Author Topic: Bob Horry officially a Spur for 08  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry officially a Spur for 08
« on: July 01, 2007, 02:17:18 PM »
Along with Bowen.  Both of their contracts auto-renewed on July 1.
Bob going for a Celtlike 8 rings and 3rd with the Spurs.
Surely Bob is going to go into the HOF as a Spur.

Spurs also said looking to reup Vaughn, Bonner and Fabs.  If so, would only leave one roster spot open.  Appears at this point that Louis Scola is just trade bait.  I think a Scola for Bynum deal might be looked at.  As far as Fabs for Bynum, Fabs strong championship performance has nixed any of that talk.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bob Horry officially a Spur for 08
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:22:49 PM »
That is weird.  I thought the Spurs goal was to get a bit more athletic in the off-season.  If they resign everyone from last year's squad they are not going to get more athletic or young.  Don't get me wrong, it makes perfect sense to stay with a squad who won the championship, just saying that is what I heard they wanted to get younger.  One spot left on the roster does not help them get younger.

Vaughn would be the only youthful player they would be re-signing.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
That is weird.  I thought the Spurs goal was to get a bit more athletic in the off-season.  If they resign everyone from last year's squad they are not going to get more athletic or young.  Don't get me wrong, it makes perfect sense to stay with a squad who won the championship, just saying that is what I heard they wanted to get younger.  One spot left on the roster does not help them get younger.

Appears they are saving that for summer 2008 when they will have a crap load of cap space.
Who knows, still a lot of time left.  I don't care if they milk the veterans one more year, limit their on court reg season time and only win 50-55 games as long as they flip the switch for the playoffs.

I think one move they would like to make is get Nocioni from the Bulls.  Yes he may be a bit "undersized" at 6'7" for a SF but he has all the other Spurslike attributes.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:23:52 PM »

Appears they are saving that for summer 2008 when they will have a crap load of cap space.
Who knows, still a lot of time left.  I don't care if they milk the veterans one more year, limit their on court reg season time and only win 50-55 games as long as they flip the switch for the playoffs.

I think one move they would like to make is get Nocioni from the Bulls.  Yes he may be a bit "undersized" at 6'7" for a SF but he has all the other Spurslike attributes.

I don't know if milking players in their mid (and some late) 30s is going to make repeating any easier.   You are right it is still very early, just commenting on all this news.  They are pretty much bringing back the entire team for next season.  I don't disagree with bringing back most of the team but everyone else is improving.  With talk of the Suns actively going after more talent you have to do the same.  The finals was a cake walk but that hasn't been a problem in this league for almost a decade now....it's getting out of the Western Conference.

Nocioni is a shooter and not much of anything else.  He can't move his feet well enough on the defensive end IMO.    I don't really see him fitting into the team game plan very much.  With Bowen and Finley getting even older they need to find a player more along those lines to fill in what they could be losing with another year under their belts.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:25:37 PM by westkoast »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 01:44:53 PM »
Most of the Spurs roster was set to return.  They have...after Fabs opted out...only 4 FA.  Horry & Bowen had partially guaranteed contracts that became fully gauranteed on July 1.  The Spurs would have had to waive them to save some money but it wouldn't have been enough to free up any cap space.

Here is the best summary of the Spurs offseason approach...

The NBA's free-agent market opened today, and, surprisingly enough, Spurs officials insisted they didn't hit the snooze button and roll over.
While the Spurs don't figure to be major players in free agency, they will have some work to do. The team hopes to re-sign its top three free agents — Fabricio Oberto, Jacque Vaughn and Matt Bonner — and all three have indicated they would like to return.    

If the Spurs accomplish that goal, they will have 14 players under contract, not including Thursday's second-round pick, Marcus Williams. Teams are limited to carrying 15 once the season begins.

Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry both had their contracts become fully guaranteed today.

The Spurs will still look for ways to enhance their crowded roster and plan to speak with veteran free-agent forward Grant Hill. Hill, who will turn 35 near the start of training camp, hasn't ruled out returning to Orlando, but also has made it clear he would like to play for a championship contender.

Hill averaged 14.4 points, 3.6 rebounds and 30.9 minutes while shooting 51.8 percent in 65 games last season. He has been significantly limited by injuries, playing fewer than 30 games in four of the past six seasons, but likely wouldn't be overworked on a veteran-heavy roster.

Hill is represented by Lon Babby, who also counts Tim Duncan and Bowen among his clients. Hill's longtime shooting coach, Chip Engelland, is on the Spurs' staff.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford made a brief attempt at signing Hill in the summer of 2000 when both he and Duncan were contemplating going to Orlando.

