Author Topic: Dallas in a huge hole, can they dig themselves out?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Dallas in a huge hole, can they dig themselves out?
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:48:28 AM »
Dallas is going to have to prove they are a team of destiny and come back from being done 3-1.  If the Suns can do it so can the Mavs should be their line of thinking.  Makes you really wonder what would have happened if those ejections hadn't happened in game 2. 

Dallas looks like they could fold, I'm sure they are thinking about the choke job they did last year, this could be a historic fold.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dallas in a huge hole, can they dig themselves out?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:31:25 AM »
WOW, you know how much I hate gloating...and I've really, REEEEALLY tried restraining myself....but I just can't.

Dirk still your MVP, now???  :D

(that goes out to Joe Vancil as well)
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »
I think someone forgot to tell GS that teams that win over 65 regular season games are "guaranteed" a spot in the Finals.   ;D
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
As much as i would like to say they are done, I can't.  I still think they will make a fight out of this...although I would REALLY like GS to knock them out, I don't know that I can say that a team as good as Dallas could just fall like that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:59:30 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:17:59 AM »
WOW, you know how much I hate gloating...and I've really, REEEEALLY tried restraining myself....but I just can't.

(that goes out to Joe Vancil as well)

Yes, he is.  Why wouldn't he be?

Oh.  Don't tell me we're going to start that "It matters how the team is going to do in the playoffs" stuff again.  I thought we dispensed with that years ago, back when Iverson won his MVP.

The MVP is a *REGULAR SEASON* award.  Nowitzki's Mavericks overachieved something fierce in the regular season, and it was MOSTLY due to Nowtizki.  To me, that's the definition of the MVP.

If you're arguing that Nowitzki doesn't deserve this award because Golden State is beating him, I can argue that last year's MVP should have been Dwyane Wade.  After all, Nowitzki stunk it up against the Heat.  Oh, and forget Nash last year, too - especially after how both the Lakers and Clippers took the Suns to 7.  And why did Kevin Garnett ever win an MVP?  His team was never going to sniff the Finals.

What exactly did Nash and the Suns do during the season that was so spectacular? 

For the MVP voting, my vote goes:
1)  Dirk Nowitzki
2)  Lebron James
3)  Steve Nash

Also figuring significantly in the voting are Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams (although they lost a lot of ground in the voting when they lost the homecourt in the first round), and Tim Duncan.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Dallas is going to have to prove they are a team of destiny and come back from being done 3-1.  If the Suns can do it so can the Mavs should be their line of thinking.  Makes you really wonder what would have happened if those ejections hadn't happened in game 2. 

Dallas looks like they could fold, I'm sure they are thinking about the choke job they did last year, this could be a historic fold.

Makes you wonder how much easier it would have been if they just beat GS in the last season of the game instead of sitting Dirk to rest him.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:30:39 AM »
You know, if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have believed it:  Golden State is actually playing GOOD DEFENSE and are showing EXCELLENT PERIMETER BALL MOVEMENT!  Dallas hasn't shown that they can cover Golden State on the outside yet, because sure enough, turn around, and there's a Warrior with a wide-open look at a 3-pointer.

I still say Dallas is missing Marquis Daniels right about now.

I'm more interested in what happens if Golden State holds on and meets either Houston or Utah.  While neither team can stay with the Warriors on the perimeter, BOTH teams have something that Dallas just doesn't have - a significant post scoring threat.  Yao Ming and Carlos Boozer both present serious problems for Golden State.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:42:33 AM »

I think you're wearing you pantites too tight, I've said this years MVP should be Nash, the only reason he might not get it is because he's won it two times in a row already.

Wouldn't it be something if Dirk gets the MVP the same time he gets knocked out of the playoffs?  I would be something if he gets the MVP and then sparks a huge Sunslike comeback.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 10:52:15 AM »
What I found most impressive about yesterday's game was the execution down the stretch.  GS looked composed and in control; Dallas looked like the playoff first-timers who are nervous.

Dallas has now lost 7 of their last 8 PLAYOFF games.  And the fact that they haven't looked competitive against GS has to be getting inside their heads.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 10:53:16 AM »
They can, but really haven't shown me that they can.  Golden State is outplaying them with smaller, shorter players.  No one on the Mavs can get in front of Barron Davis.

It really doesn't make sense.  Dallas should be wiping the floor with them, but simply aren't playing well enough.

The Mavericks aren't quick enough and precise enough with their passing.  They should easilly be able to exploit the matchups on their end of the floor with their height.  As long as they execute well, Golden State shouldn't be able to stay with them.

The problem is the Warriors are living off of Dallas' mistakes.  Every play becomes a runout and an easy bucket for them.  Unless the Mavericks shut that down, they're not going to get out of this series.

In the meantime the Utah - Houston series is turning into a good one.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 11:03:40 AM »
This series looks alot like the Bulls series.  The faster players are beating offensive players to spots, shutting off passing lanes, and are getting to the lose balls.  EVERYTIME!   Both the Bulls and Warriors are playing awesome defense relying on speed and quickness to get it done.  You have to give them props for playing with this swagger as an 8th seed.

