Author Topic: How many games in a row will Kobe score 50+ pts. ?  (Read 4946 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
How many games in a row will Kobe score 50+ pts. ?
« on: March 24, 2007, 04:13:39 PM »
To do it once is pretty spectacular, bu Kobe has done it 4 times in a row, something only Wilt did.  If he does it again, he gets that record all to himself.

One wonders how long he can keep this up, it's got to be a lot of work even for him to put up that many shots in a game.  Also, it doesn't seem like a good thing for the Lakers to rely on Kobe that much.

Still, it is very impressive accomplishment.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many games in a row will Kobe score 50+ pts. ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 05:57:53 PM »
To do it once is pretty spectacular, bu Kobe has done it 4 times in a row, something only Wilt did.  If he does it again, he gets that record all to himself.
Where is writerman?  The Lower Merion Marketer has eons to go.
Wilt did it 7 times in a row in 1961-2 and Kobe can only dream about sniffing Wilts jock.

Other Wilt feats that season.
1 five-game 50 streak
3 four-game 50 streaks
averaged a record 50.4 points.
2 14-game streaks of 40+ points.
65 straight 30 point games.
Wilt scored in the 20s twice that season...all other games were 30 or more.
That entire 80 game season was also part of Wilt's consecutive 20 point game record streak of 126 straight.

The Kobester says his motivation is:
Bryant acknowledged that his scoring streak was spurred by the national debate over whether he was a dirty player after he was suspended twice for elbowing opponents in the face. "For me, that was insulting. To have people talking about something else is a much better thing."

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:03:30 AM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »
A few Kobe Haters are saying he took too many shots to get 50+, and that any of the top stars could get 50 if they horked 30-40 times per game.   I say what the other stars may or may not do aside, to call the Kobesters current streak a horkfest is bogile.  Not only is his floor over 50%, his treys are too i think.  Thus fga% is in the 60%s.  That is fantastic.  Plus they have won every game, the Portland one with plenty of help from Kobes usual three court buddies.  Can some of you purple n golders give us his trey stats?  17-33 with each of the 4 games shooting at least 40% on treys.  What does that fga% out to?  Might hit the 70s.

Jomal, i know you appreciate the Kobesters humility (as we all do), thought you might want to comment on Kobesters continued down to Earth grassy rootedness.  In addition to having land and used cars to sell you in the Hollywood, Malibu and Orange County areas, the Kobester states:

• He claimed he did not know he had 48 points before hitting a tough jumper over Rasual Butler with 5:12 left. "I went up to [assistant coach] Brian Shaw and said, 'Did I get 50 already?' " One player who did know Bryant was on 48 was Butler. "I didn't like being a part of history that way," Butler told me. 

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 06:15:30 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
While I think Kobe's accomplishments are amazing, bordering on god-like, IMO it's much harder to produce those types of numbers as a big man, ala Wilt and Kareem.  Backcourt players can have the ball in their hands as much as they like while a big man needs to be fed.  IMO it's also alot tougher for a player like Kobe who doesn't get much help from his team mates, other than Odom none can create their own shots which makes it easier to focus on Kobe.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 07:48:22 PM »
A few Kobe Haters are saying he took too many shots to get 50+, and that any of the top stars could get 50 if they horked 30-40 times per game.   I say what the other stars may or may not do aside, to call the Kobesters current streak a horkfest is bogile.  Not only is his floor over 50%, his treys are too i think.  Thus fga% is in the 60%s.  That is fantastic.  Plus they have won every game, the Portland one with plenty of help from Kobes usual three court buddies.  Can some of you purple n golders give us his trey stats?  17-33 with each of the 4 games shooting at least 40% on treys.  What does that fga% out to?  Might hit the 70s.

Jomal, i know you appreciate the Kobesters humility (as we all do), thought you might want to comment on Kobesters continued down to Earth grassy rootedness.  In addition to having land and used cars to sell you in the Hollywood, Malibu and Orange County areas, the Kobester states:

• He claimed he did not know he had 48 points before hitting a tough jumper over Rasual Butler with 5:12 left. "I went up to [assistant coach] Brian Shaw and said, 'Did I get 50 already?' " One player who did know Bryant was on 48 was Butler. "I didn't like being a part of history that way," Butler told me. 

That shooting % is really what makes it really impressive.   Alot of players can score 50.  There is no doubt in my mind Bron, AI, Melo, Mcgrady, Wade, etc can do it.  I don't think that is the point.   If a guy is tossing up 30 shots a game and doing it at an above average % then you continue to feed him the ball.  If his jump shot has a 50% chance of going in then let him take 30 shots a game. 

Kobe made a very good point in the paper the other night.  He said that he would not score this many points if it was not for the way the ball moves with Odom and Walton on the court.  Without those two he would not be able to operate as well as he is able to right now on this streak.  Both those guys get him alot of easy points and really help keep the defense on their toes.  If Kobe can focus in on scoring more then play making then you get to see what he is able to do.

