Author Topic: Americans playing in China  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Americans playing in China
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
I had no idea so many played there.  56 players, ex NBA or college who couldn't make a go of the NBA.
They have a yearly draft of U.S. players, some have played in China for years.
Recognize any of these players?
http://www.usba-inc.com/cba_draft.php

Ah no wonder Nike ordered the Olympic commitee to pick China:
http://www.asianreporter.com/stories/intl09b-07.htm
But the NBA already has a 50-member staff — its largest abroad — and a game with deep roots.

"It’s the No. 1 market for us outside the United States," said Heidi Ueberroth, who directs the NBA’s international business. "We’ve seen double-digit growth over the past several years — and as far out as we can project. I can assure you it is very profitable."

She said the NBA generates about 10 percent of its $3 billion revenue outside the United States, and China is the biggest overseas contributor.

The NBA boasts 20,000 stores in China that carry its merchandise. China’s biggest broadcaster, state-run CCTV, airs four NBA games weekly, and 50 other stations across the country telecast games. Ueberroth visits the country three or four times per year, and is sure to return in October when two NBA teams play. The teams and venues have not been announced

What is the pay, conditions?  25K top to 8K bottom monthly.
Yi Jianlian is allegedly currently the best Chinese player and possible top 5 draft pick, Mitch Scrubchek and Danny Ainge have both scouted.
http://www.nba.com/news/cba_050413.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 10:32:40 AM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Americans playing in China
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 11:35:55 AM »
Soumalia Samake is the only name I recognize.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 12:35:48 PM »
You're kidding me! You don't remember the name God Shammgod?  His name alone made him famous at Providence and then he spent a couple nondescript years with the Wizards.  I mean, his name is GOD!  :D

Robert Jackson was the muscle inside for Dwayne Wade at Marquette. 

Doug Wrenn was a top 5 caliber player from Washington and also a major league head case.  He orally committed to several schools before Jim Calhoun "somehow" swooped in at the last minute and he went to UConn.  Never lived up to his potential on the court and had problems off court before heading home to Washington.

Jarod  Ward was National Player of the Year, went to Michigan with Albert White and a bunch of other big names.  White transferred and Ward suffered a series of injuries and never became a star. 

And after a second look:  Ernest Brown was a failed attempt at skipping playing D1 ball and going NBA from JUCO, Darius Rice is Jerry Rice's nephew and Kevin Freeman was the blue collar guy on the Rip Hamilton squads at UConn.  I thought Rice would make the NBA but it turns out the times I saw him play just happened to be flukey, career best games.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:40:40 PM by jn »
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:10:35 PM »
You're kidding me! You don't remember the name God Shammgod?  His name alone made him famous at Providence and then he spent a couple nondescript years with the Wizards.  I mean, his name is GOD!

I love God Shammgod!!  jn, you forgot that God spent some time with the Atlanta Hawks which was all kinds of hilarious because of who was already on the roster; Priest Lauderdale and Christian Laettner. 

We used to joke about that Atlanta team being the most blessed team in the history of the NBA.  After all they had a Christian, a Priest, and GOD himself on the team.   :D

Noting the regular season record that team had, I'm going to assume the blessings were other-worldly, though. 
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
 :D :D  :D Skander

My cup runneth over.  If only Nazr Mohammed were a bit older or Moses Malone a lot younger.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:46:28 PM »
After all they had a Christian, a Priest, and GOD himself on the team.      

;D This made my day also.