Author Topic: Poor Spurs...only 2-1 vs Suns this season  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Poor Spurs...only 2-1 vs Suns this season
« on: April 06, 2007, 05:08:05 AM »
I'm have to admit that all you nay sayers must be right.  There is no way the Spurs can hang with the big 2 in the West.  They looked horrible last night.  Obviously it is time to trade Duncan for an athletic 3 and sign Scola.  This team has missed any window of ooportunity that was there.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Poor Spurs...only 2-1 vs Suns this season
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:06:26 AM »
Premature exhilaration.

Lakers are 2-1 vs Spurs.  With the 1 being OT.

But it was a nice win vs Phx.  Frankie Elson getting 27 minutes.  Tony Parker 39 pts.  Bowens back seeming fine and containing Nash.  Finley 5-7 on treys while having double digit rebounds for the 1st time in his career.

With all that Phx still closed to 85-81 under two minutes.....

Highlight was Duncan blocks, catches block, ahead to GNob, bounce pass to Parker, layup 2+1. ;D

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:36:03 AM »
And on the flip side...premature pessimism by you and other "real Spursies".  Not too mention the east coast nay sayers.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »
And on the flip side...premature pessimism by you and other "real Spursies".  Not too mention the east coast nay sayers. 

Noooo.   I've been honking TallBall with Frankie E all along.  29-2 when Frankie goes for 20+.
Plus last year Spurs were #1 seed.  So this is a nice end of reg season win, that's about it.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:30:38 AM »
*pats self on back*  As a true spursyesesyesyes I've been saying for a while the Spurs are a better team then the Suns and will bounce them in the playoffs.

The Lakers that beat the Spurs two times is a different Laker squad then you currently see playing right now so I wouldn't really use that as an example.  That Laker team was playing more cohesive basketball and better defense then they are now.  The Suns team however is pretty much the same team they (Spurs) have played a few times this season.  The size of the Spurs on the inside is just too much for the Suns.  I am sorry, love Amare to death, but he couldn't guard Tim Duncan if he had David Robinson behind him.

Props on the win, nice to get those jabs in right before the playoffs just to get inside their heads.   I'll be at the Lakers/PHX game on Sunday so hopefully they don't take a beating on the Lakers for losing to the Spurs to try to do the same.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:51:47 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:06:44 AM »
Big props to the Spurs.  That was a great win that had a lot of meaning as these teams head to the playoffs.  There are clearly only three teams worth a hoot in the NBA and it will be interesting to see who makes it out of the west.  The Spurs absolutely stifled the Suns potent offense and when you play D like that, you always give your team a chance to win it all. 

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 10:12:36 AM »
A very impressive win for the Spurs.  They were able to control the pace of the game and prevent Phoenix from running into the ground.

During the first quarter the game was at the Spurs pace, but the Suns were actually leading.  Still, they only scored 20, and Nash couldn't get free enough to make the good passes.

As time went on, I thought, great job by Pop, but they won't be able to keep up that defensive pressure the whole game.  But as I was watching, the Spurs started pulling away.  Tony Parker was having a great game and changed the complexion of it, by being so aggressive in going to the basket and making outside shots.  The Spurs executed their offense exceptionally well, it wasn't just Duncan and Parker, the whole team was passing and making good plays while containing Phoenix.

With all of that, when Duncan went out for a rest, the Suns came back and almost made a game of it.  IMO, this only demontstrates the Spurs are competitive and right with the Suns at least for a game.  You can bet the next time these two teams meet, D'Antoni will have a different game plan. 

One might even say the Spurs were using an illegal defense, but the Suns didn't expose that and didn't do enough shooting from the outside.  We all know they're capable of hitting outside shots when they're open.  That they kept trying to force it in against the Spurs was their downfall.  The Spurs spacing was so good that the Suns couldn't get to the line.

The Suns have no one to guard Duncan, but the Spurs did have enough talent to stop Nash.  If the Suns play the same way the Spurs will beat them again.  IMO, in a series you will see adjustment after adjustment by each team in an attempt to find a weakness in the other.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 10:19:18 AM »
Well, Rick, you would think after losing to the Spurs year after year that D'Antonio would have made some adjustments...

After a 92-85 loss at the AT&T Center on Thursday night, the Suns have lost 11 of their past 14 regular-season games against the Spurs. Counting the playoffs, that slump balloons to 15 of 19.

And even though these streaks can reverse in a heartbeat, and even though the momentum in the average playoff series changes 15 times, there are compelling reasons to believe the Spurs' upper hand is legitimate, and built to last.

