Author Topic: Is Elton Brand KG Jr?  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Is Elton Brand KG Jr?
« on: April 10, 2007, 11:42:30 PM »
KG is 12 seasons in this year, another one with either little or mostly no playoff success.  Sure they might win the ping pong ball and get Greg Oden.  That would change things.  Even Durant would create some buzz in the land of 10,000 lakes.  Then again they might not get that ping pong ball.  MN now has to either deal by the trading deadline or certainly 2007-8 will be KGs last in MN.  He could then go anywhere, and to the Spurs for minimum would be the right choice.  Or he could go to L.A. along with SuperManu GNob should the Spurs fold in 2007 playoffs.  But realistically, have KGs best years gone for naught?  Of course they have.  Altho $125 million has taken a little of the sting out.

Elton Brand is concluding this his 8th season on what all indications are will be yet another Clips fold job and missing the playoffs.  With the 6 year contract he signed in 2004 with The Donald, does this assure that Elton will simply be KG Jr. into his early 30s? 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Is Elton Brand KG Jr?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:21:14 AM »
Yes.  The Clips will not trade E because they got a pretty good deal on him.  They will probably stand pat with what they have with the exception of Magette.  I doubt the Clips will spend any significant amount of money to improve the team.  They will have to get someone to man the point but I doubt they pay any major money.  IMO KG should go east, he could put a few of the contendors over the top and ensure a trip to the finals, it's just too tough in the West.  Then again, because of the age TD and Nash could flame out quickly and make the West as wide open as the East.  It would be very interesting to see what KG could do in Cleveland, LAL or Utah.  If he were to go to any of the other contendors it would look like coattail ridding.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:43:55 AM »
KG isn't going to accept the minimum to come help the Lakers or the Spurs.  That's a pipe dream.  Put down the pipe!

KG has two objectives as I see it now.

1.  Find a team that he can win a championship with.

2. Get paid what he's worth for being a top-level NBA player.

I think this precludes him going to a loaded team with Salary Cap issues, so no Detroit or Miami.  He has enough talent to put a team that's close over the top, and possibly even enough to take a .500 club up to contender status.

I don't know the guy, or what he thinks is important to him.  He has plenty of money thanks to his original contract with Minn. But that doesn't mean he's on sale.  He's not some over-the-hill player desperate for a ring yet.

Washington, Phila, maybe Atlanta, he could take one of them and push them up to contender status.  He should focus on one that actually has a Center, so he can play PF. That's not so critical in the East, but when he plays some of the teams out West, he needs to be at his right position.

As far as Elton goes, it seems the Clippers are trying to get better. They're putting at least as much into their team as the Lakers are. He's young enough that he should stay put as long as he sees the Clips are actually trying to build around him.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:24:46 AM »
Going to Philly or ATL is a waste of time.

If he doesn't care how he wins a ring then he should sign for the min, or as close as possible, with Detroit, Dallas, SA, PHX and possibly Miami.  If he wants to put a middle of the road team over the top he should goto Cleveland, LAL, Utah, Houston, Chicago or Denver.  IMO the best fits for KG are Cleveland, Denver, LAL, Utah in that order.  I don't think he would do well in Houston or Chicago, although he'd be a perfect position fit in Houston, their style of play and being the 3rd option would not work out well.  Denver would be a very interesting fit, he would flip between 1st and 3rd option on the team, something he doesn't mind, KG never seemed to want to be "the man".

IMO KG needs to be the second banana on a title contendor who's already got a star on the team.  That narrows it down to Cleveland, LAL and Denver.  Utah would be a more balanced attack but I don't know how AK and KG would co-exist, a front line of Okur, KG and AK would be the best in the league.

Of course I'd like to see KG with Kobe but pairing KG with LeBron would be just as exciting.  Having him in Denver would probably provide the most bang for you buck with their stacked scoring roster.  I think KG's lunch bucket game would make Denver a legit title contendor.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:38:57 AM »
I don't know what kind of legacy he wants to leave in the NBA, he is already recognized as being one of the best ever, besides being a classy guy. I do know he wants a ring, so going to a .500 club to make them a contender really wouldn't get him anywhere, however going to a team that is missing one mojor piece to me is the obvious choice.

