Author Topic: Chauncey Billips a Laker  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Chauncey Billips a Laker
« on: May 07, 2007, 10:51:08 PM »
All this dream talk of Lakers getting KG.  ::)
Lets talk unrestricted FAs.
Chauncy Billips is an ufa.  Lakers sorely need a point guard.
Will Buss break the bank to get him?

How about Vince Carter or Rashard Lewis at SF?  Oh you'd rather have Luke Walton.  Well okay.

Buss should break the bank and sign both of them IMO.
Except Lewis will say he would rather be a Spur and sign for less.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chauncey Billips a Laker
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:09 PM »
Why do we need Vince Carter when we have Kobe? Heck ya I would rather have Luke Walton then Vince Carter.

I'd take Chauncey over most other players save KG (Stern would love to have him go to LA wouldn't he?).  I'd like to get him a heck of alot better then Jermaine O'Neal in a Lakers uniform.  I think he addresses many problems.  Billups is also a pretty tough defender and the Lakers have had alot of problems with perimeter defense.  Smush was cut and I don't think PJ wants Farmar to start so it makes alot of sense. 

A player is more likely to sign for less in LA then SA...they have a chance to make more money in a bigger market with endorsements.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
I'm sure the Lakers would love to sign a big name free agent.  But I believe they have to play under the same salary cap rules as other teams.  So in order to "break the bank" they would have to be involved in a sign & trade. 

I don't see Detroit taking any Lakers back in exchange for Billups.  Rashard doesn't fill a need (PG/post player) and again s&t.  Vince...only a drug induced haze would make one think that Carter would help the Lakers.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:42:34 AM »
Billups would be nice but why would Billups leave the Pistons?  They are thin at PG so I'm sure they will pay the finals MVP what he deserves and keep him in a Pistons uniform.

Carter or Lewis?  No thanks, I'd rather keep Walton and get a quality big in the FA market.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:06:50 AM »
Billups would be nice but why would Billups leave the Pistons?  They are thin at PG so I'm sure they will pay the finals MVP what he deserves and keep him in a Pistons uniform.
  Ben Wallace and the Pistons?  Almost all other NBA UFAs who claim "it's not about the money."??  Joe Johnson, Nash really thought he would have a better shot with Phx or it was the money?  on and on..

Carter or Lewis?  No thanks, I'd rather keep Walton and get a quality big in the FA market.
  Such as?  Hope your fortunes pan out.  Now you're back to who are you going to give up and everyone wants at least Bynum as part of the deal.  Who is dense or bought off enough to give up a quality big in exchange for the Kwamster?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:16:59 AM »
  Ben Wallace and the Pistons?  Almost all other NBA UFAs who claim "it's not about the money."??  Joe Johnson, Nash really thought he would have a better shot with Phx or it was the money?  on and on..

Big difference dreamality.  Chicago offered MORE money because they had cap room.  Lakers don't have cap room to offer Billups more money than Detroit.  All Lakers could offer is mid-level exception. 
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:28:49 AM »

Big difference dreamality.  Chicago offered MORE money because they had cap room.  Lakers don't have cap room to offer Billups more money than Detroit.  All Lakers could offer is mid-level exception. 

Exactly Lurker.  The TALENT the Lakers could offer are Odom, Bynum and Walton, the CONTRACTS the Lakers could offer are Kwame and Odom to make a deal work.  Maybe even Walton next year after he tests the FA market.

Wallace was somewhat of a surprise considering his history with the Pistons, but in the end money talks.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:48:19 AM »
I see.  That is why no teams are paying the luxery tax now.  ::)

WOWs dream to acquire KG involves unloading the Kwamsters salary.  Of course this same thing could not be done for Billups?  You two dreamweavers have an explaination?

Walton is an UFA now.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 10:08:57 AM »
It's hard to just throw Ben Wallace's name out there because he already won the title and felt as if the team was tapering off after the follow up season. Different players have different reasons for leaving teams.  It is not always just more money or a title...it could be other factors as well.  Sometimes players go to big markets just so they can be a celebrity.

Honestly, why would Billups leave the Pistons for anything?  They can offer him more money and they are a contender.  They are putting a whooping on EC teams this year including Ben Wallace' Bulls.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 10:16:36 AM »
I see.  That is why no teams are paying the luxery tax now.  ::)

Do you even have the faintest understanding of how the cap works?  If you are over the salary cap (not the luxury cap) then you are limited to signing players 3 ways: mid-level exception, low level exception and minimum salary.  Teams go over the luxury cap by trading to take on more salary than they give up (can receive up to 15 or 20% more) OR by escalating salaries for players already under contract.

In short, THE LAKERS CANNOT OFFER BILLUPS MORE MONEY THAN DETROIT.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:23:54 AM »
CAN BILLUPS TAKE LESS MONEY TO SIGN WITH THE LAKERS?
IS YOU METAMUCIL KICKING IN THIS MORNING?

Honestly, why would Billups leave the Pistons for anything?  They can offer him more money and they are a contender.  They are putting a whooping on EC teams this year including Ben Wallace' Bulls.
  Same criteria applied to Ben Wallace?

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »
Yeah same criteria applied with one big, giant, huge difference. 

Chaucey Billups and Flip Saunders are absolutely in love with each other and this goes back to Billups' Minnesota days.  Quite a different story with Flip and BenWa.   
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:26:16 PM »
CAN BILLUPS TAKE LESS MONEY TO SIGN WITH THE LAKERS?
IS YOU METAMUCIL KICKING IN THIS MORNING?

WHY WOULD HE TAKE LESS MONEY TO GO TO A WORSE TEAM?

-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 12:27:37 PM »
To make a successful rap album and be wid da induwstry people like Shaq.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:55 PM »
To make a successful rap album and be wid da induwstry people like Shaq.

When did Miami trade Shaq back to one of the LA teams?
-Moody Blues