IMO it is not the greatest way for the team to be playing.  I personally enjoyed when the scoring was much more balanced at the begging of the season but at this point in time the Lakers need to win games.  If that comes from Kobe scoring 50 each night or if it comes from the whole team in attack mode, does not matter.  The result would be the same.  They cannot afford to lose games with so little being left.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:51:44 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
IMO it is not the greatest way for the team to be playing.  I personally enjoyed when the scoring was much more balanced at the begging of the season but at this point in time the Lakers need to win games.  If that comes from Kobe scoring 50 each night or if it comes from the whole team in attack mode, does not matter.  The result would be the same.  They cannot afford to lose games with so little being left.

This is one of the things I thought about...the fact that the Lakers are winning close games against some of the weaker teams.  That is good as far as keeping the lakers in the playoff hunt (and being the sacrificial lamb for the Spurs  :-* ) but IMO makes them less of a team.  The winning early in the season was from the Lakers playing as a TEAM on both ends of the court.  I just don't get that feeling from this run of games.

BTW I acknowledge that it is still one amazing streak for Kobe...proving again that he is currently the best scorer in the NBA.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »

This is one of the things I thought about...the fact that the Lakers are winning close games against some of the weaker teams.  That is good as far as keeping the lakers in the playoff hunt (and being the sacrificial lamb for the Spurs  :-* ) but IMO makes them less of a team.  The winning early in the season was from the Lakers playing as a TEAM on both ends of the court.  I just don't get that feeling from this run of games.

BTW I acknowledge that it is still one amazing streak for Kobe...proving again that he is currently the best scorer in the NBA.

That is not entirely true Lurker.  Kobe is shouldering a bulk of the scoring but the team is doing alot of other things that have not been getting the press this run has. 

Lamar Odom has been scoring AND rebounding like a mad man.  Last night he had 23 and 20 or 23 and 19 I believe.  The last few games before that he was hovering around 15 rebounds.  Couple of nights ago he was one assist shy of a triple double.  He really is playing at the level he was before the injury which is a little bit of everything.

Luke Walton's passing has not only gave guys much easier, higher % shots but he is allowing Kobe to actually focus in on scoring (Odom also helps in this category).  Walton is also doing his job on the glass and in the paint.  The Lakers decision making has shot up quite a bit since he returned.  I don't think it is by chance the Lakers are 31-17 when he is on the floor and 7-15 when he is not.  While I don't feel he is all-star caliber  I feel he brings alot to this team that makes it perform more fluid.

Bynum and Turiaf both over the last few games have really shown more aggression on both ends of the floor but specifically on the glass.  Last night the Lakers out rebounded GS by 20+.

However, I agree with you that they are not as strong of a team winning this way then they were earlier in the season.  The balanced attack is what they need to stay competitive with the Spurs or Suns in the first round.  I feel they are working back into that as they are starting to get healthy again.  Luke has only been back for 5 of the last 6 games and Brian Cook just returned last night.  Slowly they are getting the players back who were part of that balance at the begging of the year.  The clicking part is what made the balanced attack work so well but since the Lakers have had 4 of their 5 starters out at any given time this year with injuries.

If the Lakers can get back to a more balanced attack and let Kobe take over every once in a while they should be very competitive in the first round.  If there is not enough of a balanced attack then that possibility of beating the Spurs/Suns in the 1st round goes from maybe to slim to none.  Kobe is awesome but never has one man beat another team in the playoffs all by himself.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:09:18 AM by westkoast »

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 11:25:56 AM »
It's nice that the Lakers have won five in a row, but they still aren't playing D at all.  They're beating sub par teams by a couple of points while giving up way over 100.  That is a recipe for disaster, esp. when you're relying on Kobe to shoot upwards of 50% on 30 plus shots.  Yikes! 

That said, it's so great to have Walton back out there.  I didn't realize the significant, yet relatively subtle, positive impact he has on both ends of the floor.  As westkoast mentions above, he's not an all star, but he is such a smart player he always seems to make the right pass, or the right rebound.  He just has a nose for the game and where to be on the floor at the right time.  That was sorely missed while he was out. 

Kobe's accomplishment was nice, but this team needs to improve defensively to make any kind of noise in the playoffs and if they want to improve next season. 

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:32:04 AM »
Is this a contract year for Walton?  Wonder how much he'll be worth after having such a strong season, he really seemed to step it up a couple of notches this year.  He really came out of the gate strong, particularly with his shooting.  I hope the Lakers can hold on to him, George was such a waste but Walton IMO is solid part of the puzzle for the Lakers. 

I hope they can get or develop a decent big man in the paint, they can't do much in the West without one.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:41:26 AM »
Is this a contract year for Walton?  Wonder how much he'll be worth after having such a strong season, he really seemed to step it up a couple of notches this year.  He really came out of the gate strong, particularly with his shooting.  I hope the Lakers can hold on to him, George was such a waste but Walton IMO is solid part of the puzzle for the Lakers. 

I hope they can get or develop a decent big man in the paint, they can't do much in the West without one.

