Author Topic: Spurs trade for Marvin Ely  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs trade for Marvin Ely
« on: February 13, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »
AP story from ESPN....

Spurs, Bobcats trade veterans Williams, Ely
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO -- The San Antonio Spurs traded forward Eric Williams and a draft pick to the Charlotte Bobcats for forward-center Melvin Ely in an exchange of veteran backups.

The Spurs said Tuesday that the draft pick is a second-round selection in 2009.

The 6-foot-10 Ely has averaged 2.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 24 games for Charlotte this season. Ely is in his fifth NBA season, including two seasons with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Ely, who had asked to be traded in late December, had played little in Charlotte after signing a one-year, $3 million qualifying offer before the start of training camp.

The 6-8 Williams has averaged 2.6 points in 16 games this season, his 12th in the NBA. The Spurs traded center Rasho Nesterovic and cash to the Toronto Raptors last summer for forwards Williams and Matt Bonner and a second-round pick in 2009.

The Bobcats will be the seventh team for Williams, and his sixth in four seasons.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

So what can the resident Clipper watchers tell us?  Did Ely look like he could outplay Fabs?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Spurs trade for Marvin Ely
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 10:42:14 PM »
I thought this deal got shot down!  I was going to post about it but then I saw the story got pulled.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »
So what can the resident Clipper watchers tell us?  Did Ely look like he could outplay Fabs?
I don't know.  Can he jump over a piece of paper?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »
Ely was more of a banging brute.  No athletic ability and didnt' show much hustle and smarts.  He'd make a good bruiser to protect TD.  I don't if his lack of work ethic will put him in pop's doghouse BUT even a doghouse with a leaky roof is better than Fabs.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 11:01:49 AM »
Ely was more of a banging brute.  No athletic ability and didnt' show much hustle and smarts.  He'd make a good bruiser to protect TD.  I don't if his lack of work ethic will put him in pop's doghouse BUT even a doghouse with a leaky roof is better than Fabs.

Well, a banging brute is someone Pop is looking for.  In the recent string of losses the Spurs have been getting hammered on the glass.  It is almost to the point that the Spurs could be missing Rasho.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 09:25:19 PM »
I saw a blurb saying he was averaging 2.something per game in points...stopped listening at that point.  The guy sounds like Felton Spencer, don't know if he can help out.  what the hell happenned to this Jackie Butler kid we got from New York, I read on espn.com before the season started that this kid could really contribute to our team rebounding and points, I have only seen him play once, and it was for like one play.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan-101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:51:57 PM »
People just don't know...

This is a brilliant move, one that will propel my beloved Spurs to the next level.  Look out Suns, look out Lakers, look out Mavs, Spurs are cocked and loaded now.

What's up my people??  Where's Rolando Blackman, Lakerfan, x3, glad to be back!