Author Topic: The Sixers are .500 since trading Webber.  (Read 1548 times)

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
The Sixers are .500 since trading Webber.
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:23:19 PM »
This really sucks.  You would think that with Iverson the team could actually be competitive.  Of course the difference is Andre Miller is a real point, and is distributing the ball well, which benefits everyone, but especially Igoudala.  Maybe they should have just tried to get Miller and kept Iverson.

Finally, Cheeks is playing Dalembert and Hunter at the same time, and it is clogging the middle and keeping the Sixers competitive on the boards.  They aren't a good team, but they can beat middle of the road teams.

I want them to get a decent draft pick and Igoudala wants to be a hero and get them in the playoffs!  The Sixers should understand that getting into the playoffs is not a good idea.  They aren't talented enough to compete and need a high draft pick to close the gap.  There are a lot of teams in the NBA that are in the middle.  Mediocre and never getting a chance to get better without a significant trade or draft pick, which they also can't get. 

The time for the Sixers to tank a season is NOW.  Andre can be a hero next year.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Sixers are .500 since trading Webber.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 05:25:56 PM »
Speaking of Webber, he looked pretty good against the Cavs on Sunday before the Super Bowl.  Maybe he will work out in a limited role over on that squad.

Even if they had Iverson and Miller I don't think Miller would be quite as effective.  AI does have to have the ball in his hands to make plays.

No team should tank any season.  Doesn't matter who or for what reason.  I couldn't imagine being an avid Sixers fan who knows everytime they suit up they are not trying very hard.  At least they need to make an attempt.  Andre is not good enough to carry the entire team on his back so I say let him shoot away.  Things will end up working out eventually and the Sixers will get a lottery ball.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 08:26:44 PM »
Hey Ricko!!!

You have been talking up Dalembert ever since he was first signed by the 76ers - to me, he's just another Samaki Walker-type...LOL

- RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline rickortreat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:34:13 AM »
Sam is averages 10pts. and 8.5 boards for the season.  In the last 16 games he has pulled down over 10 a game.  He ranks 4th in the NBA for blocks per minute played.  A bit better than Samaki, wouldn't you say?

Sam is still a work in progress, and is a journeyman center.  He doesn't project to be a star, but he isn't a bust either.  It's a shame he was born in Haiti, and was exposed to basketball late, he is having a tough time catching on to certain basics of the game, but Moses Malone has been helping him and he is making fewer mistakes than he used to.

I want them to tank the season.  I want a lottery pick, not a mediocre playoff squad that can't win.  They're not good enough to win and will never be as they are constructed.  They can try and work hard in practice.  Games are for loosing until next season.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 11:47:04 AM »
I object to the mentality that it's a good idea to tank games just to get a draft pick.  And a player who buys into this mentality isn't a champion in the making.

Michael Jordan, loathe as I am to use him as an example, came back from injury his second season to push the Bulls into the playoffs - wanting a playoff spot more than a lottery pick.  And as to the idea that you have to get better by getting lottery picks, I'd point out that Chicago did pretty well in the 90's - because their mentality was, "We're not here to LOSE," even as far back as 1986.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 04:55:51 PM »
I object to the mentality that it's a good idea to tank games just to get a draft pick.  And a player who buys into this mentality isn't a champion in the making.

Michael Jordan, loathe as I am to use him as an example, came back from injury his second season to push the Bulls into the playoffs - wanting a playoff spot more than a lottery pick.  And as to the idea that you have to get better by getting lottery picks, I'd point out that Chicago did pretty well in the 90's - because their mentality was, "We're not here to LOSE," even as far back as 1986.

100% in agreement.

The championship/winner mentality comes from always trying to win the game.  You can't just flip that killer instinct on and off.  Either it is always there or it is not there.

Personally I think the Sixers should let Andre explore his new found confidence for the rest of the season.  Heck let him take 25-30 shots a game.  IMO giving Andre the feel for winning and taking over games would benefit the Sixers a heck of alot more then trying to go after more lottery balls for a pick.  That is just my personal take.

I get to see Webber in action tonight against one of the only other PFs who is even more useless then he is on the defensive end...Vlad Radman!  Curious to see if they do in fact try to exploit that matchup on the other end.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com