Author Topic: Some surprises in the playoffs already!  (Read 3505 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Some surprises in the playoffs already!
« on: April 23, 2007, 08:19:52 AM »
I wasn't sure what to expect of the Lakers against the Suns, when I tunned in around the 4th quarter I was suprised they were in the game.  I expected a blowout in game 1.  The commentators kept mentioning how well Kobe played in the 1st half but what I saw in the 4th was pretty bad.  Kobe forced the issue way too much, he took the team out of their offense and the Suns run and gun style really killed in the 4th.

Didn't see much of the Spurs/Denver game but I was surprised that the Nuggets took that game.  My prediction for the Spurs to win it all is looking shaky, the Spurs have a ton of pressure for game 2 and I don't know how TD and Parker are going to react.

Saw a bit of the GS/Mavs game and it was what I expected except for the final score.  Seems like the Mavs are decent at defending traditional teams but they have a hard time against a jump shooting / slasing team like GS.  You can't do much when a player pulls up a few feet behind the 3pt line and just nails them.  I don't expect GS to win this series but this first game was a shocker.

Despite the two upsets I expect the top 3 seeds to advance.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some surprises in the playoffs already!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
Didn't see the Laker game, but I think they're overmatched this year, much more than last, since the Suns now have Amare.  IMO, he will be a significant factor in the Suns advancing.  Kobe probably just got frustrated, but you can't blame him for wanting to win. He wouldn't be taking it all on himself if the others were pulling their weight.

Spurs fans now know that they're in for a fight, if they didn't already.  I don't think the Spurs overlooked the Nuggets, I'm just not sure they have the pieces to stop AI and Anthony.  Parker cannot contain Iverson, I actually don't think anyone can and lock a team like Denver down at the same time.

On the other side, Denver has a lot of people to throw at TD and that is how you stop the Spurs.  When TD is effective, he keeps the Spurs in it and puts pressure on the other team, and the Spurs are good when they can set up defensively.  But without TD scoring consistently, the pressure shifts to the Spurs.

Very few teams can do this to SA, but Denver can.  Pops is going to have to make some significant adjustments quickly,  or AI is going to chase them out of the playoffs!  They may not even have the pieces to control the boards against Denver, and they have to in order to control the pace and limit their shots.

Golden State played out of their minds, and Dallas couldn't get into it.  GS, did a great job of harassing the Mavs and disrupting their offense.  Avery will figure it out, but the Warriors deserve a lot of credit for defeating them at home as an 8th seed.

Houston drew first blood, but the Jazz seemed to be in it.  I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the outcome yet.

As I thought Miami is in trouble, Chicago is a good team and Miami needs more than just Shaq and Wade playing,  they didn't get much help from anyone else, just 'Zo and Haslem and Walker, but not enough to overcome the Bulls execution.

The Lebrons will sew up their series in 4.  Wizards have no shot.

Detroit looks like it will also sweep, but the NJ/Raptors series looks to be a good one.   

Some very entertaining opening round series.  Seems that most of the polls I saw said the Nuggets had no shot against the Spurs and it was not going to be much of a series. Yesterday's result puts that match at the top of the list, along with the Bulls vs. Miami.  Both series have the chance to produce upsets in the opening round.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:44:50 AM »
Rick,

The Lakers were in the game the whole time, but that may have been their best shot so I don't have high expectations from here on out.

Dallas will probably blow GS out of the building the next couple of games.

I totally agree, Spurs/Nuggets is now the series to watch.  It seems to be head and shoulders above the rest in terms of excitment.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:45:22 AM »
I'd like to say that this only further proves that teams need to focus on the series at hand.  All the top teams overlooked their opponent and all three teams really had to fight (2 lost and 1 came close)

Rick, Im not sure why you would make a comment like 'they look more overmatched this year' when you didn't see the game.  While the Suns are the better team the Lakers actually put a handle on them for most of the game the exact same way they did last year.  The Lakers can score in the paint with relative ease and it really hurts the Suns when they force Steve Nash to shoot more then pass.  Kobe was awesome in the first half and did force a number of shots down the stretch but that really wasn't the problem...it was actually the defense.  The Lakers defense played very well for 35 minutes and really couldn't hold the intensity after that except for in spurts.   The defense couldn't hold the lead and turnovers gave the Suns easy points.  I don't agree they are way more overmatched this year then last year.  I think it is about the same, even with Amare.  He really didn't do all that much and he was actually a non-factor on the defensive end in the paint.  None of the Lakers are even worried about him in the paint when they are on offense.  Once again for the Lakers they played a 40 minute game when it is actually a 48 minute game.