It's because Amare Stoudemire still is prone to defensive lapses, and Tim Duncan still is prone to make the Suns pay for them. What most people remember about the 2005 Western Conference finals was that the Spurs couldn't stop Stoudemire. What many forget is that Stoudemire couldn't stop Duncan, and that trend continued Thursday. Duncan outscored Stoudemire 22-15, looking as nimble and as powerful as he has all season.

edited to add:  quote form local paper...link: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/mfinger/stories/MYSA040607.04D.COL.BKNfinger.spurs.3e509a5.html
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 10:21:46 AM »
A You can bet the next time these two teams meet, D'Antoni will have a different game plan. 

You are joking right?  D'Antoni has ONE game plan....follow Nash.  The guy cannot counter effectively, he proved that in two series last year before they got bounced.  He is actually lucky the Laker role players went so cold or he would have been exposed even more then he has already.  You cannot not honestly say he is anyint but piss poor at making adjustments when he let Kwame Brown and Luke Walton take advantage of him for 3 games.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:24:38 AM by westkoast »

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »
You can only adjust to what your opponent is doing if you have the players to execute the plan.  And don't expect D'Antoni to show you his best stuff in a regular season game- you will see it in the playoffs, thus shortening the time for Pop to react and counter.

The Spurs did the best job I've ever seen on Nash, he was throwing the ball away making dumb passes- no doubt a result of the Spurs covering the regular passing lanes.

The Suns still will have home-court if these two teams meet, based on current standings.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 11:54:57 AM »
You can only adjust to what your opponent is doing if you have the players to execute the plan.  And don't expect D'Antoni to show you his best stuff in a regular season game- you will see it in the playoffs, thus shortening the time for Pop to react and counter.

The Spurs did the best job I've ever seen on Nash, he was throwing the ball away making dumb passes- no doubt a result of the Spurs covering the regular passing lanes.

The Suns still will have home-court if these two teams meet, based on current standings.

While that is true Rick, great coaches have found ways to make other adjustments to stop the bleeding.  For example, If player A cannot guard player B in the post then if you pressure the passer more it is harder to get into the post.

In the playoffs D'Antoni has not made any real adjustments in the last 4 series I've watched where he was the coach.  Not sure why you think all the sudden he will do that.  The guy looks like a great coach because Nash is such a great player. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 12:27:59 PM »
Grasshoppers,

March and April.
Spurs lost last two reg season games vs Phx and Dallas (4 total).  Final game vs Dallas was on last day of season, Spurs had clinched even tho both finished 60-22.  So lets toss that one out.

Playoffs.
4-2 over Phx R1
4-2 over Dallas WCFs.

April 4th, 2004.  The Spurs punked the MOAT Lakers 95-89 for their 6th straight win.  They would finish the reg season with 5 more wins for 11 straight. 
Playoffs: swept Memphis and beat that same MOAT Laker team by 10 pts two games in a row.
17 straight wins, 2-0 playoff lead on Lakers.

Sun May 9th - May 15th:  Lost 4 in a row to the Lakers.  Eliminated.

April Spurs were 6-5 including a 104-68 loss to Dallas.  Last reg season game vs Phx was in March, Phx won 107-101.
Playoffs 4-1 over Phx on way to 2005 Championship.

So while it's nice to see W.O.W. jumping off the Dallas bandwaggon and onto the Spurs wagon, westkoast jumping on the Finley bandwaggon, msc viewing some very good hoop by the Spurs last night, lurker thinking the Spurs have no need for improvement in any areas as the title was won last night, it needs to be kept in proper perspective.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 12:31:21 PM »
Grasshoppers,

March and April.
Spurs lost last two reg season games vs Phx and Dallas (4 total).  Final game vs Dallas was on last day of season, Spurs had clinched even tho both finished 60-22.  So lets toss that one out.

Playoffs.
4-2 over Phx R1
4-2 over Dallas WCFs.

April 4th, 2004.  The Spurs punked the MOAT Lakers 95-89 for their 6th straight win.  They would finish the reg season with 5 more wins for 11 straight. 
Playoffs: swept Memphis and beat that same MOAT Laker team by 10 pts two games in a row.
17 straight wins, 2-0 playoff lead on Lakers.

Sun May 9th - May 15th:  Lost 4 in a row to the Lakers.  Eliminated.

April Spurs were 6-5 including a 104-68 loss to Dallas.  Last reg season game vs Phx was in March, Phx won 107-101.
Playoffs 4-1 over Phx on way to 2005 Championship.