After picking Dallas to get out of the west I look like a dummy.  Which I don't mind as it happens often and we are getting good playoff basketball!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 01:07:41 PM »
What I found most impressive about yesterday's game was the execution down the stretch.  GS looked composed and in control; Dallas looked like the playoff first-timers who are nervous.

Dallas has now lost 7 of their last 8 PLAYOFF games.  And the fact that they haven't looked competitive against GS has to be getting inside their heads.

I don't think the Warriors looked as much in control as they looked loose, they don't really have a set offensive set they run in crunch time, they just seem to play street ball, give it to Davis and GO!  Can't really stop that, kinda what Denver tries to do and the Suns do well because of Nash.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »
I don't think the Warriors looked as much in control as they looked loose, they don't really have a set offensive set they run in crunch time, they just seem to play street ball, give it to Davis and GO!  Can't really stop that, kinda what Denver tries to do and the Suns do well because of Nash.
Exactly.  And the refs are not bailing Dirky and Jet.
Phx should play this way all the time.  In their loss to LA, while of course LA played better then the other games, down the stretch Phx tried running two set plays to Marion and he bricked both of them.  Phx should just stay in street ball mode with Nash at qb.  Barbosa also makes a good qb.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 01:54:07 PM »
Yes, he is.  Why wouldn't he be?

Oh.  Don't tell me we're going to start that "It matters how the team is going to do in the playoffs" stuff again.  I thought we dispensed with that years ago, back when Iverson won his MVP.

The MVP is a *REGULAR SEASON* award.  Nowitzki's Mavericks overachieved something fierce in the regular season, and it was MOSTLY due to Nowtizki.  To me, that's the definition of the MVP.

If you're arguing that Nowitzki doesn't deserve this award because Golden State is beating him, I can argue that last year's MVP should have been Dwyane Wade.  After all, Nowitzki stunk it up against the Heat.  Oh, and forget Nash last year, too - especially after how both the Lakers and Clippers took the Suns to 7.  And why did Kevin Garnett ever win an MVP?  His team was never going to sniff the Finals.

What exactly did Nash and the Suns do during the season that was so spectacular?  

For the MVP voting, my vote goes:
1)  Dirk Nowitzki
2)  Lebron James
3)  Steve Nash

Also figuring significantly in the voting are Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams (although they lost a lot of ground in the voting when they lost the homecourt in the first round), and Tim Duncan.

WHOAAAAAA Nellie!! (i made a funny pun)

Hold on there a second, Joe, I never said anything about the playoffs having to do with the MVP.  I just find it hilarious that during these playoffs, my biggest knock on Dirk Nowitzki has been so eloquently and illustriously...well...illustrated.  In addition to his regression in statistics, his complete lack of the intangibles has shown through.  Bill Russell won 5 MVPs during the Wilt Chamberlain era largely because of the intangibles and how that translated into Wins for his team.  Chamberlain was the better scorer, the better rebounder, indeed, much more dominant all-around than Bill Russell could ever hope to be, yet, Russell was the MVP--why?  Intangibles -- leadership, poise, decision-making, clutch delivery, will to power, etc.  I'm sorry to say that Dirk has very little of each of these things and it is now showing through loud and clear.

The 7 win jump in record from last year has to do with Josh Howard emerging as a star and the fact that rotation regulars (Terry, Harris, Diop, Dampier, and Stackhouse) had another year in Avery Johnson's system.  NOT THE MVP-calibre season of Dirk Nowitzki.  Dirk was very important cog in a very successful machine.  Nash was a much, much more important cog in a not-quite-so-successful-but-still-relatively-very-successful machine.  

I argued for Dirk last year but this year it is Nash's (how fitting he came within 1 assist of breaking the playoff record in Game 4, giving one of the most brilliant basketball performances from a PG in recent history).

While I don't think the playoffs should have a bearing on the MVP, I remain tickled at the fact that my personal selections for MVP have been beautifully illustrated in the playoffs--last year AND this year.

Dirk was my MVP last year, not Nash:
Dallas disposes of the Grizzlies and has a classic playoff series for the ages against powerhouse SA before disposing of the Suns without too much trouble.    
Suns get pushed to 7 games by the much more inferior Lakers and Clippers before helplessly succumbing to Dallas.

Nash is my MVP this year, not Dirk:
Dallas will very likely lose in a historic failure by any stretch of the imagination: only the 3rd one seed to lose in the first round and the first one to do it in a 7-game format.  
While the Suns have maneuvered themselves to a 3-1 edge with efficiency and panache.  

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 01:58:24 PM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 02:24:44 PM »

Don't know if they will or not, but I am rooting for GS.  Nothing could be better than watching Mark Cuban pop a valve over this, especially if Nash and Phx win it all.  Don Nelson whups him and Nash wins a title, and Mark the Mouth is stuck writing his Blog.  I am loving every minute of him squirming.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil