imagination, it was real.  Very real.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:56:09 PM »
My guess is that the ref involved is not a long term NBA ref, but some one with 6 or fewer years in the league.  I have no doubt that the NBA follows referee gambling with NBA security very closely.  If Bavetta, Crawford, Nies, Javie, Salvatore etc had gambling issues it would have been ferretted years ago.  The younger officials though that is a different deal.  Takes time for the NBA to discover this kind of thing out.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 03:13:34 PM »
Seeds of doubt
Regardless of outcome, ref investigation hurts NBA
Posted: Friday July 20, 2007 2:43PM; Updated: Friday July 20, 2007 3:51PM

David Stern may face one of the most difficult periods of his eventful tenure as commissioner.
In his 23 years as NBA commissioner, David Stern has navigated the league through many perilous events: Drug scandals. Labor unrest. Brawls. Now, Stern is facing a another crisis of possibly epic proportions.

Friday's news that the FBI is investigating a veteran NBA ref for possibly betting on games as part of a Mafia-led gambling ring is a PR nightmare and a potentially devastating blow for the league.

As one NBA head coach said Friday: "Stern has talked so much about the credibility of his officiating. That's why they don't release information on [referees'] fines or suspensions. Now, he's got this."

It's still way too early to know what kind of mess Stern is dealing with here. The ref might turn out to be innocent. Maybe he bet on games in which he didn't work (though early reports indicate otherwise). Maybe he only affected the point spreads, and not the outcomes.

But for Stern, in many ways, it really doesn't matter.

Gambling is poison to a sports league. The mere whiff of it can lead to a stink that will take years to clean. For a league such as the NBA, which has long been the subject of conspiracy theories and WWE comparisons, it could be particularly damaging.

How many times have you heard people say, 'Oh, I don't care for the NBA. The superstars get all the calls,' or 'The league wants to see LeBron or Shaq or a team from the larger market make it to the Finals,' or even, 'Gee, it's amazing how often a late, meaningless basket or free throw puts a team over or under the spread"?

Fair? Of course not. The NBA has had several small-market teams in the Finals in recent years, including the four-time champion Spurs, while big-city clubs in L.A., New York and Boston wallow in mediocrity.

But perceptions can be difficult to shake, and the NBA definitely has a perception problem among a certain segment of the sporting public.

The fact that a referee might be involved only adds to the headache. Even if fans believe the NBA office wouldn't ever be so stupid to risk their entire business by tinkering with the integrity of the game, they might not be so trusting of an official. Bobby Knight once made news by declaring that if the NCAA wanted to really look into cheating they should look at the refs, since they were the ones able to control things. Now it appears the General's take might have been sadly on the mark.

"The minute they name the referee, every player is going to try to remember their games that he worked," said Minnesota Timberwolves forward, and union rep, Mark Madsen. "If there were any close games or late calls, players are definitely going to think about that. This is bad.

"We all know how closely the league monitors the referees," he added. "From a player's standpoint, we respect the refs. I never would have believed that this would happen. It's tragic. I never thought I'd be hearing this in 100 years, about any official in any sport.

"I considered this to be a thing of the past. There's so much education about it, to the players, to the teams. When I played in the Final Four, they sat us down with an FBI agent. They told us not to say anything even about injuries, except to team [members], because that sort of thing would show up on Las Vegas sports books."

Stern can only hope these reports prove to be inaccurate or overblown, and the ref in question gets cleared. If not, the NBA could be facing a PR hit that will make the infamous Pacers-Pistons brawl seem trivial.

"Even though it might be only one guy, it doesn't matter," the NBA coach said. "If you're a fan, you're going to walk out after a game wondering."

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »
Crisis of character
Gambling scandal cuts to heart of league's integrity
Posted: Friday July 20, 2007 7:04PM; Updated: Friday July 20, 2007 9:39PM

Tim Donaghy was a senior referee working the infamous Palace brawl in November '04.

Note: Additional reporting by Ian Thomsen, Steve Aschburner and Chris Mannix

LAS VEGAS -- Kobe Bryant has lost 15 pounds and is moving like a cobra. LeBron James is excited to be here. Everyone is waving the red, white and blue out here in good ol' Sin City on Friday afternoon, as 17 NBA players got together for a summer practice session prior to the Olympic qualifying tournament next month.

