Author Topic: Yaowswer gettin schooled by Olajuwon  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Yaowswer gettin schooled by Olajuwon
« on: May 23, 2007, 09:57:14 AM »
More good news for Yao potential appreciaters.
More bad news for you Yao haters. 

In addition to getting ball movement Rick Adleman as coach....
Yao had Olajuwon give him his first one on one 90 minute training session.
Are more to follow?  Oh i hope so.  Yao already feeling the results.

Olajuwon worked with Yao for about 90 minutes, picking apart Yao's post moves and giving him pep talks along the way.

"How do you dominate the game?" Olajuwon asked his attentive protege. "You are hardworking, you have the conditioning, you have the shots. You have everything. Now, you have to dominate."

Olajuwon showed off a few of his old moves, too, dropping in some baseline jumpers and jump hooks as easily as he did 10 years ago.

Yao hopes Olajuwon's killer instinct rubs off on him, too. By the end of their practice, Yao felt like it had.

"The biggest difference between him and me is the mentality," Yao said. "He's got two championship rings. I can hear very strongly from him, 'You are the biggest player on the court. You need to go in and change the game. You need to be dominant.' He repeated that time and time again. I feel a little bit different. I feel his heart."

Olajuwon retired after the 2001-02 season and the Rockets drafted Yao with the first pick a few months later.

Yao has blossomed into one of the league's top centers, averaging 25 points and nine rebounds last season. But he showed in this year's playoffs he still has much to improve, committing 33 turnovers against Utah.

"My average score is up, my average turnovers are also high this year," Yao said. "I need to work on that."

Olajuwon showed Yao how to get into the lane from various spots and score using a single dribble.

"If you get the ball here, they're in trouble," Olajuwon said. "You should score easily."

The two had no more workouts planned, but both seemed eager to schedule another.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yaowswer gettin schooled by Olajuwon
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 10:07:54 AM »
Now all Dream has to do is teach him how to rebound and dominate the defensive end of the court.

Oh, and give him a heart transplant.   :D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »
Now all Dream has to do is teach him how to rebound and dominate the defensive end of the court.

:D :D  My thoughts exactly.

Reality for the 1,000,000 time, his offense is not really a problem.  It is his defense that is more of an issue.   For a guy of his size his defense is very weak.  If Jason Kidd can grab 10-15 rebounds a night in the playoffs then Yao should be able to double that. 

I can only imagine trying to see Yao consistently do 2 and 3 moves just to get an easy bucket like Hakeem use too....he'd be tired by the middle of the 2nd quarter.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 10:50:45 AM »

what makes you think he won't do both?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:59:02 AM »
Reality for the 1,000,000 time, his offense is not really a problem.  It is his defense that is more of an issue.   For a guy of his size his defense is very weak.  If Jason Kidd can grab 10-15 rebounds a night in the playoffs then Yao should be able to double that. 

I can only imagine trying to see Yao consistently do 2 and 3 moves just to get an easy bucket like Hakeem use too....he'd be tired by the middle of the 2nd quarter.
<default answer> offense and defense combined wins championships.  Hakeem will work with Yao on both.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
<default answer> offense and defense combined wins championships.  Hakeem will work with Yao on both.

And Kareem worked with the Kandiman...we all know how well that worked out.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »

Seriously if working out with a great at your position is all that matters then the Lakers would be dumb for giving up Bynum even for KG.  He is going to move on to become the greatest at his position in this era  ::)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »

And Bill Russle worked with Bob Parish.
And Bill Russle worked with Dave Cow.
And Art Gilmore worked with Tim Dunkar.

You Negative Nancys are so glass half empty.

As to attempting to diss Kareems working with Bynum.  Whatever.  Hope you fools trade him to the Spurs.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:37:30 PM »

To pull a typical Reality...prove it.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 01:02:55 PM »

And Bill Russle worked with Bob Parish.
And Bill Russle worked with Dave Cow.

You Negative Nancys are so glass half empty.

As to attempting to diss Kareems working with Bynum.  Whatever.  Hope you fools trade him to the Spurs.

I am not dissing Kareem working with Bynum...if you read and took a second to think about it you would realize that I am saying that just because you work with a player of that caliber does not automatically mean they turn into the player you thought they would.

Bynum working with Kareem from the jump is a lot different then Hakeem coming in years after Yao came into the league to help him.

Btw, I don't think Art Gilmore helped Duncan.....if anyone should get credit it is D-Rob.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 01:18:35 PM »
To pull a typical Reality...prove it.
I can't.  I made it up.

Bynum working with Kareem from the jump is a lot different then Hakeem coming in years after Yao came into the league to help him. 
  True.  Bynum has less bad habits to unlearn like Yao has under Grunty.  Still, look at what Olajuan has seen in just one 90 minute meeting.

Yao will be unleashed next year and we can continue the discussion.

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 03:23:53 PM »
For what it's worth, Dream got this kind of offseason tutoring early in his career from Moses Malone down in Houston.  Malone was still a capable center at that point so he was actually helping the enemy.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes