Author Topic: Did the Lakers step up or did the Suns ramp it down?  (Read 1638 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Did the Lakers step up or did the Suns ramp it down?
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:40:28 AM »
Where the Suns battling boredom as well as the Lakers last night?  I was happy to see the Lakers stay in the game most of the way through and not just roll over.  They did get down by double digits but they did stay in there and came back in the end but came up short.

Didn't realized the Lakers were so injured, Walton, Odom and Kobe all came into the game hurt plus Odom and Walton have not recovered from their regular season injuries.  Despite everything the Lakers did or did not accomplish this year, it's painfully obvious that the Lakers lack some talent to help Kobe out, Odom just doesn't seem to bring it night in and night out, although his stat line still looks good.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Did the Lakers step up or did the Suns ramp it down?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
PHX just doesn't look at the Lakers as a threat.  Rightfully so, they have beat them in two series now.  I think unless the Suns backs are against the wall that they don't always play that great.  When they seem to be forced to try they really get it done.  For spurts they seemed into the game then let the Lakers crawl back in.

IMO the Lakers need a 20-25 ppg scorer to help carry the load night in and night out.  Similar to what Arenas has in Caron.  Or Baron in Jason Richardson.  Personally it would be nice to have another solid second scorer and keep Odom.  Unless Bynum can average 10-15 points a game the Lakers may be stuck in this situation without someone you can guarentee will pull a quarter of the scoring load..  I would like to see what moves the Lakers make at the PG position (I think Smush is gone or will be 100% on the bench).  Is Farmar going to start?  Or are they going to go out to get one?  Also, this is a very key off-season for Andrew Bynum.  If he puts in hard work this summer teamed up with another year on his belt, he should be able to be a bigger contributor on a more consistent basis. 

Of course I hate when Laker season is over but these playoffs have been a big treat so I'll be fine  :'(
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 11:33:39 AM »
"Odom, playing the whole series with a hyperextended elbow and torn shoulder cartilage, had a career playoff-high 33 points and 10 rebounds for the Lakers..." -espn
I'd say that is bringing it as hard as he could.

"It was I guess, a fairly comfortable situation," Phoenix's Steve Nash said. "It never got real desperate..."
Ouch.  I dunno, after the Kobester hit back to back trey to pull within 5, i thought it was quite uncomfortable for Phx.  DiAntoni looked very uncomfortable.  The subsequent foul call on Turiaf vs  Stoudemire was bogus.  One of 21 FTs for Stoudamire but i guess "superstars get the calls".   ::)

Also Marions little 8 foot hook shot with the shot clock winding down.  Might as well close his eyes next time and play horse.

Yeah, the lack of earlier was bothersome.

So what are the Kobesters stats since Shaq left?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:34:25 PM »

Never been swept in a playoff series.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »
The Suns did what they needed to do to win.  It's not that the Lakers can't play, just not well enough on most nights to beat the Suns.

In a way it's a shame the Lakers couldn't put up more of a fight, since the Suns will have all they can handle in the next round against the Spurs.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:14:12 PM »

I know in 2005 playoffs he was not swept.
4-8 is wayy better then 30-14 and a title and being swept.

So does Odom stay in PhilWorld?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:23:29 PM »

I know in 2005 playoffs he was not swept.
4-8 is wayy better then 30-14 and a title and being swept.

So does Odom stay in PhilWorld?

Shaq didn't do much without Wade.

I think Odom is a very good fit for PJ's system, I don't think he's going anywhere unless it's to bring in someone special to the Lakers.  What the Lakers really need is a good post presence on both ends of the court.  Bynum could develop into that post presence in the future but I don't see him making much of an impact for the next 2 to 3 years, I don't think the Lakers can wait that long.  I think a healthy Lakers team SHOULD be able to get into the second round and even into the 3rd round of the playoffs but they are far from a legit title contendor, that is usually good enough for most teams but not the Lakers.  The pre-Shaq Laker days was an example of a really good team that was fun to watch but didn't really have a legit shot at a title, not even a legit shot at the WC title and that was not good enough compared to the Laker show time era that had preceeded it, same goes for the current team compared to the post-3peat Shaq/Kobe era.  I don't know what the current Laker front office can or will do about that.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 03:17:38 PM »
The Suns did what they needed to do to win.  It's not that the Lakers can't play, just not well enough on most nights to beat the Suns.

That is what happens when you are a high profile team in a huge market.  I think people seem to forget that the Suns are just a really good team.  I've heard people say that Kobe can't get it done or his supporting cast can't get it done or they need major changes.  Kind of seems like Laker fans and people who follow the Lakers closely (sports writers, casual fans, bball fans) are not giving the Suns props.

The Lakers could have made it to the second round if they would have won games giving them a higher seed.  They just happen to hit one of the two best teams in the entire league.  Happens.  It is not like the Utah Jazz had a crappy team in the 90s...they just hit the Bulls.  No one said Karl Malone and Stockton needed help.  What about Indiana's teams with Reggie Miller?  They had some good teams but happen to run into a very good team often.

Ditto pretty much what WOW said...they need a post player who can block shots and pitch in on the offensive end from the post.  There is no real inside outside game on this squad.  When the balls moves well on this squad, it moves very well.  When the defense makes adjustments and they can't move the ball freely they need someone in the middle to take high % shots.   IMO they should wait one more year to see how well Bynum develops.  Next year will be his 3rd and I think if he shows growth in the direction the Lakers need to go then they need to keep him.  If he goes Chris Kaman you deal him with Odom.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 05:35:44 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 03:56:30 PM »
Similar to what Arenas has in Caron.
;D

Kobe once had a Caron in...well...err....who was it.....oh yeah....Caron. 8)

That sign-n-trade has gotta go down in the annals of Laker history as one of the worst deals they've ever made.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 04:25:26 PM »
Similar to what Arenas has in Caron.
;D

Kobe once had a Caron in...well...err....who was it.....oh yeah....Caron. 8)

That sign-n-trade has gotta go down in the annals of Laker history as one of the worst deals they've ever made.

I don't agree, Kwame does a decent job defending the post.   The conversation would be that the Lakers can score but can't stop Jason Collins in the post and that's why the Lakers can't win.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 10:28:15 AM »
I don't agree, Kwame does a decent job defending the post.   The conversation would be that the Lakers can score but can't stop Jason Collins in the post and that's why the Lakers can't win.

Stop slinging those crack rocks, WOW, its starting to affect your rudimentary cognition. 

I'm sure Ronnie Turiaf and Andrew Bynum would have done a more than adequate job of guarding the Jason Collins's of the world, especially under the tutelage of Phil Jackson, who has always taught defense to anyone who has played for him.

In addition, you'd still have a one the league's premier perimeter defenders giving you 20 points and 7 rebounds a game.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 11:41:44 AM »

Stop slinging those crack rocks, WOW, its starting to affect your rudimentary cognition. 

I'm sure Ronnie Turiaf and Andrew Bynum would have done a more than adequate job of guarding the Jason Collins's of the world, especially under the tutelage of Phil Jackson, who has always taught defense to anyone who has played for him.

In addition, you'd still have a one the league's premier perimeter defenders giving you 20 points and 7 rebounds a game.

I don't think the Lakers knew that Bynum and Turiaf could develop into something usable in the post when they made the trade for Kwame.  Kwame has one of the best NBA bodies I've seen in a while, he's also got good athletic ability but his small/stone hands coupled with his soft/stone head really drive me nuts.  Not much you can do with Kwame it seems, I'd be surprised if he's around next year after the trade deadline, his expiring contract should make him the biggest chip in the Laker's trade game.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"