Author Topic: How many games in a row will Kobe score 50+ pts. ?  (Read 4947 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: How many games in a row will Kobe score 50+ pts. ?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »
1st off how can you Purple n Goldens not know Waltons contract status?  Are renevations at The Laker House that extensive?
Yes, he will be an UFA agent, this is a contract year.

2ndly, how come no one can answer why SuperByns gets so few shot attempts.
He almost always takes good shots, albeit many are short gimmes or dunks.
Nonetheless, i like his moves when one on one.
He's consistenly at or above 50%.

Good question Reality.  The only thing I can think of is that PJ does not feel 100% comfortable with having Bynum a bigger part of the offense because of his decision making.  At times Andrew is not aggressive enough.  He tries to bang one or two times then passes the ball back out but never reposts so of course he doesn't get the ball back.  Or he will set a screen but does not roll to the basket.  When he sets a solid screen for Kobe, Luke, or Lamar and rolls he gets the ball back 9 times out of 10.  I personally would like to see him go at guys more.

His foot work is pretty good for a young guy and he could score on most of the big men on other squads.  However he is still a little light in the pocket compared to couple of the undersized guys.  He is letting guys use their hips and legs to move him more then they should.

In a word koast, inexperience.  They are bringing him along at a pace they are comfortable with, in a few years he will be able to facilitate the offense from the post, while he won't be the primary option he will get a touch in the post to get the team going ala Cartwright for the Bulls or Kareem for the late 80's Lakers.  I don't think people realized how important Kareem was to the Lakers offense despite his scoring dropping off, he got them going on offense, when he was gone Vlade couldn't get it done at that point of his career.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »
2ndly, how come no one can answer why SuperByns gets so few shot attempts.

You just have to watch the game to see why he doesn't get more shots.
You mean he can't be taking shots away from Kobe? :D

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »
"SuperByns" as you like to call him has been very inconsistent.   He still has a lot to learn.  He didn't even play that much in high school and his lack of playing experience really shows at times. 

Let's face it, he's no Fabs!!!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 06:16:51 PM »
"SuperByns" as you like to call him has been very inconsistent.   He still has a lot to learn.  He didn't even play that much in high school and his lack of playing experience really shows at times. 

WHOA there buddy...I coined and TM'd SuperByns before he even played a single minute in the NBA.  Reality does not get credit for predicting the awesome and legendary ability of Andrew Bynum  ;D
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 11:16:28 AM »

WHOA there buddy...I coined and TM'd SuperByns before he even played a single minute in the NBA.  Reality does not get credit for predicting the awesome and legendary ability of Andrew Bynum  ;D

Sorry, westkoast, my bad!!!  Hey, it's your fault for doiing such an accurate parody of the boards most loyal Spurs fan  :D

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 12:39:20 PM »
Sorry, westkoast, my bad!!!  Hey, it's your fault for doiing such an accurate parody of the boards most loyal Spurs fan  :D

No offense koast, but you're boarding on copyright infringment.  You should go with MegaByns or UltraByns or something to that affect.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »

No offense koast, but you're boarding on copyright infringment.  You should go with MegaByns or UltraByns or something to that affect.

Super Byns, SuperBynum, Bill Russel Jr, Kareem's Son are all registered TradeMarks of Koastisdelusional Inc.  MegaByns sounds like a candy.

I own the rights to all those names and I also am the first person to call Bynum the greatest center in the history of the game before he even finished a  history class in High School.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 02:26:22 PM »

SuperByns has been very consistent when it comes to fg%.
Nov 50
Dec 60
Jan 56
Feb 54
Mar 58

The Lakers have only "unleashed" SuperByns shot attempts at 5 or more 37 games.  27 of those, SuperByns has responded with 50% plus, thus only 10 under 50%.

