Author Topic: Was Phil informed of the long term plans?  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Was Phil informed of the long term plans?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 06:00:16 PM »
westkoast,

Phil did not change the system for Micheal Jordan BUT of course he would for Baron Davis.  ::)
No way.  Phil would continue his .500 ball with Kobe and he certainly wouldn't take Baron over Smush. 

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 06:14:59 PM »
westkoast,

Phil did not change the system for Micheal Jordan BUT of course he would for Baron Davis.  ::)
No way.  Phil would continue his .500 ball with Kobe and he certainly wouldn't take Baron over Smush. 

The .500 ball is not exactly the fault of either the triangle or Kobe himself but the injuries to key players (last year)  and the lack of consistency on the defensive end.  Do you watch the way Baron Davis' plays basketball?  He likes to have the ball in his hands and create plays himself.  Inside the triangle plays are created by spacing and movement of players.  Sure Baron Davis could be a better fit *IF* he was able to adjust his game completely.  To me that is a very large IF and not something you can do with players who have played in the league for as long as Gary Payton and Baron Davis have.

How you can be the Spurs biggest fan and continue to act as if offense is the end all be all for every team amazes me.  You should be a Suns or Mavs fan since you feel that way.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »
The best fit for the Lakers would be any guard with decent ball handling skills, solid defense and a consistent outside shot.  The triangle does NOT need a PG, don't know why Reality doesn't understand that.  Davis game is not suited for the triangle, I don't think he would do well in L.A. at all, the triangle is way too restrictive for Davis's talents.  The only way I could see Davis triving in the triangle is if he would to initiate his offense from the post, he's one of the stronger gaurds in the league and has no problem posting up taller guys than him.  Kidd was almost a perfect fit for the Lakers from a PG perspective, with the exception of his outside shooting he's PJ's wet dream for a PG, big, smart and solid defense.  Of course the Lakers take transition baskets when they can get them but unless PJ departs L.A., which is a very real posibility if Buss gives up on the current team and opts for a "showtime" fast break team, the Lakers need a "triangle" guard to fill the PG spot.  Smush sucks at almost all the requirements of a triangle guard playing the PG spot.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 07:49:54 PM »
The best fit for the Lakers would be any guard with decent ball handling skills, solid defense and a consistent outside shot.  The triangle does NOT need a PG, don't know why Reality doesn't understand that.  Davis game is not suited for the triangle, I don't think he would do well in L.A. at all, the triangle is way too restrictive for Davis's talents.  The only way I could see Davis triving in the triangle is if he would to initiate his offense from the post, he's one of the stronger gaurds in the league and has no problem posting up taller guys than him.  Kidd was almost a perfect fit for the Lakers from a PG perspective, with the exception of his outside shooting he's PJ's wet dream for a PG, big, smart and solid defense.  Of course the Lakers take transition baskets when they can get them but unless PJ departs L.A., which is a very real posibility if Buss gives up on the current team and opts for a "showtime" fast break team, the Lakers need a "triangle" guard to fill the PG spot.  Smush sucks at almost all the requirements of a triangle guard playing the PG spot.

Jason Kidd is his wet dream but I think it is because of his defense and smarts moreso then anything else.  His open court ability would not fully get used so I can't see that being a main quality.  However the lack of perimeter defense both by Kobe and Smush really hurt the Lakers.  Kidd would help them out at that spot.  With his ability to create more offense in other players it should allow Kobe to try to play defense for longer then 2 minutes in the 4th quarter when they are already losing.

Honestly, The Lakers need to give up on this idea they are going to build a 'showtime' type team in the next 5 or 10 years.  The players that could help them do that are just not going anywhere.  They would have to land Nash to fill Magic's role, Bynum would literally have to be Kareem Jr, and I can't really think of any forward in the league right now who could be James Worthy.  Maybe Amare but even still I don't know.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »
They would have to land Nash to fill Magic's role, Bynum would literally have to be Kareem Jr, and I can't really think of any forward in the league right now who could be James Worthy.  Maybe Amare but even still I don't know.

Nash or Kidd at the PG, Marion at the 3, Amare/KG at the 4 and JO/TD at the 5.  Looks like there is a team with 3 of the 5 show time players so maybe it would be easier for them to add a Kobe.  :o
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"