Hill's interest in the Spurs is unclear. The Detroit Pistons, for whom he played for during the first six seasons of his career, and Phoenix Suns will be among his biggest suitors. In a recent interview with ESPN Radio, Hill reportedly said he considered the Suns a better fit for him than the Spurs.

The Spurs have the $5 million midlevel exception available to spend on free agents, but they might not want to use all of it considering their payroll could be bumping up against the luxury-tax threshold if they re-sign Oberto, Vaughn and Bonner.

Teams could begin negotiating with free agents at 11 p.m. Saturday, but can't sign them until July 12.

The Spurs have long had interest in Chicago free-agent forward Andres Nocioni, but likely would need a sign-and-trade deal to land him, and the Bulls appear intent on trying to keep him. Golden State swingman Mickael Pietrus could become another target, but the Warriors have the right to match any offer he receives.

The Spurs could open roster spots if they decide to waive James White and trade Beno Udrih or Jackie Butler. Butler and White, whose contract guarantees him only $300,000 if he is on the roster opening night, will have a chance to prove themselves on the Spurs' summer-league team, which begins play Friday in Las Vegas.

Udrih is due $1.7 million in the final season of his contract, and the Spurs tried to trade him at last season's trade deadline and again during Thursday's draft. The team also has continued to solicit offers for the rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola.

Scola is one of the best players in Europe, but the Spurs won't have room for him if they re-sign Oberto. French forward Ian Mahinmi, the Spurs' first-round pick in 2005, will accompany the summer-league team to Las Vegas and Salt Lake City, but won't play after recently injuring his right shoulder in mini-camp. Unless the Spurs lighten their roster, he, too, could be facing another season in Europe.

Williams is expected to play in Las Vegas. But even if the Spurs sign him just to send him to Austin to play in the developmental league, he will count against one of their 15 roster spots. Melvin Ely, the Spurs' lone remaining free agent, is expected to sign elsewhere.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jludden@express-news.net

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »
Fabs and Vaughn are in.  Vaughn at 2 yrs and $2.5M (veteran's minimum).
Fabs details coming soon.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »

Fabs is not going to get a huge contract so don't hold your breath.  He's going to be 33 years old this year.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 11:17:01 AM »

Fabs is not going to get a huge contract so don't hold your breath.  He's going to be 33 years old this year.

Supposedly (local paper) Fabs will sign a 3 year deal.  IMO the 3rd year will be a team option (see Bowen & Horry this year) and the deal will start above the $2.5 mil he would have gotten but will probably be for less than $4 mil.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:42:51 AM »

Supposedly (local paper) Fabs will sign a 3 year deal.  IMO the 3rd year will be a team option (see Bowen & Horry this year) and the deal will start above the $2.5 mil he would have gotten but will probably be for less than $4 mil.

Not a bad deal.  It's not like he's had 8-9 years of NBA miles on him.  Although I'd be curious to see what his role would be at 35-36.  Probably something along the lines of Horry's current role.

Are the Spurs really going after Petrius really hard?  Or is he a name that has been somewhat tossed out there?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »
Are the Spurs really going after Petrius really hard?  Or is he a name that has been somewhat tossed out there?

Problem with reports on the Spurs is that very seldom are they even close.  Pop, Buford and staff are very good at keeping their intentions secret.  Having said that the few names (reasonable - no Rashard, etc) I have heard them looking at are:

Matt Carroll from the Bobcats
Mo Pete from the Raptors
Pietrus
Grant Hill
Nocioni - reports are that Paxton is a fan of Scola

Again most of this is from national wire reports...very little is reported locally as the Spurs play their cards very close to the vest.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »
Spurs are basically done with offseason...

San Antonio Express-News

Three days into the NBA's free-agency period, the Spurs have accomplished their goal of keeping their roster virtually intact.

The Spurs reached agreement Tuesday with forward Matt Bonner, the last of the three free agents they hoped to re-sign, on a three-year contract worth about $9 million.

"Matt always wanted to stay with the Spurs, so he's very excited to be coming back," said Kenny Grant, Bonner's agent.

The Spurs also have reached agreements with center Fabricio Oberto (three years, $10.5 million) and Jacque Vaughn (two years, $2.5 million). Free agents can't sign contracts until July 11.

The agreements mean the Spurs will have 14 of the 15 members from last season's team under contract. Free-agent forward Melvin Ely is expected to sign with another team.

- Johnny Ludden
-Moody Blues