And the NBA is facing possibly its worst crisis in history.

"I never would have believed that this would happen," says Mark Madsen, the player representative of the Minnesota Timberwolves. "It's tragic. I never thought I'd be hearing this in 100 years, about any official in any sport."

But it has happened. Sometime next week, referee Tim Donaghy, lowly regarded as a whistle-blower in some circles but qualified enough (in the NBA's view) to work postseason games, will reportedly surrender to the FBI to face charges that he conspired to make calls that would affect the point spread of games. Donaghy, 40, a 13-year veteran who officiated five playoff games in 2007, allegedly had a gambling problem that landed him in financial difficulty, according to the New York Post, which broke the Donaghy story on its front pages on Friday. Said one league source with ties to Philadelphia (Donaghy is one of four NBA refs who graduated from Philadelphia's Cardinal O'Hara High School and he still lives in the Quaker City suburbs): "When I heard that a referee was in trouble with gambling, I knew right away it was Donaghy."

Donaghy, who was on duty the night of the infamous Nov. 19, 2004 brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills, has made no comment. NBA officials have been similarly close-mouthed, saying that the FBI has asked them not to speak. Calls to half a dozen referees went unreturned.

But when Commissioner David Stern does talk, he will have to answer this: If others knew that Donaghy was a gambler, why didn't the NBA?

In a bit of irony that is no doubt souring Stern's innards, the story broke as the NBA was working out its star-spangled troops in Las Vegas, which is also the site of the Olympic qualifier. Years ago, Stern looked upon Vegas as a modern-day Gomorrah -- best left ignored because of its ties to gambling. That has changed. Though Stern still expresses reservations about a Vegas-based NBA franchise, the 2007 All-Star Game was staged here, and now that is followed by the Olympic event, which USA Basketball, headed by former Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo, lobbied for. One of the league's most prominent ownership teams, the Sacramento Kings' Maloof brothers, Gavin and Joseph, own a Vegas hotel (the Palms) where players and coaches stayed during All-Star Weekend.

Beyond the issue of the ref's alleged gambling, and whether or not the NBA knew about it, the baby-faced Donaghy is no stranger to trouble. In January, 2005, his next-door neighbors in Chester County sued him for harassment and invasion of privacy for a pattern of discord that had reportedly gone on for several years. Peter and Lisa Mansueto claimed that Donaghy vandalized their property and stalked them, even to the point of following Mrs. Mansueto around Radley Run Country Club, where Donaghy and the Mansuetos were members. After an internal investigation, Donaghy was suspended from Radley Run for the summer and early fall of 2004. The suit also alleged that Donaghy set fire to the Mansuetos' tractor and crashed their golf cart into a ravine.

Efforts to reach the Mansuetos to confirmt the disposition of the lawsuit were unsuccessful as of 6 p.m. on Friday. Donaghy has since sold his house and moved to Bradenton, Fla.

Donaghy is the least-regarded of the Cardinal O'Hara foursome, which also includes Joey Crawford, Mike Callahan and Ed Malloy. One NBA coach called him "absolutely the worst referee in the league" but others were kinder. "I'd put him about in the middle," said another coach, requesting anonymity. "Then again, it's a large and undistinguished middle."

Donaghy's competence, or lack thereof, doesn't prove or disprove that he was making crooked calls. But now, as Madsen says, "Every player is going to try to remember their games that he worked. If there were any close games or late calls, players are definitely going to think about that. This is bad."

Though it was obscured by the subsequent riot in the stands between members of the Indiana Pacers and Pistons fans, Donaghy's work on Nov. 19 at the Palace would've earned him no commendation from the league office. He and Ronnie Garretson, the two senior officials, did little to defuse the situation after Detroit's Ben Wallace threw a punch at Indiana's Ron Artest. Artest then went and sprawled on the scorer's table, after which a cup of beer was tossed at him after which all hell broke loose.

Donaghy was also on the crew that worked a game in Sacramento on the April 2004 night that Shaquille O'Neal (then of the Los Angeles Lakers) claimed the outcome was "predetermined" after a 102-85 skunking by the Kings. Then again, Vlade Divac, an inventive flopper then playing for the Kings, always brought out Shaq's angry side.