The SA/Den game was really fun to watch.  Tony Parker needs to really step up his defense if the Spurs want to bounce back and tie up the series.  Iverson is just torching the poor guy.  With Bowen too busy with Melo he is not able to switch onto AI when he gets hot.  The matchups just don't work like that with the Nuggets.  SA looked poised down the stretch but AI's will was just too much for him.  He was shredding that defense last night towards the end of the game.

Dallas/GS...AWESOME!  That was a fun game to watch and might have been the most interesting.  They were only seperated by a few points for a long length of time.  Just trading basket after basket.  The difference was 1) Baron's will was much like AI's was last night 2) they out hustled Dallas down the stretch.  Dallas was pretty pathetic down the stretch.  They flat gave up and let GS rattle off a handful of points.  It wasn't a real blow out till the very end of the 4th.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:15:26 AM »
AI and Carmelo have to be huge for the Nuggets to pull the upset.  But that's a given.

What really cemented the win last night for Denver I thought was Nene.  During the offseason I thought that was one of the dumber signings of recent times.  Besides his "solid but not spectacular" play of late, particularly on the boards, he was just an injury waiting to happen.  He's really picked it up the 2nd half of the season and was great last night.

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Winnin' time
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
Hey y'all!

Yes, those were some very interesting and competitive games throughout the first round of the playoffs.  Sadly, I missed the 2nd half of the Dallas-SF game - that 40 of Old English caused a UFO (Lights Out) condition...LOL

I thought that the Denver-SA game ruled.  The poise that 'Melo and AI demonstrated thoughout the game was crucial to the Nuggets' victory (they've GOT to change that name - too many raps come to mind...LOL).  They did not miss ANY of a boatload of free throws in crunch time, as I recall.  Any Spurs fan who thinks this win was an aberration needs to think again.  No way did anyone believe that TD & Co. would be bounced in the first round - already, it has become a very real possibility.  Now, Spurs fans, listen here - as Snoop Dogg would say, "Don't get mad, just because I'm being real."

Pretty good for an old geezer, eh?  LOL

As far as the Lakers-Suns game went, I thought that Kobe just got tired by the middle of the third quarter...he had to play defense on Raja Bell (who was scoring almost as much as Bryant was), and was out of gas.  It was over for the LAL at that point...Kobe must score 60 and play D as well for the Lakers to even have a chance, with Amare being in the Suns' line-up this year.  Did you see all of those dunks he got?  Dang...

You've got to love LeBron - I hope he is able to get a championship someday, somewhere (sadly, it ain't hapnin' in Cleveland, my friends...).

How sad it is that I am a fan without a team in winnin' time...sigh.

-RB
Shaq #1

Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 11:00:02 AM »
I just love how the shovelfuls of dirt are flying into the hole.  Apparantly the Spurs died yesterday and are being properly buried.  Funny thing is I thought the first round was a best of 7 series.   ???

It is a real shame...mostly because I don't think Denver can continue to "hold" the Spurs big 3 to below 30% shooting regularly.  The Nuggets played with energy last night and hit open 15-18 foot jumpers.  In return the Spurs wre missing layups and open 1-12 footers.  IMO the Nuggets cannot and will not continue to be that accurate from outside.  And the Spurs won't contiunue to be as inept. 

As far as the other games I saw just bits & pieces.  Not really enough to comment on.  The Rockets still look like the darkhorse in the west...it is a team built for playoff basketball.  I fully expect both the Mavs & Spurs will end up on the winning end of their series.  In fact the Nets & Rockets are the only lower seeds that will advance IMO.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Lakers were very much in this game and did Phil take the Kobester out for rest or for going completely out of the team game?  After Kobe tried a ridiculously forced jumper and Phx scored off the long rebound, Phil took him out.  7:40 down till about 5 minutes.  When he came back in the first two Laker possessions Kobe made great passes and he seemed to be in set up teamates mode 100%.

Barbosa roasting Smush anyone?  Especailly at key points of 3rd and 4th.  That was certainly a key part of the Phx comeback and overtake.

Spurs can't play much worse, that's the good news.  Duncan looked very bad and the pathetic 4 Dumb offense at key points is so old and lame.  The topper was Duncan holding it for 5 seconds then making one dribble and falling to the floor for the turnover.  No it was his trying to steal the jumpball.  No it was....i can't take anymore, bring on Gm 2.  On defense what is that goofy arrangement where a 2nd player comes out and waves at A.I. for a half second then scampers back to wherever.  A.I. just waits it out then resumes buring the one on one defender.  Agree with Lurker, Spurs Big 3 can't shoot that badly again and if A.I. can keep up his pace, more power to him. 