I will only argue here for why the Lakers makes sense, and let others argue the different team that fit this category, Rick made a good point (gasp!), Garnett at his natural position as opposed to center duty makes sense in LA because Bynum, is developing and taking some frontcourt pressure off him would only speed that along. Garnett I believe would co-exist very well with Kobe because unlike Shaq or Kobe, Kevin has never diplayed an ego that constantly needs to be massaged and fed, he is unselfish on the floor and a great all around team mate, who would help LA where they deperately need it, defensively, and give them the 1-2 scoring threat so needed in today's NBA, his natural basketball smarts would make him a quick study for the triangle and I just drool at the thought of him recieving those great Luke Walton passes in the post. Plus, unless I'm mistaken here, and someone correct me if I am wrong, LA is in the rare for them situation where they have cap space.

Garnett wouldn't make LA a playoff team, they already are that albeit just barely, he would make them a serious threat in the west, I daresay the team to beat.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:09:01 AM »
Laker Fan,

I don't know about the 1-2 scoring punch, while it has been that way in the past with the Lakers, ever since then it's been more about a main weapon with alot of support instead of two dominant players.  Detroit did it with no super star, SA does it with TD and the rest, Miami was kind of a hybrid, Shaq was not the threat he used to be but Wade was dominant. 

The current front runners don't have the 1-2 scoring punch, PHX, SA and Dallas have one dominant player with a great supporting cast, Detroit is still Detroit.  It would be interesting if LA or Cleveland were to get KG if the 1-2 punch could beat out a better overall talanted team.

IMO KG in LA would give the Lakers what they need to get over the top, assumming they keep certain key pieces like Odom, Walton, Bynum and Turiaf.  IMO it would put LA in the top 3 most talented teams.  Having Brown, Turiaf and the guy from Detroit on the bench would make them deep.  I'm not sure who would be the starting SF.  IMO it would make sense to have Odom come off the bench and lead the second squad.  Kobe, KG, Walton and Bynum/Brown would hold down the fort against any starting 5, bringing Lamar off the bench would be devastating.

All just a pipe dream I know but if you can dream of winning the lotto you can dream KG!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:59:45 AM »
IMO KG in LA would give the Lakers what they need to get over the top, assumming they keep certain key pieces like Odom, Walton, Bynum and Turiaf.  IMO it would put LA in the top 3 most talented teams. 

All just a pipe dream I know but if you can dream of winning the lotto you can dream KG! 
Therin lies the problem.  MN will want back for Garnett, and from LAL that will certainly include Bynum.
LAL would become immediately interesting for 2008 and 2009 playoffs but I'm not sure about 2010 onward.
Oh wait, Kareem for Dave Meyers, Magic for Gail Goodrich, Michael Thompson for Uwe Blab etc.
The dream lives!

Spurs could trade SuperManu or Tony P but then what would be the point, one key piece for another.

If MN decides to trade anytime from now until before next seasons deadline, what are the rules for a 10 year vet on the same team like Garnett.
Do NBA players have any kind of trade veto powers?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:19:22 AM »
I don't know what kind of legacy he wants to leave in the NBA, he is already recognized as being one of the best ever, besides being a classy guy. I do know he wants a ring, so going to a .500 club to make them a contender really wouldn't get him anywhere, however going to a team that is missing one mojor piece to me is the obvious choice.

I will only argue here for why the Lakers makes sense, and let others argue the different team that fit this category, Rick made a good point (gasp!), Garnett at his natural position as opposed to center duty makes sense in LA because Bynum, is developing and taking some frontcourt pressure off him would only speed that along. Garnett I believe would co-exist very well with Kobe because unlike Shaq or Kobe, Kevin has never diplayed an ego that constantly needs to be massaged and fed, he is unselfish on the floor and a great all around team mate, who would help LA where they deperately need it, defensively, and give them the 1-2 scoring threat so needed in today's NBA, his natural basketball smarts would make him a quick study for the triangle and I just drool at the thought of him recieving those great Luke Walton passes in the post. Plus, unless I'm mistaken here, and someone correct me if I am wrong, LA is in the rare for them situation where they have cap space.

Garnett wouldn't make LA a playoff team, they already are that albeit just barely, he would make them a serious threat in the west, I daresay the team to beat.

Uggh Dan, LA is a .500 ballclub.  So it Washington and believe it or not, so is Philly after the AI trade.  Would LA give up Bynum or Mihm to get him?  If Jerry West was still there, you could convince me that he could make it happen, but Cupcake? 

Denver would be a good place, but I doubt that Denver could accomodate AI, 'Melo and KG under their salary cap.

Philly could at least give back Minn. a big man or two in exchange. 

Cleveland would be a good place, I think he and LeBron would do pretty well together, Illgauskas could still be serviceable at Center with KG along side.  But I don't know what Cleveland could trade to Minn for KG.

