Author Topic: How good of a ref would you make?  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
How good of a ref would you make?
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:34:12 PM »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Re: How good of a ref would you make?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:50:37 AM »
Before even taking the test, I know:  I'd make a TERRIBLE referee.  I've had to referee two games as a result of coaching Upward basketball, and I've got another two coming up.  I tend to be too much of a coach and an analyst to make a good referee.  I'll notice when someone misses a pass they should have made, but not when a foul is committed off the ball.  I'll call a foul, and fail to get the number of the person who was fouled - the person who should be shooting - and I have no memory for faces.  I'm just awful as a ref.

Now let me take that test.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
I tee 'em up so fast it makes their heads spin
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 12:32:21 PM »
Hey Reality!

I used to ref corporation intramural leagues all the time, and had a reputation for calling games very strictly.  I am from the days of basketball being considered a non-contact sport (that is, pre-80s 'Bad Boys' and Riley-led Knicks of the '90s), and that is how I call 'em.  And if anyone has a problem with it, I am worse than Joey Crawford when it comes to taking any nonsense off a player!

Now for the test.

-RB
Shaq #1

Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 12:33:57 PM »
Well I am blind in one eye, and have a cataract in the other, so I would say I would be Top-Notch, NBA ready!!
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 09:16:40 PM »
I've never been a basketball referee, but my first job at age 12 was umpiring little league baseball games.  Like any other officiating position, it's a thankless job.  Regardless of your performance and consistency, coaches and fans constantly berate your calls.

Fortunatlely, I was actually known as one of the best umps in our system, especially behind the plate.  I tended to have a larger strike zone than most because I expected these young kids, most of them under the age of ten, to swing the bats - a point I made sure was emphasized during the traditional pre-game meeting between managers and umpires.

The head of umpires told me he frequently received compliments regarding my officiating from both coaches and parents, which meant a great deal (regardless of how they showed their "gratitude" during games ;) ).  But the highest compliment I ever received came from one of the most well-known little league managers in our district.  He was loud, boisterous and thoroughly enjoyed giving it to the umpires at every opportunity.  I was behind the plate for one of his team's games, and late in the contest, one of his players took a called strike, stepped out of the box and looked squarely at the coach ... who proceeded to throw up his hands and proclaim (for everyone to hear), "What are you looking AT ME for?  He's been calling that a strike ALL DAY!"

I chuckled, because all umpires strive for consistency.  From my perspective, that comment seemed to validate my effort to be the best.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:18:55 PM »
Oh ... and by the way, I didn't even notice that thing moving in the background.  I was too focused on the ball and players.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 07:37:14 PM »
Hey Wolverine!

I can completely understand your pleasure at hearing that coach verify your judgement...great stuff.

Yes I missed it, too.  But what I want to know is, how many passes were there, really? LOL

-RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?