Duncan had his ankle stepped on by Camby.  I hope it didn't do anything.  He didn't seem to be limping at all.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:50:43 AM by Reality »

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:47:09 AM »
He wouldn't be taking it all on himself if the others were pulling their weight.

Hearing this in my thoughts as I read is just nails on a chalkboard.  I watched the enitre second half of the Lakers game yesterday and the best player on the court in Purple was Luke Walton.  The offense ran to absolute perfection in the first 6 minutes of the second quarter as Luke made the correct pass in the triangle, hit the open shot, and found the cutter every time down court.  In addition to his usual coming up with the lose ball, hustling for rebounds, and sure-handed dribbling.  He had 8 points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists with 18 minutes left to play in the game.  Of course he was promptly forgotten for the rest of the game, the next time he touched the ball with under 2 minutes he took two Suns off the dribble and calmly scored a layup on the both of them.  From the highlights and stats, I gather Kobe was unconcious in the 1st half.  In the 2nd half, he got tired and he got cold but wouldn't start passing.  I agree with WOW, he took the team out of their offense.  The Lakers blew a good opportunity.  

As far as the Lakers-Suns game went, I thought that Kobe just got tired by the middle of the third quarter...he had to play defense on Raja Bell (who was scoring almost as much as Bryant was), and was out of gas.

Don't know what lens prescription your on right now, old man, but what I saw was Raja Bell laying brick after brick with open threes that Nash and Barbosa were finding him for.  ...And as I click on over to the box score, I see a 1-6 from the field and 0-5 from three from our man Raja, which is actually a little better than I would have figured watching him shoot yesterday.  8)

------------------------

Didn't get a chance to see DEN-SA, but I did see DAL-GS.  Baron Davis is just the man--some of those three pointers he was drilling were insane.  In fact GS was on fire from three point range, there was a contested 3 point shot Matt Barnes took from the sideline with 20 seconds left on the shot clock (and I was like what a horrible shot)----swoosh.  Even more impressive from GS was their swarming defense especiall on and around Dirk Nowitzki.  They held Dallas to 35% shooting from the field.  They continue to do that, it might be a series.  If not, this series will go 5 games with the horrendous shot selection of Golden State's.  

-------------------------

Also, did you guys here that Andrei Kirilenko actually broke down and starting balling in practice the day after the loss to Houston. :'(  Wow!  

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 12:10:09 PM »
I just love how the shovelfuls of dirt are flying into the hole.  Apparantly the Spurs died yesterday and are being properly buried.  Funny thing is I thought the first round was a best of 7 series.   ???

It is a real shame...mostly because I don't think Denver can continue to "hold" the Spurs big 3 to below 30% shooting regularly.  The Nuggets played with energy last night and hit open 15-18 foot jumpers.  In return the Spurs wre missing layups and open 1-12 footers.  IMO the Nuggets cannot and will not continue to be that accurate from outside.  And the Spurs won't contiunue to be as inept. 

As far as the other games I saw just bits & pieces.  Not really enough to comment on.  The Rockets still look like the darkhorse in the west...it is a team built for playoff basketball.  I fully expect both the Mavs & Spurs will end up on the winning end of their series.  In fact the Nets & Rockets are the only lower seeds that will advance IMO.

Who is burning them at the stake?  The media?  I certainly didn't mean to count them out.  I was actually very suprised last night.  Not just about the offense but how tough the Nuggets were in a physical aspect.  Nene was using some brute force in the middle and AI wasn't man handling Tony but just using his physical gift of speed to torch him.

Reality, Kobe was taken out because of energy.  At that point in the game he had been playing heavy minutes and they wanted to conserve him for the last part.  Usually he gets a rest for a while at the begging of the 4th up until the 8 minute mark but did not.

Barbosa torching Smush was annoying as a Laker fan but cool to see as b-ball fan.  I've been saying it for months now, Smush gambles too much.  You gamble on Barbosa and he will get to the rim for a layup in a split second.  This is the problem I have with Nash getting another MVP award...when Barbosa is in the team still plays at a high level.  He could run the point and they would still be a decent team. 

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 12:11:04 PM »
Carmelo and AI can be scary when they are both allowed to drop 60 points on you.  what I did not get is why Pop took Bowen OFF Iverson and put Tony back on him.  Towards the end of the game when bruce was on him, Iverson was lookiong REALLY frustrated, given Carmelo was holden up, but just think about it, disrupt AI and make Carmelo carry the whole load. POP you need to keep AI out of the picture!  arrrggghh!
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »
Carmelo and AI can be scary when they are both allowed to drop 60 points on you.  what I did not get is why Pop took Bowen OFF Iverson and put Tony back on him.  Towards the end of the game when bruce was on him, Iverson was lookiong REALLY frustrated, given Carmelo was holden up, but just think about it, disrupt AI and make Carmelo carry the whole load. POP you need to keep AI out of the picture!  arrrggghh!

