Author Topic: Opinions on the draft  (Read 2990 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Opinions on the draft
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
So they are going into a little bit more detail about this chinese player the Lakers drafted.  They are calling him the Chinese Magic Johnson.  While I died laughing at the thought of trying to hype up a player taken 10th in the second round by naming him after one of the 10 greatest players in the history of the game, it did make me scratch my head.  If he is so awesome why did they take that GT point guard in the first round?  What does that mean for Jordan Farmar and why did they give up on Chauncey Billups?  IMO he is one of the very last people they can pull a trade for that fills a major gap in their starting line up.  None of the 3 PGs they have or drafted are anywhere near starting PGs in this league.  Unless Jordan Farmar has been working his rear end off I don't see him being a starting PG in this league to match up with guys like TP, Paul, Hughes, Davis, D-Williams, etc

What makes this even more confusing is the fact that LA is one of the places on Fishers list.  I understand he would obviously have a role on the bench but how many damn PGs do you need?  Mitch Kupchek is a moron.  Seriously.  "Oh we are lacking in the PG dept, let's spend 2 picks and a few roster spots on getting 4'
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 05:40:51 PM »
Well the word is that the Blazers have another deal in the works, but nothing has happened as of yet, so I am going to assume that nothing more is forthcoming.  So given that I will give my take on the Blazers draft.

Oden #1 - what can you say.  He will be an excellent NBA player.

Trading Zach, Fred Jones, and Dan Dickau for Steve Francis, Channing Frye, and a trade exemption.  I am somewhat perplexed by this, as the word on the street is that we are going to buyout Francis.  It is clear first and foremost that this deal was about signing a FA in 2 years, as LaFrentz, Francis, and James Jones will  come off the books in 2 years, and the Blazers will only have about $35 million committed at that point.  That will give them the cap space to sign a FA for a max level deal.  So we are trading Zach for Frye and a FA to be determined in 2 years.  I can handle that, but I am still disappointed that we didn't get more for Zach now.
I like Frye, and I think he will be a good fit, and help us.  It is tough to get solid bigs so when you have that chance take it.  It looks like the market for Zach was not all that we hoped, and that we would have had to take on marginal contracts that don't allow us any cap flexability or for substantially lesser talent.  Players like Richard Jefferson were not in the cards.  So getting a player like Frye, and the opportunity to sign a player you really like isn't all that bad.  We are still a couple of years from getting deep in the playoffs anyway, so no reason to take on a bad contract just to be out of the playoffs early or not to make the playoffs at all.
As far as the Knicks, how they see getting Zach and Curry to be effective together is hard to understand.  They will have the worst interior defense in the league.  They will have the worst shot blocking team in the league.  They are not loaded with great perimeter defenders anyway, so expect teams to challenge Curry and Zach on D, and get to the rim.  No risk of a shot block, and a great opportunity to get an easy basket, or get the offensive basis of the Knick in foul trouble right away.

Rudy Fernandez and James Jones from Phoenix for $3 million and a trade exemption.  As I sad this was the second part of the Zach trade.  James Jones is a decent player, and he will provide the Blazers with something they have lacked for a number of years, a shooter who can consistently make the 3.  I like his addition, though he is limited in what he can do.
I really like the other player, Rudy Fernandez though.  He won't come over for at least another year, but he has been a very solid player in the second best league in the world, and he is only 22.  He is a legit NBA player.  Long term there will be a battle between him and Martell Webster, and I think Webster will lose.  Fernandez is a much more complete player, and if not for his buyout issues would have been a lottery pick.  Fernandez is only 18 months older, but has a much better track record of success.

$1 mill to $2 mill and Derrick Byers to Philly for Petteri Koponen.  I am somewhat ambivalent about this deal.  I knew the Blazers were very high on Koponen, and fully expected them to make a deal to get him in a trade.  I know nothing about him, other than what I have read.  He is only 19, so I expect to remain in Europe next year.  From what I have read he has a lot to like about him, excellent in the open court.  We will see.  Pritchard's approach is if you want a guy go get him, so obviously that is what they did.  We will see if their opinion is justified.

In the second round we got Josh McRoberts and Taurean Green.  I really like both moves, as I think both have a shot at making it, and it is rare for second rounders to make it.  All the statistical analysis I have seen, indicates McRiberts will contribute in the NBA.  Green will probably need a year or 2 in NBADL, but often good PG need a few years of seasoning before they get it.

Rick or treat indicated that he thought the pick of Thaddeus Young was an indication that Korver was on his way out.  Portland and Philly had numerous discussions regarding Korver, so perhaps there is something there.  Pritchard has said a deal still awaits on an accomplished NBA SF.  I wouldn't describe James Jones as accomplished, maybe others would, but perhaps another deal is in the works.  Korver is clearly accomplished.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 08:49:09 PM by ziggy »
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 08:43:19 PM »
No risk of a sh*t block, ...

Uhmmmmm....the Colorado incident is ancient history...why don't you just drop it already.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 08:50:04 PM »
No risk of a shit block, ...

Uhmmmmm....the Colorado incident is ancient history...why don't you just drop it already.

oops, I spell almost as well as you.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 02:25:50 PM »
Zig why was Jefferson not in the cards?
Or is that unknown and only info available is talking head media speculation?
Why not wait and dangle Randolph, into the season if neccessary?
I'm speculating Randolph is a hardcore jailblazer to the extent that the Blazers FO wanted him going no where near Oden, even for 2 weeks.  Even for 2 days, even for 2 hours.  To the point to where blowing 34 million on Francis was worth it to them.  While seems like it aint gonna happen, i still think it would be a hoot if Francis copped a team attitude and used his athleticism to help the Blazers.

I would think Jefferson would jump at chance to join Blazers.  Then again i don't care for his game.

Sidepoint i see where Ellsbury "broke out" with a 2-2 and 2 runs in a 4-3 win.  It's been a good sniff all in all.

Offline ziggy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 05:15:10 PM »
Zig why was Jefferson not in the cards?
Or is that unknown and only info available is talking head media speculation?
Why not wait and dangle Randolph, into the season if neccessary?
I'm speculating Randolph is a hardcore jailblazer to the extent that the Blazers FO wanted him going no where near Oden, even for 2 weeks.  Even for 2 days, even for 2 hours.  To the point to where blowing 34 million on Francis was worth it to them.  While seems like it aint gonna happen, i still think it would be a hoot if Francis copped a team attitude and used his athleticism to help the Blazers.

I would think Jefferson would jump at chance to join Blazers.  Then again i don't care for his game.

Sidepoint i see where Ellsbury "broke out" with a 2-2 and 2 runs in a 4-3 win.  It's been a good sniff all in all.

Well Rod Thorn said he was going to talk to PDX, but I think they had been talking and NJ wanted to give up a lot less than Richard Jefferson and wanted him at a minimum.  Zach was due something like $61.3 million for 4 years or $15.3 million per.  Jefferson was due $54.6 for 4, or 13,650,000 per.  Don't think NJ was interested in taking on the much salary, considering that they were giving up a good player in Jefferson.

I wouldn't be averse to us keeping Francis, but if we do so we have to move Jarrett Jack, and if we do that then we have to really improve the SF position.  I don't believe we can do all that.

As far as Jacoby he was hitting .375 when he was sent back down, with a .444 OBP, and didn't K once.  Nice little start to his career, but obviously things will change as time goes on, and he get through the league a second and 3rd time.  He was leading all of professional baseball in hitting early on when he was hitting .472 at AA, but he is only hitting .275 in AAA.
Scoring from second on a WP, shows just how fast he really is.  The RSox haven't had a player with his speed in a very long time.

AA Mil