Author Topic: Brackets are still not fixed.  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Brackets are still not fixed.
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:23:01 PM »
When LordSternfish made the slight but very important adjustment to make sure another error like last years WC #1 and #2 best records meeting in Round 2 would not happen again (San Antonio vs Dallas Mavs), it's still only a minor adjustment and he has hardly fixed the problem.
Scheduling opponent according to see after each round is the fair thing to do.
Ya ya you have to play em all to win a title.  Get real.  Current system is still flawed in that it rewards a lower seed with a lower seed opponent.

After making the slight adjustment for this year, he smuggly said "that will now give them (NBA fans and supporters) something else to complain about."  Way ahead of you Lordfish.  Now what was seen as an obvious continued flaw has come to fruition.
Why should Phx and San Antone have to play now, while either Hou-Utah is "rewarded" with Golden State?
Believe me, Golden State is no usual 8th seed but...
Hou-Utah are "rewarded" with playing the 8th seed while #2 and #3 Phx-San Ant have to play now.

1 Dallas 67 15
2 Phoenix 61 21
3 San Antonio3x 58 24
4 Utah 51 31 
5 Houston 52 30 
6 Denver 45 37 
7 L.A. Lakers 42 40 
8 Golden State 42 40

okay lets look at the EC.
Why is it Det vs Chicago now? While Cleveland gets the Toronto-New Jersey winner.  #1 best record Det should play the lowest seeded team.  Instead Cleveland is rewarded with the lower seed opponent.  Should be reseeded to have Det host the Tor-Jersey winner.

1 Detroit 53 29    
2 Cleveland 50
3 Toronto 47 35 
4 Miami 44 38 
5 Chicago 49 33    
6 New Jersey 41 41 
7 Washington 41 41
8 Orlando 40 42

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:28:24 PM by Reality »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brackets are still not fixed.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:22:12 PM »
That depends on your perspective.  Shouldn't Golden State be rewarded for beating the Number 1 seeded team, by drawing an easier opponent in the next round? 

Detroit is getting the winner of the 4-5 bracket which under normal circumstances is what they should get.  Cleveland will play a team ranked higher than Chicago if Toronto wins.

You're only upset because Phoenix and San Antonio have to play each other, and you think at they shouldn't meet until the final round of conference playoffs. If Dallas played to form, you wouldn't begrudge them playing the winner of Utah/Houston.

It's just the way the seedings worked out.  It is very typical for the #2 and #3 to meet in the second round, as it is set up for #1 to play #4.  When an upset occurs you think the brackets should be reshifted, punishing a team for their regular season record. I think that by overcoming the better record opponent, the Golden States deserve a break.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:33:44 PM »
Nope.  Should be like NFL, seed according to record after each round.
Golden States crusty season should all be wiped out and they rewarded with an easier opponent for beating #1?  No way. 

Cleveland will play a team ranked higher than Chicago if Toronto wins. 
Only because the NBAs "ranking" ranks a Div winner with a lower record higher then a Non Div winner with a better record. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 02:45:16 PM »
If this year proves anything, it's that regular season records and past performance mean nothing.  The two teams that played in last year's finals are both eliminated.

Why should you complain about seeding, when the higher seeded team isn't necessarily the better team anyway? 1-8 plays 4-5 and 2-7 plays 3-6.  That's the way it's set up.  Why should San Antonio or Phoenix be rewarded with an easier seed just because Golden State won? 

You're full of it.  It's not any fairer to do it your way.  At least this way Golden State gets rewarded. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 02:51:10 PM »
You're only upset because Phoenix and San Antonio have to play each other, and you think at they shouldn't meet until the final round of conference playoffs.  
I'm actually looking forward to the Phx-San Antone series.
With #1 Dallas eliminated, yes of course #2 Phx should not have to face #3 San Antone now in R2.

If Dallas played to form, you wouldn't begrudge them playing the winner of Utah/Houston.
Since Dallas was and would have been the #1 seed, of course i wouldn't.  That would be fair.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 03:00:28 PM »
Reality so because the teams you want to see play are in fact not doing it, you want to re-do the brackets?

Having the best record in the league should give you benefits.  That includes home court advantage and playing lesser teams on the road to the finals.  If the #1 played all the hardest teams then you'd have to restructure from the jump seeing as they play the 8th seed.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 03:05:52 PM »
Reality so because the teams you want to see play are in fact not doing it, you want to re-do the brackets? 
Yes that is why i mentioned the EC arrangment of #1 Detroit playing 49 win Chi while Lebron Cleveland may well get to play 41-41 New Jersey.

Having the best record in the league should give you benefits.  That includes home court advantage and playing lesser teams on the road to the finals.
  So are you agreeing or disagreeing? 

The NFL does it *my* way every year.  It's not that complicated.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 03:12:05 PM »
The premise of this thread is De de de!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 03:27:52 PM »
Yes that is why i mentioned the EC arrangment of #1 Detroit playing 49 win Chi while Lebron Cleveland may well get to play 41-41 New Jersey.

Having the best record in the league should give you benefits.  That includes home court advantage and playing lesser teams on the road to the finals.
  So are you agreeing or disagreeing? 

The NFL does it *my* way every year.  It's not that complicated.

Ya and the NFL also only plays one game per round as opposed to potentially 7

Houston and Utah are not being rewarded because it is not like they were handed the 8th seed.  You can actually say they were given the short end of the stick having to play the best team in the league....but they choked.

Rick is right, GS should not have to be restructured to play another team simply because they got an upset.  I think it is actually designed that way for a reason.  Seems to me like you are a little nervous about the SA/Suns matchup.  Personally I think SA is gonna get it done in 6 and I am not the true hardcore to the bone Spurs fan like yourself.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 03:32:54 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 03:33:26 PM »
Yes well for those who think the NFLs playoff arrangment is De de de i don't know what to sthay.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
Yes well for those who think the NFLs playoff arrangment is De de de i don't know what to sthay.

You are comparing apples and oranges that why it is DE DE DE....They play ONE game to advance to the next round.  It makes a huge difference when you have many games.