I understand they do not want to rush him, and perhaps letting him taste success in small dozes is better then pressuring him into a Kwame-Wizards-Asshole Jordan Pressure type collapse.  But the reason is not because SuperByns is not putting the ball in the hole.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »

SuperByns has been very consistent when it comes to fg%.
Nov 50
Dec 60
Jan 56
Feb 54
Mar 58

The Lakers have only "unleashed" SuperByns shot attempts at 5 or more 37 games.  27 of those, SuperByns has responded with 50% plus, thus only 10 under 50%.

I understand they do not want to rush him, and perhaps letting him taste success in small dozes is better then pressuring him into a Kwame-Wizards-Asshole Jordan Pressure type collapse.  But the reason is not because SuperByns is not putting the ball in the hole.

A big portion of his problems have been on the defensive side of the court.  He doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with most of the smaller, more athletic big men in the NBA.  He get's his share of blocks purely because of his height, but in terms of position defense he has a looong way to go. 

The box scores don't tell the whole story in the game of basketball.  When you think about it, they really only tell a small part of the story. 

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »
The box scores don't tell the whole story in the game of basketball.  When you think about it, they really only tell a small part of the story. 

This was my response to Reality's post.  There is a lot more to basketball than shooting percentage.  Maybe he has a high FG% because the majority of his shots are offensive putbacks.  Maybe the majority of his turnovers are from offensive plays called for him.  Maybe he is inconsistant in rebounding, defense, or even knowing his spot on the floor in the triangle.  There are so many more questions than just saying that Bynum is shooting over 50% and be under utilized.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 03:55:16 PM »
There are so many more questions than just saying that Bynum is shooting over 50% and be under utilized.

No, no, no, NOOOOO!  It's only because Kobe wants more shots!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »
There are so many more questions than just saying that Bynum is shooting over 50% and be under utilized.

No, no, no, NOOOOO!  It's only because Kobe wants more shots!

Then he would be challenging Wilt's record for scoring average.  It is only because he is playing within the triangle that he has been held to such low scoring.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2007, 05:35:44 PM »

This was my response to Reality's post.  There is a lot more to basketball than shooting percentage.  Maybe he has a high FG% because the majority of his shots are offensive putbacks.  Maybe the majority of his turnovers are from offensive plays called for him.  Maybe he is inconsistant in rebounding, defense, or even knowing his spot on the floor in the triangle.  There are so many more questions than just saying that Bynum is shooting over 50% and be under utilized.

Funny you mention that because his shooting% for this month is high because of just that reason, offensive put backs.  The last 2-3 games that is where his production has come from.  Don't get me wrong, he takes high % shots when he does shoot but they don't always drop.  He snatches offensive rebounds and is pretty good about going back up with them when he does.

msc is right about the defensive end (he reads plays slow and rotates slow at times)  and that teamed up with his inexpierence (brain farts) he is not being under utilized but rather being brought along at the pace the coaching staff feels comfortable with.  Being in LA is alot of pressure and I don't think they want to put too much on his shoulders at this point in time.  Some Laker fans are just itching for him to be this guy who puts them over the top...he is not the guy at this point in his career and he may never be.  He has the foot work and the body but he needs to improve in many aspects to be used like a big time threat on this squad.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »
Bynums inability to grow long, flowing hair that the Los Angeleno crowds will swoon at and long to shampoo and rinse will be an adjustment that could make or break his career.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »

Very true, Lurker. 

Anyone who's had a the pleasure and pain of watching every Laker game this season would not be saying that Bynum is being under utilized at this point.  He's been given plenty of opportunities to step up.  He has a couple of times, but for the most part as the season has gone on he's been extremely inconsistent and downright disappeared at times.  Hence the drop in PT.  We're seeing this with Farmar as well.  I think it's a combination of a couple of things.  First, scouting in the league; i.e., the other teams have figured out how to defend these guys effectively, where as early on they flew under the radar.  Second is just the fact that they are young players who lack experience and have a ton to learn about the NBA game. 

The verdict is still out on Bynum.  He teases you with his potential, but at this point as WOW stated early on he could easily end up being just another big jouneyman like a Benoit Benjamin <shudder>.