Author Topic: Sports Illustrated ranks the GMs  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Sports Illustrated ranks the GMs
« on: June 28, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »
Here is the top five and a few other favorites.  There is a pluses, minuses and summary for each GM. 

1.  R.C. Buford, San Antonio Spurs
2.  Donnie Nelson, Dallas Mavericks
3.  Joe Dumars, Detroit Pistons
4.  Bryan Colangelo, Toronto Raptors
5.  John Paxson, Chicago Bulls

Other notables…

10.  Kevin O'Connor, Utah Jazz
19.  Elgin Baylor, Los Angeles Clippers
23.  Mitch Kupchak, Los Angeles Lakers
25.  Isiah Thomas, New York Knicks
26.  Billy King, Philadelphia 76ers
30.  Kevin McHale, Minneosta Timberwolves

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/kelly_dwyer/06/25/gm.rankings/index.html
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sports Illustrated ranks the GMs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:05:29 PM »
I thought Popavich was the GM?  Or at least the GM when they put together the core lineup of players.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »
Here is the top five and a few other favorites.  There is a pluses, minuses and summary for each GM. 

1.  R.C. Buford, San Antonio Spurs
2.  Donnie Nelson, Dallas Mavericks
3.  Joe Dumars, Detroit Pistons
4.  Bryan Colangelo, Toronto Raptors
5.  John Paxson, Chicago Bulls

Other notables…

10.  Kevin O'Connor, Utah Jazz
19.  Elgin Baylor, Los Angeles Clippers
23.  Mitch Kupchak, Los Angeles Lakers
25.  Isiah Thomas, New York Knicks
26.  Billy King, Philadelphia 76ers
30.  Kevin McHale, Minneosta Timberwolves

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/kelly_dwyer/06/25/gm.rankings/index.html

And Forbes had McHale #1.  The Forbes article was obviously the work of some Minnesota based "cow orkers".
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 10:59:30 PM »
I thought Popavich was the GM?  Or at least the GM when they put together the core lineup of players.
  Explains in part your mistaken Popavich worship.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:30:53 AM »

Pop was "officially" the GM (and coach and president) and Buford was his assistant.  Pop still holds the title of President of Basketball Operations.  And both he & Buford have been a team for years.  They both deserve credit...as well as Pritchard (Blazers), Ferry (Cavs), and Presti (Sonics).  In fact that is something that has TRUE Spurs followers concerned.  The rest of the NBA keeps raiding our front office which has made such great picks.

ADDED:  Buford is known...both inside the organization and thru the NBA...as the one who identified Manu & Parker as draft picks.  In fact the story has been repeatedly told in SA of how Pop originally thought Parker was too soft and couldn't take contact.  Buford convinced Pop to bring Tony in for a second workout and ...as they say...the rest is history.  Shortly after that Pop promoted Buford to GM to keep him from going to another team.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:54:34 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:56:15 AM »

Pop was "officially" the GM (and coach and president) and Buford was his assistant.  Pop still holds the title of President of Basketball Operations.  And both he & Buford have been a team for years.  They both deserve credit...as well as Pritchard (Blazers), Ferry (Cavs), and Presti (Sonics).  In fact that is something that has TRUE Spurs followers concerned.  The rest of the NBA keeps raiding our front office which has made such great picks.

ADDED:  Buford is known...both inside the organization and thru the NBA...as the one who identified Manu & Parker as draft picks.  In fact the story has been repeatedly told in SA of how Pop originally thought Parker was too soft and couldn't take contact.  Buford convinced Pop to bring Tony in for a second workout and ...as they say...the rest is history.  Shortly after that Pop promoted Buford to GM to keep him from going to another team.
  I'm glad you went to Wikopedia and ADDED cause you were gonna stick with paragraph 1, weren't ya? :D  Also you and Pop accepted the 1997 lotto balls result and made the monumental skillful extremely difficult decision to say "yes" to drafting Tim Duncan over Keith Van Horn.  Thus you have some TRUTH as to Pops role in acquiring The Big 3. :D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »

I'm glad you went to Wikopedia and ADDED cause you were gonna stick with paragraph 1, weren't ya? :D  Also you and Pop accepted the 1997 lotto balls result and made the monumental skillful extremely difficult decision to say "yes" to drafting Tim Duncan over Keith Van Horn.  Thus you have some TRUTH as to Pops role in acquiring The Big 3. :D