So while it's nice to see W.O.W. jumping off the Dallas bandwaggon and onto the Spurs wagon, westkoast jumping on the Finley bandwaggon, msc viewing some very good hoop by the Spurs last night, lurker thinking the Spurs have no need for improvement in any areas as the title was won last night, it needs to be kept in proper perspective.

You need to decide if you are a Spurs fan through and through or if you are only a fan to argue with other posters.  I mean the true colors are showing as why you became a Spurs fan in the first place....if it wasn't obvious to other posters already.

Jumping on the Finley bandwagon?  I've supported him since the minute they said he was going to sign him.  I said it was a good move and have said he is a good fit since.  Use the search function, it is there for a reason.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »
WK, you may be right about that! 

I simply assumed it was D'Antoni that made the Suns competitive last year when they lost Amare.  I don't get to watch them often enough to really know, but I am very impressed with their talent and ability to put up a lot of points.

I've always had a soft spot for coaches who maximize offense.  Having lived through the Larry Brown era in Philly, I have respect for defense, but defense alone makes for ugly, unentertaining games.  Don't know about the rest of you, but the "Thug ball" of the 80's really annoyed me.  Riley with the Knicks.  Mahorn and Ruland in Washington.  That Detroit team with Isiah. Ugly foul-prone violence tolerated basketball, really turned me off of the NBA game. 

Pop is clearly influenced by Brown's philosophy and focuses on Defense first.  You really can't argue with a team that has won championships by playing that way.

No team has ever been able to run away from other teams and win by outscoring them consistently - or rather been able to win a championship playing that way. I thought- and still think that the Suns have enough talent and such a fluid offense that they could get away with it.

Last night, I saw the Spurs get the better of them.  They couldn't get open easy looks, which is what they live by.  When they're held below 40% from the field and can't get to the line, they're going down.  I figured the addition of Amare would put them over the top. 

They are clearly better than they were last year, their regular season record looks great.  But when they play quality teams like the Spurs, it's a different story. 

To be honest, the Spurs looked great last night- I didn't think Tony Parker could play that well over the course of a game.  But the Spurs played great- on both ends of the floor. They're clearly ready for the playoffs and ready to go deep into the later rounds.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 12:54:12 PM »
WK, you may be right about that! 

I simply assumed it was D'Antoni that made the Suns competitive last year when they lost Amare.  I don't get to watch them often enough to really know, but I am very impressed with their talent and ability to put up a lot of points.

I've always had a soft spot for coaches who maximize offense.  Having lived through the Larry Brown era in Philly, I have respect for defense, but defense alone makes for ugly, unentertaining games.  Don't know about the rest of you, but the "Thug ball" of the 80's really annoyed me.  Riley with the Knicks.  Mahorn and Ruland in Washington.  That Detroit team with Isiah. Ugly foul-prone violence tolerated basketball, really turned me off of the NBA game. 

Pop is clearly influenced by Brown's philosophy and focuses on Defense first.  You really can't argue with a team that has won championships by playing that way.

No team has ever been able to run away from other teams and win by outscoring them consistently - or rather been able to win a championship playing that way. I thought- and still think that the Suns have enough talent and such a fluid offense that they could get away with it.

Last night, I saw the Spurs get the better of them.  They couldn't get open easy looks, which is what they live by.  When they're held below 40% from the field and can't get to the line, they're going down.  I figured the addition of Amare would put them over the top. 

They are clearly better than they were last year, their regular season record looks great.  But when they play quality teams like the Spurs, it's a different story. 

To be honest, the Spurs looked great last night- I didn't think Tony Parker could play that well over the course of a game.  But the Spurs played great- on both ends of the floor. They're clearly ready for the playoffs and ready to go deep into the later rounds.

Nash is such a great player that not only does he make players around him look good, he makes coaches look very good.  D'Antoni benefits greatly from Nash' passing and leadership abilities.  He doesn't need to run complicated sets because Nash creates so well.   If you were to take Nash off that team I think that D'Antoni would be exposed for being a very average coach.  He is known for being an offensive coach but to me I don't see anything on the offensive end that would lead me to believe this is his doing.  I see Nash run the pick and roll with Amare (that is a no brainer).  I see Nash running the break and making PERFECT bounce passes from half court to a streaking Barbosa.  To me that has very little to do with Mike and alot to do with Nash.

Personally I think the Suns could focus more in on defense and that is something D'Antoni should be working on with the squad.  That is also where the adjustments in the playoffs need to be made but he has yet to really do that.   I do agree with what you were saying about having the players to do that...he won't be able to control tempo because his team is not going to really out rebound anyone.