In January 2003, Donaghy and Rasheed Wallace, then with the Portland Trail Blazers, got into a postgame shouting match on the loading dock of the Rose Garden in Portland. Wallace had been upset with some of Donaghy's calls during the game. Again, that proves nothing since at one time or another 'Sheed, now a Detroit Piston, is upset with everyone's calls. But officials are not supposed to get into offcourt shouting matches with players.

Donaghy, who is about 5-foot-7, looks like a junior-high kid staring up at the players he officiates. He does not have the bulldog demeanor of a Crawford (no one does), but a former friend of his said he was highly aggressive. "Tim was an unbelievable athlete, a hard-driving kid, very determined," said Scott Newman, the editorial sales director for Bloomberg North America, who grew up playing basketball in Philly with Donaghy. "He always wanted to be the best. He was a little guy who got the most out of what he had. He was very passionate about what he did."

That's one way to put it. The league source close to Philly put it this way: "He's the kind of guy who is always in fights. When he was a kid, you'd see him throwing rocks at cars. He's just an asshole. No one likes the guy. He's always in fights on the golf course, that kind of thing. He's a very antagonistic guy. When you have too many enemies, one of them comes back to bite you.''

Obviously, this scandal isn't just about something coming back at Donaghy. It cuts to the heart of a league that struggles with public perception even in the best of times.

"Even though it might be only one guy, it doesn't matter," said an NBA coach. "If you're a fan, you're going to walk out after a game wondering."

Questions about point spreads are prevalent among casual fans even though, within the NBA, the subject doesn't come up all that much. I can attest to that --I just don't hear much conversation about it. (Then again, I'm not a gambling man.) "Things happen too fast in this league to worry about whether you're up two points or 10 points," said one NBA coach. "I don't know how one referee blowing one whistle could have that big of an impact."

But don't think gamblers aren't aware of who's wearing the striped shirt. A Web site known as COVERS.com tabulates how individual refs perform vis-à-vis the over-under in every game. In case you're interested -- and now you are -- Tim Donaghy finished third for the 2006-07 season.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 10:19:28 PM »
Can I say it's not that suprising?  Dick Bavetta's booklie in New York is really slick.  That is why we had not heard about this sooner.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
As if the Suns-Spurs series wasn't tainted enough, good 'ole Adrian trudges up a Donaghy game in the series this year. 

What kind of consequences are down the line for the league on something like this guys.  I mean does the game change as we know it?  Will there be an electronic review or a coach's challenge.  Will Ref's be quarantined or not told of their itinerary.  This might get ridiculous.

===============================================================================
Commissioner's culpability

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
July 22, 2007

LAS VEGAS – So the commissioner comes down out of his Olympic Tower office on Monday for a midtown Manhattan press conference where assuredly he'll purse his lips, raise his index finger and insist how he'll make sure this Tim Donaghy nightmare never, ever happens again to the National Basketball Association.

Only, the more that comes out on Donaghy's past, on his spiral into an FBI mafia sting, the more you wonder about the competence of the commissioner's league to police anything. Here's the thing: If the NBA once did bring Donaghy to New York with concerns about his gambling, as the ref's hometown Philadelphia Inquirer reported, then Stern and his staff were enablers in an apparent rogue ref becoming vulnerable to the mob. The Inquirer's unnamed source says that the league had no reason to believe he was betting on basketball games or point shaving, so they let him return to work.

To think that the league would give a pass to a referee immersed in gambling is beyond belief – never mind one with the violent and irrational behavior that is now surfacing about Donaghy. Even if the league's collective bargaining agreement protected his job under these circumstances, you'd have to believe the NBA would've gone on full alert to monitor Donaghy's activities.

And even if the league had no idea about any of this, if it never called him in, how could some friends and associates be so aware of his gambling problems but miss the tentacles of NBA security? Before Stern starts spinning his story on Monday, he needs to be prepared to tell everyone what the league knew about Donaghy's life, his activities, and when it knew it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Sooner than later, Stern and his underlings need to be accountable for this scandal. Until the FBI makes its arrests, until the Feds lay out the case against Donaghy and his mob co-conspirators, no one can be sure that he wasn't blowing a dirty whistle in Game 3 of the Suns-Spurs series in the Western Conference semifinals. Go back to that game on May 12, see Donaghy's work and your stomach sinks. Perhaps the Feds know precisely which of the apparent 10 to 20 games were tainted across these past two seasons, or perhaps, they're counting on Donaghy and the mob to give them up.

