Author Topic: Oden vs Florida  (Read 1838 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Oden vs Florida
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:37:59 AM »
Whom do you like?

I've now seen more of Oden and definitely project him in 1st tier NBA center territory.  Big stretch, i know.   By that i mean i now think he is a slam dunk to be a top 15 all time, no more maybes at all.  Great anticipation on his blocks.  Unless he gets stuck with some repressive idoitic Offensive coach like Van Grunty or Popavich, he will rock on O also when that right wrist heals.

Florida completely outhustled UCLA, and i was quite surprised to see UCLA lie down and die in the last 5 minutes.  Florida in an obvious stall ball control the clock offense and UCLA lies back as if time was not of the essence.  UCLA looked like they had never played a game together, Florida played great team ball.

I'm gonna flip a coin.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Re: Oden vs Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 06:54:47 AM »
It's a shame the 76ers have made the Oden/Durant debate moot.  Hopefully Oden's teammate declares for the draft.  I'd love to see the 76ers go for him if they end up around 7th than reach for a project center.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »
It's a shame the 76ers have made the Oden/Durant debate moot.  Hopefully Oden's teammate declares for the draft.  I'd love to see the 76ers go for him if they end up around 7th than reach for a project center. 
What they hoped to have accomplished this past month i have no idea.
Oden is the answer.  I don't care that Florida won, Oden is by far the best player to enter the NBA and will provide immediate impact.

Tanking for Odem, while perhaps morally objectable to some, is the right course for teams with no chance of improvement the next 4 years.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
The Sixers do have a shot at Oden?Durant, just not as good as it would have been had they dropped a few more games.

They still have a chance to improve their standings, and since they can't make the playoffs, I think they should tank as many as possible.

I can't believe Cheeks is running Igoudala into the ground for no good reason.  He should be resting.  If the team can't win without him, that's too bad.  Why should be have to play 45 min. a game when he's got a bad back?  That's just bad coaching. 

How you finish the season has no impact on next year if you have a bad team.  The best way to get better is to build on what you do know.  The Sixers know they are getting adequate production from Center, and from Andre Miller and Igoudala. 

I really liked what Shavlik Randolph was starting to do before he got hurt, if he can recover I think he will be a good addition to Dalembert and Hunter up front.  Put the two Andre's in the backcourt and see what that team can do.  Unfortunately, they can't do that now, since Shavlik isn't ready to go. 

What they can do is get Louis Wiliams and Bobby Jones NBA experience at a time when it won't hurt the teams objectives.  That is the opportunity Cheeks shouldn't miss.

Billy should tell Cheeks to knock it off, Mo is back next year anyway.  Let the younger players gain the experience, and see who is willing to step it up if Andre is out.  It's not like one additional player will make this team a real contender.  If they don't have the talent on their roster, they should at least figure out who the weak links are, so they can figure out which positions to focus on. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:54:58 PM »
The Sixers do have a shot at Oden?Durant, just not as good as it would have been had they dropped a few more games.

They still have a chance to improve their standings, and since they can't make the playoffs, I think they should tank as many as possible.

I can't believe Cheeks is running Igoudala into the ground for no good reason.  He should be resting.  If the team can't win without him, that's too bad.  Why should be have to play 45 min. a game when he's got a bad back?  That's just bad coaching. 
Right now they are 9th.  Lowest ranked team in history to score lotto i believe is 7th. 
Not sure about pick #2s history.
Yes if they want to improve their pick they need to join the rest and tank.

Which sucks, because then the Tankers affect the standings of playoff teams that are jostling for seeding.
However with the system being what it is, tank!

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:40:14 PM »
No, right now they are tied for 6th worst, with Portland.

The lottery leaders are:

1. Memphis    19-56
2. Boston      23-50
3. Milwaukee 25-47
4. Atlanta     27-47
5. Charlotte  28-46
6. Philadelphia 29-44
7. Portland     29-44

It would be nice if the Sixers could end up with a record worse than Atlanta and Charlotte, maybe even Milwaukee.

The important thing is to protect Igoudala.  There's no good reason for a guy with a bad back to be playing 45 min. a game when the team is playing out the string.  It's just STUPID!

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 03:32:51 PM »
rick, I agree with you re: Igoudala if he is hurt.  However, I just can't get behind a mentality to lose, even if it's for the perceived betterment of the team in the long run.  I can't believe that any player, coach, gm, trainer, water-boy that would tank on purpose is worth their weight in skin and bones.  The logical side of me certainly understands the theory of getting more balls in the lottery, but IMO nothing good can come from a losing mindset.  I'd rather my team played with passion every night win or lose, thereby not getting the best chance in the lotto, than have them phone it in on purpose.

Besides, if you subscribe to Reality's line of conspiracy/paranoia, you'd already understand that the NBA is fixed.  Therefore any attempt to better your team through the draft is an exercise in futility. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:56:38 PM »
^^ Yeah rick, when Derek Fisher set his hands on A.I.s face and left them there as the ref enjoyed the view, you were supposed to be digging it along with msc, the ref and the rest of Laker Nation.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 07:55:42 PM »
^^ Yeah rick, when Derek Fisher set his hands on A.I.s face and left them there as the ref enjoyed the view, you were supposed to be digging it along with msc, the ref and the rest of Laker Nation.

msc, when those wanker Iranians changed their story about the location of the ship you and the Spursies were supposed to be jumping for joy along with Osama, Reality and David Stern.  ???
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"