Pretty sure Pop will make the adjustment and play Bowen on AI more.  I say let Anthony get his but stop AI.  The reason I say that is AI is a better all around play maker then Anthony is.  Melo can score but AI is much better at making plays for himself and others.  If you give AI the freedom to run around you are going to get torched by him or someone else.  Melo is more of a one on one player, not that AI isnt, but he has made a bigger effort to share the ball over the past two seasons.

The playoffs this year are very exciting, I am actually interested in more of the series now that I saw how all the game 1's turned out.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 12:27:17 PM »
I was otherwise occupied for the Laker game but watched SA/Den and GS/Dal.

No way, even with the 2 scoring machines in Denver, San Antonio's defense allows this to happen all series long, but even if they slow them down, the Spurs have no way to stop Iverson on a regular basis if they stay single coverage on him, he will light up any one on one coverage you care to try, they have to force Anthony to beat them and clamp down hard on Iverson, double and harrass him all game and let Carmelo do the damage. At least they have a shot at slowng Anthony down one on one, not Iverson. I still think there is too much experience and too solid a defense to not overcome this first year Denver team, and I don't see Denver playing that kind of defense all series, certainly not enough to stop Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili consistantly, you're correct, Lurker, people are breaking out the shovels and burying the Spurs waaaay too early.

I must say though, Golden State ran Dallas' legs right off them yesterday, and they are very young and very fast, methinks them capable of this all series, which will give Dallas fits. GS was so emotional and energetic is was ridiculous, if they settle down in their shot selection but keep that speed and energy, these boys could push this to 7, they just flat seem to have the Mavericks number, and that swarming defense they were playing left Dirk so confused he didn't know which way to turn, 4-16 and 0-2 from 3 point land while having what seemed like half the Warriors in his face all the time. GS is as young and as fast as Dallas and while Dallas can outshoot them, the Warriors can certainly keep it close enough to keep them in the game, and I daresay make a real series of it if they keep the kind of defensive pressure up that I saw last night. On the offensive side I saw no Maverick capable of stopping their give and goes and high pick and rolls and Baron Davis appears as deadly from anywhere on the floor as Nowitskis, and they were a terror on the boards and hustling for loose balls as well, what a great game it was! I loved the look of disgust on Cuban's face, the disillusioned, disgusted, pathetic look on his arrogant, loud-mouthed face! If this game is any indication, Dirk is really cementing his rep as a playoff choker, I still think Dallas takes this series but only the Lakers upsetting  Phoenix could make me happier that a GS shocker, Go Nellie! Go Warriors!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:33:49 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 12:40:40 PM »
Reality, Kobe was taken out because of energy.  At that point in the game he had been playing heavy minutes and they wanted to conserve him for the last part.  Usually he gets a rest for a while at the begging of the 4th up until the 8 minute mark but did not.
Whether or not for rest he definitely was in playmaker mode the first couple possessions he was back.
The play on which he went out Kobe took the ballupcourt.  Crossed halfcourt, did 9 dribbles and shot.
Back in at 5:00, he did a three point fake airball shot ala Jim Valvano NC State had the shot (it was really a pass) come down to Odom two feet from the basket.  Odom clanked the shot, got the O rebound and clanked again.
That was a good pass by Kobe and something he could do a lot of if the other oafs on the Lakers were ready.
Next time up he acted like he was driving towards the middle and stopped and did a nifty shuffle bounce pass to Kwame.  Over to Odom who turned it over again.
"Sold" the Suns very well that he was gonna shoot again prior to the nifty bounce pass.

Barbosa torching Smush was annoying as a Laker fan but cool to see as b-ball fan.  I've been saying it for months now, Smush gambles too much.  You gamble on Barbosa and he will get to the rim for a layup in a split second. 
Injury to insult was then fouling Barbosa for the 2+1.  Barbosa Lakers did this a couple times down the stretch.
Pet peeve of mine is NBA players doing the intentional foul but not making sure shot is missed.

How'd you like Diaws flop when Kwame gave him a light shove.
Please penalize the flopper like hockey does....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:11:19 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »
How'd you like Diaws flop when Kwame gave him a light shove.
Please penalize the flopper like hockey does....

As much as that was a flop the fact that Kwame did the lazy arm shove really got me mad.  How lazy and/or dumb do you have to be to NOT box out down the stretch of a close game.  That was sooooooooooooo Kwame!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"