I believe he becomes an unrestricted free agent after this season.  Both Smush and Luke are severly under paid for starting players at their position.  SI.com had a list a few months ago about the most underpaid players in all of sports and of the 20 or so they listed both were on there.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 11:53:41 AM »
I said earlier in the year that I thought Walton was developing into a great Pippen to KoJordan.  He has good ball handling skills and obviously was raised to "understand" the game.  He makes good decisions, is rarely out of position and leaves it all on the floor.  I am glad to hear that he has been "overlooked" by the press in favor of Kobe's heroics.  In a lot of ways he reminds me of Duncan...a very fundamental player that puts up better numbers than it appears when you watch him.  In other words you look at the boxscore the next day and say damn he scored that much...and had that many assists...and a couple steals.  Wow!

It's nice that the Lakers have won five in a row, but they still aren't playing D at all.  They're beating sub par teams by a couple of points while giving up way over 100.  That is a recipe for disaster, esp. when you're relying on Kobe to shoot upwards of 50% on 30 plus shots.  Yikes! 

That was sort of what I was trying to say...msc just said it better.  He must have been educated outside of California.   ;)

Any substance to this report....

There's a disturbing trend in Lakerland these days, and it has nothing to do with an overreliance on Kobe Bryant. It's about a lack of respect for coach Phil Jackson. Forward Brian Cook, upset about his recent lack of playing time, dropped his warmups in Jackson's lap as he walked onto the court against Detroit. Guard Smush Parker, apparently upset about being pulled from another game, cursed at Jackson as he walked to the bench.
-- Los Angeles Daily News
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »
I said earlier in the year that I thought Walton was developing into a great Pippen to KoJordan.  He has good ball handling skills and obviously was raised to "understand" the game.  He makes good decisions, is rarely out of position and leaves it all on the floor.  I am glad to hear that he has been "overlooked" by the press in favor of Kobe's heroics.  In a lot of ways he reminds me of Duncan...a very fundamental player that puts up better numbers than it appears when you watch him.  In other words you look at the boxscore the next day and say damn he scored that much...and had that many assists...and a couple steals.  Wow!

That was sort of what I was trying to say...msc just said it better.  He must have been educated outside of California.   ;)

Any substance to this report....

There's a disturbing trend in Lakerland these days, and it has nothing to do with an overreliance on Kobe Bryant. It's about a lack of respect for coach Phil Jackson. Forward Brian Cook, upset about his recent lack of playing time, dropped his warmups in Jackson's lap as he walked onto the court against Detroit. Guard Smush Parker, apparently upset about being pulled from another game, cursed at Jackson as he walked to the bench.
-- Los Angeles Daily News

How old is that?  Brian Cook's issue with playing time was from a few months ago.  Although I did not hear anything about him putting his warm ups on PJ.

Bynum and Phil did get into it the other night when Bynum tossed a pass out of bounce due to hesitation.  He raised his voice with Phil, then Kobe/Odom stepped in and told him to chill out...he yelled at them....then Brian Shaw came over and talked to him....same result.  That one I know for sure but the captains jumped in to set Bynum straight.

Smush gets frustrated when he gets pulled and I've seen (and heard) him cuss plenty of times but it never seems to be directed at one person.  More in general then anything.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »
1st off how can you Purple n Goldens not know Waltons contract status?  Are renevations at The Laker House that extensive?
Yes, he will be an UFA agent, this is a contract year.

2ndly, how come no one can answer why SuperByns gets so few shot attempts.
He almost always takes good shots, albeit many are short gimmes or dunks.
Nonetheless, i like his moves when one on one.
He's consistenly at or above 50%.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 12:35:31 PM »
1st off how can you Purple n Goldens not know Waltons contract status?  Are renevations at The Laker House that extensive?
Yes, he will be an UFA agent, this is a contract year.

He almost always takes good shots, albeit many are short gimmes or dunks.
Nonetheless, i like his moves when one on one.
He's consistenly at or above 50%.

Good question Reality.  The only thing I can think of is that PJ does not feel 100% comfortable with having Bynum a bigger part of the offense because of his decision making.  At times Andrew is not aggressive enough.  He tries to bang one or two times then passes the ball back out but never reposts so of course he doesn't get the ball back.  Or he will set a screen but does not roll to the basket.  When he sets a solid screen for Kobe, Luke, or Lamar and rolls he gets the ball back 9 times out of 10.  I personally would like to see him go at guys more.

His foot work is pretty good for a young guy and he could score on most of the big men on other squads.  However he is still a little light in the pocket compared to couple of the undersized guys.  He is letting guys use their hips and legs to move him more then they should.

btw, the reason I think WOW wasn't sure if it was a contract year is because Brian Cook and Luke Walton joined the team at the same time.  Brian Cook recieved a contract in the off-season and Walton did not.  I won't say that Luke is only playing good because it is a contract year.  I believe that he is a good fit for the triangle and is finally getting that bigger role that he deserves.  He went from 7th-8th guy off the bench to being an important piece of the puzzle for the Lakers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:38:31 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 12:36:24 PM »

You just have to watch the game to see why he doesn't get more shots.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"