Until further notice, the de facto championship series between San Antonio and Phoenix is tantamount to tainted.

Donaghy made one of the worst calls of the playoffs (a phantom, delayed foul on Manu Ginobili in a key late third-quarter run that awarded the Spurs three free throws), and he was part of an officiating crew that sent Suns star Amare Stoudemire to the bench with foul trouble, leaving him available for only 21 minutes in the game. Beyond that, there were plenty of missed calls, and dubious whistles. That game hangs over the league like an anvil now.

San Antonio was giving four points on the betting line and won 108-101. Those three Ginobili free throws pushed the Spurs to a six-point lead late in the third, and Phoenix never recovered. As it turns out, that is the last game Donaghy will ever officiate in the NBA.

Looking back, you wonder how that end didn't come sooner for Donaghy. But then again, the league always seemed to be cutting breaks to its refs, forever fostering a sense of entitlement. One of Michael Jordan's women targeted official Eddie Rush as the matchmaker who introduced her to him. Bob Delaney had real-life NBA stars appearing at his summer referees academy in Florida, a favor that you would think a player would realistically figure could curry him favor later.

So yes, when Donaghy saw that he could survive charges of terrorizing neighbors and chasing a mailman down the street in his car while making wild threats, he probably started out figuring that a few bets on the golf course with buddies, and then, a few on, say, football games, couldn't come back to hurt him. Maybe the league called him on that gambling, and still, he survived again.

Listen, people aren't perfect. They're flawed. They make mistakes. No one is asking an official to live an unblemished existence. But is it too much to ask that they don't put themselves in positions where there could be the appearance of impropriety?

Perhaps the talent pool of quality officials made the league less likely to cast those considered competent aside. "If the NBA was charted on the refs it's bringing into the league, you'd see a bunch of two-star-rated recruits," an NBA coach told me last season. "I haven't seen many blue chippers coming through the door. If they were a college program, they'd get fired for bringing in all these bad classes."

For the longest time, the NBA had suffered crises of credibility with its officials. Much of the public, including people within the league, believed the games were controlled on some levels, that officials on the floor carried out agendas beyond making the right calls. The refs have been seen as league pawns so that big-market teams could stay alive in the playoffs for television purposes, or used to keep superstars on the floor. There have long been conspiracy theories and that's so much of the reason the NBA will struggle to overcome this scandal. Truth be told, everyone wanted to believe there was a Tim Donaghy out there.

And always, Stern delivered a smug dismissal, challenging you to bring him proof. Those are wild accusations, he would say. Bring me evidence. Now, Stern has lost the moral authority to talk that way ever again. His arrogance about the league's officials always bothered people, and now, it comes back to haunt him.

This isn't the time for defiance out of the commissioner on Monday in New York, nor cocksure promises about the future that he can't keep anyway. For the good of the league now, and maybe for his own ultimate survival, he needs to deliver a humbled concession that the NBA could've done more to stop Tim Donaghy. He's the CEO, the emperor of the sport. Above all else, Stern needs to say that, "This one's on me."
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 10:56:04 AM »
*The Feds* will get to the bottom of this.
Like they did/are doing with Barroid Bonds and the steroid boys.
Like they issued visas and DLs to the 9/11 hijackers.

Donaghy will be a sacraficial lamb and get some slap on the wrist while crappy reffing continues on.  Stern will potificate how a great crisis was averted and all will return to normal.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 11:04:59 AM »
*The Feds* will get to the bottom of this.
Like they did/are doing with Barroid Bonds and the steroid boys.
Like they issued visas and DLs to the 9/11 hijackers.

The Sp*rs better hope the Feds take it as likely as they did with the other scandals.  PHX is going to be pissed, they were robbed!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=expertexplainsNBAbets

Some takes by alleged betting "expert".
He claims to have gone 15-0-2 in SuperBowls.