Author Topic: OT - can someone help out  (Read 6633 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
OT - can someone help out
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:06:55 AM »
I posted something about firefox on general discussion.  Can someone help me out with this Firefox problem?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Re: OT - can someone help out
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:41:14 PM »
What is the problem with the very overrated Firefox X3?
Dan

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:46:43 PM »
I posted something about firefox on general discussion.  Can someone help me out with this Firefox problem?

What was the something?   I don't see anything on the General Board....

* Derek Bodner is afraid to ask Laker Fan what he prefers.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »

I've been using Firefox for a couple of months now and I'm not impressed, I prefer IE 7.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 01:18:01 PM »

Derek, I run both IE 7 and whatever version Firfox throws at you on a daily basis side by side. While I am hardly a huge fan of Mr. Gates and his underwhelming browser, Firefox is slower, more cumbersome and irritating that almost any version of IE I have used concurrently with FF.

FF has in inordinately slow load and refresh rate, throws 900 million updates at you on a daily basis, hits me with tons of script errors, and is ridiculously cumbersome and non-intuitive to tweak and set up to suit my personal preferences. It errors out just as frequently as IE (although reloading a lost session when it does shut down is a neat feature).

IE 7 may not be the be all end all browser, but it is faster, more user friendly, more intuitve to set up and updates in the background whereas I cannot get FF to do so no matter how hard I try.

I do use them both but when I need speed and quicker navigation, IE is superior (I hate saying that about a Microsoft product)
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 09:51:14 AM »
How many of those script/html errors are you getting because people are not following standards and just writing for IE?

Its true Firefox does bog down if you leave it open for an extended amount of time but there are ways to fix that.  I'd imagine they would patch up the memory leak soon.

As for IE7?  I think its a piece of crap personally.  Everything that is in IE7 has been around in Firefox and Opera for YEARS.  I dont think IE7 is noticeably faster then Firefox either.  I use Firefox in Ubuntu and it screams for me personally.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:56:23 AM »
I use Firefox in Ubuntu and it screams for me personally.

I run Firefox in the good ole USA, not in podunk Africa, and it runs pretty slow for me.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 12:29:01 PM »
I've messed around with Firefox here and there and honestly haven't noticed much of a time lag and it seems more secure. 

It seems a lot of the java scripts and trojans that infect your machine don't affect Firefox since they're written for IE 7.  Computer people, is this the right or wrong way of thinking about that.  Since I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 12:58:53 PM »
I've messed around with Firefox here and there and honestly haven't noticed much of a time lag and it seems more secure. 

It seems a lot of the java scripts and trojans that infect your machine don't affect Firefox since they're written for IE 7.  Computer people, is this the right or wrong way of thinking about that.  Since I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

That could be correct, same reason Mac's are not hit by alot of viruses as well, nobody cares enough to write a virus for a Mac.  Same reason no team in the NBA gets hyped to beat the Clippers.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 02:22:26 PM »
That could be correct, same reason Mac's are not hit by alot of viruses as well, nobody cares enough to write a virus for a Mac.  Same reason no team in the NBA gets hyped to beat the Clippers.

most virii on windows could be avoided if people wouldn't sign on and run their applications as privileged accounts.  That is a problem that is unique to windows and not really prevalent in other operating systems.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 05:42:55 PM »

most virii on windows could be avoided if people wouldn't sign on and run their applications as privileged accounts.  That is a problem that is unique to windows and not really prevalent in other operating systems.

Do you mean log in as a guest or user instead of an admin?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 06:36:34 PM »
Yes.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 06:49:46 PM »
Yes.

What do other OS's do, Unix and VMS were the same from what I remember.  I don't see that as a drawback from the OS, it's more of an implementation issue.  A gun is great unless you point it at yourself and pull the trigger.  I'd rather have the user account access feature than not, how do "other" OS's handle privileges?
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 08:58:53 PM »
Back when i was forced to use windows for work, I created two accounts.  One as an administrator, one as a regular user.  I'd login to the workstation as the regular user, then if I need to install something or do something else administratively, I'd use "run as".

*nix's work the same way.  The user you login as is a regular, unprivileged user.  You can use "sudo" to run an application as root, which you will need to provide your password in order to do so.

The problem is, if you're running IE as a privileged user, and IE is exploited, that exploit is then run as an administrator.  That leaves open to infinitely more damage that can be done to your computer.  Combine that with XP's primitive permissions structure, and it's a recipe for disaster.  Logging in as an administrator is by far the most easily correctable security hole, and Microsoft never even attempted steer users in a safe direction.  Vista has taken steps to correct this (which is why you're prompted before Vista does anything), but it's still a mess. 

For example, if an application gets exploited in Linux, and it was running as my user, they may be able to delete my personal files, but in no way can they delete/modify system folders or binaries.  Gaining access is essentially useless (unless your goal was to gain my password file for those XXX sites).

like I said, combine that with windows file permissions, and the lack of any worthwhile firewall that comes with it (which you have to then go to 3rd party vendors), and the piss poor update mechanism, and it's a bad combination.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 10:47:43 PM »
I guess that might be a problem for the "home" flavor of Windows.  I typically have several account levels at home, I run XP Pro.  Lowest level for my kids, they need me to do pretty much anything new, otherwise they can use the PC without incident and without complaint.  You can use the default permission level or customize to your hearts content.  I don't think 3rd party software is a bad thing, there are tons of cool things out there by third parties.  If I wanted a fisher price dumb and go PC I'd buy my kids a Mac, it's a very well integrated product, everything from PC to MP3 is really smooth, then again so is a Playstation.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"