It's not just where KG wants to go, it's where Minn can get something in return.   And, I doubt he will come cheap. 

I know LA fans would love him there, but would they trade Kobe to get him?  And if they did, would they still be competitive.

Philly might offer Igoudala and Dalembert to get KG, could LA offer anything comparable?   

McHale may realize that it's time to trade him, but he's not going to give him away.  Any team that wants him is going to have to give something up.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 11:25:54 AM »
I do see your point about 1-2 punch where Phoenix is concerned, they have so many scorers it's hard to single anyone player out, and of course Nash make all their scorers look like world beaters, only MArion I believe, is under 18 ppg of their starters, so point well taken there.

SA likewise is offense by committee but I think Ginobili is more of a factor than people give him credit, and when Parker is hot, his slashing gives defenses fits, so really they have a 3 man scoring threat.

Dallas I believe relies on Josh Howard to take pressure off Nowitski and his scoring (and Terry's) goes along way toward allowing Nowitski to operate by keeping defenses honest, although truth be told, Dirk can score from anywhere on the floor, anytime.

I suppose what I mean about 1-2 punch is that LA, while talented (despite their recent play) don't have a real serious frontcourt threat Odom notwithstanding, and they are massively inept defensively of late, Garnett changes that whole dynamic because while they are talented, they are young and inexperienced and the pressure on Kobe to put this team on his back is too much. Kevin would bring instant relief to him and give LA as scary a frontcourt as any in the NBA, assuming Bynum lives up to his potential, as has been pointed out when Kidd's name came up, a super efficient PG is not a pre-requisite for an effective offense and this team could lose Parker and not miss a beat, if Garnett was aboard. I think if Kevin came to LA and they gelled as a team, given the lack of ego's (except of course Kobe's) on the squad, and as you mentioned, Odom off the bench, they would be scary on both ends of the court. Another of LA's weaknesses would be instantly solved with Garnett taking over the boards.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:33:22 AM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
Yes.  The Clips will not trade E because they got a pretty good deal on him.  They will probably stand pat with what they have with the exception of Magette.  I doubt the Clips will spend any significant amount of money to improve the team. 
Does this mean Chris Kavemans 6 years at 11 mil + was a collosal mistake?  I say absolutely.  Pushed for, nay demanded by Dumbleavy.  W.O.W. are you still big on Dunleavy?  They could have let Kavemen play out his contract while trading Livingston for A.I. but nooooo. 

It's not looking good for Elton Brand.  Yes, i say he is KG Jr.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:38:09 AM »

Uggh Dan, LA is a .500 ballclub.  So it Washington and believe it or not, so is Philly after the AI trade.  Would LA give up Bynum or Mihm to get him?  If Jerry West was still there, you could convince me that he could make it happen, but Cupcake? 

True but unlike the .500 clubs you mentioned alongside of them, LA has good talent and are playing well below their potential right now, IMO this is due all the injuries and their inablility to put it all back together in time for a playoff run, not griping about it it is just a fact that shot them in the behind, otherwise they were at least a second round tema this year. Apples and oranges Rick.
Dan

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
And I say KG is Karl Malone Jr.  So Brand is Malone III.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 12:39:28 PM »
Brand, like KG can opt out after 2007-8 and be free for start of '08-9 season when he'll only be 30 years old.
Not as bad as i thought.
During next season maybe he could even insist that he will opt out in 08 and see if The Donald would trade him.  Not likely.

lurker Karl Malone got three cracks at the Finals 97 98 and 04, albeit the last one he got injured two games in.

Spurs have a ton of cap space starting in 2008.  Eltie Brand or KG woohoo!!  There is our athletic 3 lurker, three years late but still there.  I know you are gonna be a boobird and call them 4s.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Spurs have a ton of cap space starting in 2008.  Eltie Brand or KG woohoo!!  There is our athletic 3 lurker, three years late but still there.  I know you are gonna be a boobird and call them 4s.

And why should I call a couple players that exclusively play the PF position athletic 3s?  Might as well say we got our athletic 3 already in Tony Parker.  But I suppose you will be a downer and say he is a point guard.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »

And why should I call a couple players that exclusively play the PF position athletic 3s?  Might as well say we got our athletic 3 already in Tony Parker.  But I suppose you will be a downer and say he is a point guard.
If we get KG or Elton Brand you can call Eva Longoria our athletic 3 for all i care. :D
lurker you are turning into a crotchety old fart.  See Rolando Blackman for graceful aging.
If we get KG or Eltie Brand will you accept my invitation to dance with me?