Author Topic: Boozer out 4-5 weeks, OUCH!  (Read 2203 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Boozer out 4-5 weeks, OUCH!
« on: January 31, 2007, 05:15:38 PM »
The injury was initially suspected to be a bruised knee, but an MRI and X-rays confirmed the fracture in the top of the fibula. It typically takes four to five weeks to fully heal, the team said Wednesday.

Boozer was injured in a collision Saturday with New Orleans' Tyson Chandler. He missed a game Monday against the New Jersey Nets.

Boozer, averaging 22.1 points and 11.8 rebounds before the injury.

Hopefully the Jazz can get it done and at least play .500 ball with him on the bench.  Talk about a major blow to your team when they are having an awesome season.  I guess the question is, who is now the #1 scoring threat on this team?  And who do you post up in the paint now to get those high % shots?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boozer out 4-5 weeks, OUCH!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:22:37 PM »
This is a bad blow to Utah's chances of holding onto the division lead IMO.  Boozer was one of the primary reasons (Deron Williams the other) for the Jazz great play.  Maybe this will be the wakeup call that AK-47 needs.

I am also completely bummed as Boozer was one of my top players in the fantasy league.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:52:14 PM »
This is a bad blow to Utah's chances of holding onto the division lead IMO.  Boozer was one of the primary reasons (Deron Williams the other) for the Jazz great play.  Maybe this will be the wakeup call that AK-47 needs.

I am also completely bummed as Boozer was one of my top players in the fantasy league.

Well AK gets to be more focused on the offense now but you can't put him on the block.  I don't think you can put Okur on the block either.  Not sure who else you would put there that could be half as effective as Boozer.

This does hurt their chances of holding onto the division lead.  Like I said hopefully they can tread water while he is gone and have a chance to battle back to get the division if they do in fact lose it.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:09:03 PM »
AAAAANNNNNNDDDDD ... goodbye to the Jazz's season ...
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »
I think Memo is underrated and may surprise you now that he has to step up and help fill the gap while Boozer is out, I also agree with Lurker, Kirilenko has been griping about his diminished role in the offense, now is his chance to prove he is more htan just a defensive animal, although I have never seen the kind of agressiveness that suggests he is capable of stepping up on the offensive end of the floor, Williams youth and inexperience will ome glaringly to the forefront here I am afraid, he relies on Boozer in that pick to spark Utah's offense.

I will say the same thing I said about L.A. if they can hold serve, they will be alrigtht, I just doubt they will hold serve, my guess is as the Memo goes durting this stretch, so go the Jazz.

Tough break, very, very, tough break.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »
I think Memo is underrated and may surprise you now that he has to step up and help fill the gap while Boozer is out, I also agree with Lurker, Kirilenko has been griping about his diminished role in the offense, now is his chance to prove he is more htan just a defensive animal, although I have never seen the kind of agressiveness that suggests he is capable of stepping up on the offensive end of the floor, Williams youth and inexperience will ome glaringly to the forefront here I am afraid, he relies on Boozer in that pick to spark Utah's offense.

I will say the same thing I said about L.A. if they can hold serve, they will be alrigtht, I just doubt they will hold serve, my guess is as the Memo goes durting this stretch, so go the Jazz.

Tough break, very, very, tough break.

I don't know if Williams youth is going to hurt him all that much.  If he is getting good screens from the rest of the cast, then he should be just fine.  Boozer is a big body that sets nice screens.  If AK and Okur can set good screens for Williams I have a feeling he will do just as well, if not better assist wise because he will have to create more with no low block threat.

I don't think their season is over by any means.  No reason to count Utah out anymore like we all have done in the past.  Sloan won't allow them to toss this season away and I think the team has gel'd enough to keep afloat.  If Boozer doesn't come back 100% then I will have to agree with Wolv.  Here is hoping to a good 4-5 weeks for Boozer.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 11:52:19 AM »
I should say I was being sarcastic in my previous post.  I think life without Boozer will be tough, but the Jazz can still win.

Their game plan will have to change, because without Boozer they don't have a low-post threat - as 'Koast pointed out - so rather than outscoring the opponent and dropping 100+ a game, they really need to tighten up their defense.  I think it's possible - especially since they're replacing Boozer with Collins - but a period of adjustment might be in the cards.

I also agree with 'Koast in that if Boozer doesn't come back at 100%, they're REALLY in trouble, because if he can't contribute offensively and be the force they need on the inside, his defense isn't NEARLY good enough to compensate for that.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 01:12:27 PM »
I should say I was being sarcastic in my previous post.  I think life without Boozer will be tough, but the Jazz can still win.

Their game plan will have to change, because without Boozer they don't have a low-post threat - as 'Koast pointed out - so rather than outscoring the opponent and dropping 100+ a game, they really need to tighten up their defense.  I think it's possible - especially since they're replacing Boozer with Collins - but a period of adjustment might be in the cards.

I also agree with 'Koast in that if Boozer doesn't come back at 100%, they're REALLY in trouble, because if he can't contribute offensively and be the force they need on the inside, his defense isn't NEARLY good enough to compensate for that.

The other thing I was thinking was...if Boozer doesn't come back 100% and hurts the team chances of finishing off a good season, how long does the franchise stay with him?  I don't want to sound like an a-hole or anything but his injuries over the past few seasons have really hurt this team quite a bit.  You see what they can do if he stays healthy and you see what happens when he gets sidelined for an extended period of time.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »

Well a certain upside appears to be more minutes for rookie...
Paul Millsap who has been playing like he is a young Chuck Barkley, esp the last three games.
Certainly last night as he was a big part of the Jazz 50-32 rebounding edge.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 03:26:22 PM »
As I said, Memo is a bigger part of what they need without Boozer in the lineup than many people realize, as he goes the Jazz go during this stretch, he was huge for the Jazz last night, as was Milsap, who is quite the hustle player in the post and a maniac chasing loose balls and rebounds. This is a fairly talented squad with lots of youth and energy on their side.

Losing Carlos for so long is tough but really in the long run if they have to work through it and maintain a decent (.500 or better) record, I think they will be a tighter, more efficient team than they are even now. And neither Harpring's nor Kirilenko's injury proneness has caused them to unceremoniously dumped, that is not Utah’s modus operendi, especially when Boozer is clearly the focus of their offense.

Great win for them last night, another loss to a +.500 team for San Antonio, how long are we going to pretend they are among the upper echelon of the elite? I think they can take Phoenix in a 7 game series, but Dallas will eat them alive, and L.A. AND Utah match up pretty darn well against them.
Dan

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 03:33:29 PM »
Much as I hate to agree with Reality, he hit the nail on the head for the player who everyone needs to keep an eye on:  Paul Millsap.  This guy is another Jerry Sloan kind of guy, is a superior defender to Boozer, is extremely active both offensively and defensively, and also a guy playing for his next contract a couple of years out.  Keep in mind - he's a second-rounder.

If you've not seen Millsap play, tune in to a Jazz game.  You'll be impressed by this kid a great deal.  I'm quite high on him, and Skander has repeatedly said that all of Collins's minutes should have been going to this guy all along.

Millsap's biggest problem, however, is that he's foul-prone.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:02:11 PM »

Millsap's biggest problem, however, is that he's foul-prone.

Alot of hustle players are.  I think you live with the fouls if that is what you are expecting from him...hustle.  If he is going to play a much bigger role then that is a diff story.