NO!  Technically Pop was the GM during those picks.  That was his title.  Buford was the assistant.  And I don't have to go look it up because I ACTUALLY follow the Spurs.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 11:09:55 AM »
Reality, I'll also add this since you like research...from NBA.com's profile of Popovich

named the Spurs executive vice president of basketball operations/general manager on May 31, 1994 … served as GM for eight full seasons before turning the job over to R.C. Buford on July 1, 2002 …

So I guess during the 2001 draft (Parker) and the 1999 draft (Manu) technically Pop was GM.  Try again son.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »
I never questioned if he was "technically" the GM during those seasons Father.
I also don't wash my arms 18 inches up to the elbow.
In fact the story has been repeatedly told in SA of how Pop originally thought Parker was too soft and couldn't take contact.  Buford convinced Pop to bring Tony in for a second workout and ...as they say...the rest is history.
  Wanna know if Pop had to be talked out of Keith Van Horn??

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »
I never questioned if he was "technically" the GM during those seasons Father.
I also don't wash my arms 18 inches up to the elbow.
In fact the story has been repeatedly told in SA of how Pop originally thought Parker was too soft and couldn't take contact.  Buford convinced Pop to bring Tony in for a second workout and ...as they say...the rest is history.
  Wanna know if Pop had to be talked out of Keith Van Horn??

No genius...he had to be convinced to take a second look at an 18 year old point guard from France that had nothing but a little bit of international experience.  Pop as the GM was not impressed by Parker's initial workout.  Spurs could have ended up with someone like Tinsley instead.  Wonder how many of those 3 titles in the past 5 years would still be in SA with Tinsley.  Think about that.

Asking stupid questions about Duncan vs Van Horn tends to only reinforce your reputation here.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »
No genius...he had to be convinced to take a second look at an 18 year old point guard from France that had nothing but a little bit of international experience.  Pop as the GM was not impressed by Parker's initial workout.  Spurs could have ended up with someone like Tinsley instead.  Wonder how many of those 3 titles in the past 5 years would still be in SA with Tinsley.  Think about that.
I'll study it.  With the same fervor i study the Sayings of W.O.W. and "westkoasts writings (taggings) at the Newport Beach Wall."
Asking stupid questions about Duncan vs Van Horn tends to only reinforce your reputation here.
  As much as your being unable to answer them. ;D ;D
Couple more for you.
1. What ever happened to 1999s #1 Spurs pick Leon Smith? 
2.  What role did Pop play in Scola being selected?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 12:20:51 PM »
  As much as your being unable to answer them. ;D ;D
Couple more for you.
1. What ever happened to 1999s #1 Spurs pick Leon Smith? 
2.  What role did Pop play in Scola being selected?

1) Spurs immediately (draft day) traded him to Dallas for rights to Giricek and a 2000 2nd rounder.

2) Same as he has in every draft since 1994.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 12:43:39 PM »
1) Spurs immediately (draft day) traded him to Dallas for rights to Giricek and a 2000 2nd rounder.
  correct.  Sadly Smith attempted suicide after his 1st Mavs season.  Has since recovered, went on to play for the Hawks and a bit for Seattle.  Has had some great CBA seasons including an 18 pt 15 rebound season but is currently not invited to any NBA camps.

Which is to say not much, or overuled as with the Big 3? :D :D  That's basically correct.  The scout assigned to check out Scolas contract with Tau failed to do due diligence and was subsequently let go by the Spurs. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 01:32:16 PM »
  Which is to say not much, or overuled as with the Big 3? :D :D   That's basically correct.  The scout assigned to check out Scolas contract with Tau failed to do due diligence and was subsequently let go by the Spurs. 

Do you even believe half the crap you type or do you enjoy wasting bandwidth for the fun of it?  To this day Pop has more say in who is drafted, signed, traded, released or benched than any other individual in the Spurs organization except the owner.  Buford is GM by title...Pop is his BOSS!  Pop has final say - only person who can override Pop's decisions is Holt.

Try to take the time to actually learn about the team you "follow" instead of using google & wikipedia for your info.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 02:14:55 PM »
  Which is to say not much, or overuled as with the Big 3? :D :D   That's basically correct.  The scout assigned to check out Scolas contract with Tau failed to do due diligence and was subsequently let go by the Spurs. 

Do you even believe half the crap you type or do you enjoy wasting bandwidth for the fun of it?  To this day Pop has more say in who is drafted, signed, traded, released or benched than any other individual in the Spurs organization except the owner.  Buford is GM by title...Pop is his BOSS!  Pop has final say - only person who can override Pop's decisions is Holt.

Try to take the time to actually learn about the team you "follow" instead of using google & wikipedia for your info.
  Do you want to talk to them in person or do you really live in San Antonio?