Author Topic: Props to Sam Mitchell, COY.  (Read 5266 times)

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
Props to Sam Mitchell, COY.
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:44:29 AM »
As always, there were other worthy candidates (Sloan is the bridesmaid again) but I'm thrilled for Sam.  He had a long career by working hard and getting the most out of his talent.  He's a true professional and a class act.

I ran into him on the street one morning on my way to work.  I got a chance to tell him good luck on next year and how much I respected him.  He was very gracious and thanked me. 

I didn't want to waste his time so I didn't tell him about the time my friends and I were just ruinously drunk at Wolves game and started bellowing at the St Paul paper's Wolves beat reporter to write an article called "Sam Mitchell is the Man!"
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Props to Sam Mitchell, COY.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »
I wonder how much of the Jazz shakey end to the season had to do with Jerry Sloan not getting it.  Props to Sam either way.

Also props to Barbosa for winning the 6th man award!
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 01:03:52 PM »
I'm really interested to see who wins the MVP, Nash is just as deserving as last year but I think Dirk will get it this year cause getting 3 in a row is pretty hard.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »
I'm really interested to see who wins the MVP, Nash is just as deserving as last year but I think Dirk will get it this year cause getting 3 in a row is pretty hard.

I'd be suprised if Nash did for the simple fact Barbosa got the 6th man.  If you have the best bench player in the league coming in for you at your position then it has to have an effect on how valuable you are to your team.  Barbosa posted great numbers because when Nash hit the pine he was able to still run the offense effectively.

If Dirk or Kobe were to hit the pine the guy who comes into replace them are not that good thus making them more valuable right?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:49:36 PM »
^^  a lot, i daresay the majority of Barbosas season stats are acquired while Nash is in the game.
35 mpg Barbosa
41 mpg Nash

^^ Exactly how Gm 1 shook down.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
^^  a lot, i daresay the majority of Barbosas season stats are acquired while Nash is in the game.
35 mpg Barbosa
41 mpg Nash

^^ Exactly how Gm 1 shook down.

Im curious to see what his stats were when Nash is on the bench.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »
Im curious to see what his stats were when Nash is on the bench. 
Yes me too.  Great pg option when Nash is sitting.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »
I'd be suprised if Nash did for the simple fact Barbosa got the 6th man.  If you have the best bench player in the league coming in for you at your position then it has to have an effect on how valuable you are to your team

AI won MVP when McKie won 6th man.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 09:28:53 PM »
I'd be suprised if Nash did for the simple fact Barbosa got the 6th man.  If you have the best bench player in the league coming in for you at your position then it has to have an effect on how valuable you are to your team

Didn't they also win COY or did Deke win defensive player of the year?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »

But Aaron Mckie doesn't play AI's position or at least he is not AI's first backup like Barbosa is to Nash.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:47:13 PM »
But Aaron Mckie doesn't play AI's position

Technically, he did, wk.  Aaron McKie was listed as a SG, Iverson was listed as a SG.  Same situation with Barbosa and Nash who are BOTH listed as PG.  But both situations worked very much the same. 

Whereas in Philly, McKie got a lot of time on the floor with Allen iverson sliding to PG (and Eric Snow to the bench).  Barbosa slides over to SG the entire time Nash is on the floor with him (and Bell or Diaw go to the bench).  The majority of McKie's minutes weren't relieving Iverson per se, and neither are Barbosa's minutes for Nash.

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »

Yup.  They swept all 4 awards.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 02:28:04 PM »

Yup.  They swept all 4 awards.

That seemed like a team of destiny, too bad they ran into the greatest playoff team to ever exist in the NBA.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 03:05:40 PM »
But Aaron Mckie doesn't play AI's position

Technically, he did, wk.  Aaron McKie was listed as a SG, Iverson was listed as a SG.  Same situation with Barbosa and Nash who are BOTH listed as PG.  But both situations worked very much the same. 

Whereas in Philly, McKie got a lot of time on the floor with Allen iverson sliding to PG (and Eric Snow to the bench).  Barbosa slides over to SG the entire time Nash is on the floor with him (and Bell or Diaw go to the bench).  The majority of McKie's minutes weren't relieving Iverson per se, and neither are Barbosa's minutes for Nash.

Maybe I am mistaken but I could have sworn he was played SF that year for the majority of his minutes.

Barbosa plays the point when Nash is not in also.  So while you are right a bulk of his minutes come along side Nash, when he runs the point they still play good basketball.  My point being is that the players around Nash are pretty talented and can play well even if Nash is not in.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
My point being is that the players around Nash are pretty talented and can play well even if Nash is not in.

Phoenix record in 2003-2004 season, roster included Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire, and Leandro Barbosa, their coach was Mike D'Antoni (year before Nash):

Record: 29-54

Since Steve Nash signed with Phoenix in Summer of 2004 (spanning 04-05, 05-06, and 06-07 seasons):

Record without Nash:  4-12

The players around Nash are talented but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you and submit that it matters a GREAT DEAL if Nash is not in. 

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."