Author Topic: Has cars odometer been messed with?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Has cars odometer been messed with?
« on: March 20, 2007, 03:01:58 PM »
Carfax is a valuable tool in tracing a cars history and comparing with mileage.  However, is there a surefire way to detect if a cars odometer has been altered?  Joe has Carfax delved into this?

Back alley scams have been going on for years in which rollbacks occur.  With newer cars, can they also be altered?  I'm hearing yes.
However, I'm also hearing manufactures are installing mileage readout gizmos in other places in the car that are much harder to access.

Thoughts?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Has cars odometer been messed with?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »
It depends on the auto manufacturer.  In the old days, apparently it was an easy trick.  There are stiff fines for doing this, and in many states, each year when you register the car, they want to know the mileage.

It really doesn't matter- it's not how many miles the car has gone, but under what conditions, and how well it's been maintained, oil changes, etc.

I have a mechanic look at the car before I buy it, to make sure it's worth buying.  It also helps in negotiating if there is something wrong with the vehicle.

Most private individuals don't have the skill to roll back an odometer, and don't sell enough cars to make that worthwhile.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 03:41:58 PM »
Most newer cars have an electronic secondary odometer in the cars computer that gives you a range that the primary odometer should be within.  When ever you take the car to the dealer they upload that information before they touch your car.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:35:04 PM »
Most newer cars have an electronic secondary odometer in the cars computer that gives you a range that the primary odometer should be within.  When ever you take the car to the dealer they upload that information before they touch your car.
W.O.W. is this referred to as the ECU?  Electronic Control Unit which is programmable therefore manipulatable.
I'm hearing the ECU records mileage as well as the odometer.
However, can the ECU be manipulated?  Some have said software exists that lets one adjust not only the OBD (On Board Diagnostic) Module but the ECU as well.

Odometer Cluster is the term given the stuff the odometer sits in.  This cluster can be purchased in total.  Have heard of unscrupulous ones buying these, taking out the original one, driving, then simply putting the original one back in when time to sell.  Or service at the dealers.

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:19:15 AM »
You have to rely on yourself ultimately to make the decision.  If a car has extremely low miles for it's age, you have to question how that come to be.  Just check out their story, and look them in the eye.  A weasel is a weasel, and anyone going to the trouble to get another odometer to defraud someone is a weasel of the worst kind.

Normal wear and tear on a car can't be hidden.  The dash fades in the sunlight, and on the engine and it's peripherals look at the belts, hoses, etc.  Check the fluids and see if they've been refreshed- does the owner have repair records and the like.

Mileage isn't the most important thing anyway. Getting a fair deal is.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:23:34 AM »
Well, first of all, let me say that I'm not involved in the programming of the reports, the collection or  interpretation of the data, or anything like that.  My role is within the realm of infrastructure;  I put servers on-line, maintain internal security, do domain administration, etc.  The closest I get to the "real" business is that the servers which process credit cards are some of my servers and the areas for data storage are allocated by me.

Carfax's vehicle history report is, in my opinion, an incredibly useful tool.  As an employee, it's something that I'm proud of and very confident in.  Again, in my opinion, it represents the most accurate information that anyone can supply regarding the history of a car, and were I buying a used car, there's absolutely no way that I'd consider the car without seeing its vehicle history report - and specifically, Carfax's vehicle history report.  I'd also want the safety and reliability report that Carfax provides.

That said, I'd also have an inspection done, and more specifically, by a mechanic that I trust.  Not only is this something that Carfax recommends, but it's something that simply makes sense.  I'd look at going with my own mechanic that I know and trust rather than one of Carfax's inspections through one of our new programs, mostly because of my own comfort with my mechanic - after all, if something goes wrong, he'll be the one fixing it, and I want him with some level of comfort and familiarity with the vehicle.

I'd never heard of a Carfax vehicle history report until I came to work at Carfax.  Part of it stems from the fact that I've never purchased a used car;  part of it stems from the fact that I don't know much about cars in the first place.  And, to be honest, I've always been skeptical about purchasing "information" on the Internet.  However, seeing what we do first-hand, seeing the meticulous nature of some of the work, and knowing the great pride that our staff takes in our data and our report, I have a great sense of pride in our products.  I know I'm working for "the good guys."  What I've seen has turned me into a believer.  And because of that, I'd trust Carfax when they say, "Get an inspection by a mechanic."
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
Too easy to be a crook
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
Hey y'all!

It's easier just to get a new car...there are simply too many ways to disguise a wrecked or poorly maintained auto.

-RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Too easy to be a crook
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:20:07 PM »
Hey y'all!

It's easier just to get a new car...there are simply too many ways to disguise a wrecked or poorly maintained auto.

-RB
Shaq #1
With slave labor being what it is, you are basically correct RB.  There are now models to fit every budget.  Ted used to travel and once told us of the ungodly stench and smog that covered the cities hosting the Kia and Hundai plants in So Korea.  Thus even their "luxery" model the Sonata -  very nice car considering only 25K.  Now China is going to get in on the car manufacturing scene, worldwide that is.  Toyotas are already largely made in Mexico.

But i still love to shop for used cars.  Yes getting a mechanic is a must.  We have here in S.D. a shop that specialized in pre buy inspections.  Guy does an engine compression test and the whole bit.  He has done wonders for myself and everyone I've referred to him.

But i still wish we knew a surefire way to tell if a car has been rolled back or not.