Author Topic: Kobes cheapshot earns suspension  (Read 17343 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Kobes cheapshot earns suspension
« on: January 30, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »
"Unstoppable" Kobme getting blocked at the end of reg by "3rd tier" GNob resulting in PamperedPoutys cheapshot gets him one game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2748084

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kobes cheapshot earns suspension
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 01:23:57 PM »
I am surprised he got a suspension for it also.  However I also don't believe it was as inadvertant as the Lakers...as well as the announcing crew...thought it to be.  When following through on a jumpshot, even one that is blocked, your arm doesn't fly out to the side.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:37:17 PM »
This is dumb.  The reason being is ALOT of players throw their hands up when fouled to draw attention.  Manu himself does this all the time.  As do plenty of other players.

Now to say Kobe purposely tried to hit Manu in the face is a lie.  He did flail his arms to draw attention but not to injure Manu.  Anyone who says otherwise is lying.  You cannot focus in on making a huge basket to thinking I am going to throw my arms around  to draw attention to I want to hit this player in the face.  There was not enough time inbetween for that decision to be made.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 01:39:15 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:46:10 PM »
This is dumb.  The reason being is ALOT of players throw their hands up when fouled to draw attention.  Manu himself does this all the time.  As do plenty of other players.

Now to say Kobe purposely tried to hit Manu in the face is a lie.  He did flail his arms to draw attention but not to injure Manu.  Anyone who says otherwise is lying.  You cannot focus in on making a huge basket to thinking I am going to throw my arms around  to draw attention to I want to hit this player in the face.  There was not enough time inbetween for that decision to be made.

I think that Kobe's arm flail was not natural...even trying to draw a foul.  His arm was straight up releasing the ball and then came down sideways.  Not a natural movement even if trying to draw a foul.  Was he intentionally trying to hurt Ginobili?  Of course not.  IMO he wasn't even necessarily trying to hit him.  It just happened which is why I didn't believe a suspension was warranted.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:49:19 PM »

I think that Kobe's arm flail was not natural...even trying to draw a foul.  His arm was straight up releasing the ball and then came down sideways.  Not a natural movement even if trying to draw a foul.  Was he intentionally trying to hurt Ginobili?  Of course not.  IMO he wasn't even necessarily trying to hit him.  It just happened which is why I didn't believe a suspension was warranted.

It wasn't natural because he didn't get fouled.  As far as the direction his arms went...that is the way they go when you are fouled on the arm.  Plenty of players move their hands in the same fashion to try to show that the contact kept them from following through their jump shot.  All of us have seen the same thing at least dozens of times by any number of jump shooters from Kobe to Vince to T-Mac to AI, etc.  Heck I've seen Corey Magette do this too.

The suspension comes from trying to intentionally hurt someone.  It is pretty apparent he did not do that.  Now if they had rules to go against flopping or lying for a call then yea, T him up!  Or fine him.  Suspending him tho?  I think alot more suspensions should be handed down if this is the case.

I think they are going to appeal this before tonight's game.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:21:21 PM »
"I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player," Phil Jackson said.
 :D

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »
westkoast
It wasn't natural because he didn't get fouled.  As far as the direction his arms went...that is the way they go when you are fouled on the arm.   
This is classic circle.

You direct your arm sideways in a swinging motion at the other players head?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 02:39:52 PM »
westkoast
It wasn't natural because he didn't get fouled.  As far as the direction his arms went...that is the way they go when you are fouled on the arm.   
This is classic circle.

You direct your arm sideways in a swinging motion at the other players head?

Yes Kobe can slow down time and was aiming for Manu's head!  When you are bringing your arms up with less force then someone bringing their hand down it causes your arm to go off to the side.

Do you play basketball?  And if you don't...do not act like you've never seen someone make this same motion while getting fouled on a jump shot.

Put aside the fact Kobe didn't sign a program for you after a Lakers/Clippers game for a moment and think about it.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:46:34 PM »
Yes Kobe can slow down time and was aiming for Manu's head!  When you are bringing your arms up with less force then someone bringing their hand down it causes your arm to go off to the side.
Are you applying this to the Kobe-Gnob play?  GNob hit a portion of all ball, a fact you Purple n Golders cannot dispute.  You are attemting to peddle this caused Kobmes right arm to swing towards Gnob?

Do you play basketball?  And if you don't...do not act like you've never seen someone make this same motion while getting fouled on a jump shot.
  Oh I've seen it happen.  Someone getting stuffed and then hissy fitting thus intentionally offensively fouling the stuffer.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »
Now to say Kobe purposely tried to hit Manu in the face is a lie.  He did flail his arms to draw attention but not to injure Manu.  Anyone who says otherwise is lying. 
I know Mike Miller was lying when Kobme inadvertanly hit him in the jaw last year.

Mike Bibbys jaw intentionally hitting Kobme in the Kings Champ year was another beauty.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 03:01:19 PM »
Here's the rule:

Officials have been instructed to eject a player who throws a punch, whether or not it connects, or an elbow which makes contact above shoulder level. If elbow contact is shoulder level or below, it shall be left to the discretion of the official as to whether the player is ejected. Even if a punch or an elbow goes undetected by the officials during the game, but is detected during a review of a videotape, that player will be penalized.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 03:35:43 PM »
This is malarky.  Kobe didn't try to hit Manu in the face.  He didn't even see him coming.  Manu blocked it from a behind angle and Kobe flailed his arms in an attempt to hopefully draw a foul.  He inadvertantly hit Manu in the face.  It was an accident.  Anyone who doesn't recognize that is either: 

a.  An idiot
b.  Didn't see the play
c.  Is so blinded by their hate for Kobe that they can't see it any other way. 

Had Manu not done his typical acting and flailed around the floor like a little girl for 5 mins, the league wouldn't have even done anything. 

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 03:57:08 PM »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »
Here's the rule:

Officials have been instructed to eject a player who throws a punch, whether or not it connects, or an elbow which makes contact above shoulder level. If elbow contact is shoulder level or below, it shall be left to the discretion of the official as to whether the player is ejected. Even if a punch or an elbow goes undetected by the officials during the game, but is detected during a review of a videotape, that player will be penalized.

Ahh if only the hamster in your head would run a little faster you would realize that this is all based on the intention of hurting another player!   :D

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
So Manu got a bloody nose.  It happens.  Kobe did make contact with his face, but it wasn't intentional.  It happens in every sport.  I've gotten bloody noses playing basketball and seen countless.  Big whoop.  This never would have been a suspension in years past.  The league has turned in to a bunch of hyper-sensitive control freaks.  Maybe rightfully so considering the criminal element in the NBA these days.  It's unfortunate. 

Kobe is the most polarizing athlete of his time.  It has clearly translated from the fan base to the league, to the officials.  He's brought a lot of it on himself due to his cockiness and attitude.  I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears here, but Phil is right in that Kobe is not getting the premier player treatment that he deserves.  Just watching Wade get every whistle when he's barely touched, while Kobe would go down and get mugged by three Heat players in the MLK day game was a prime example of who the new golden child is and who's in the dog house with the refs these days. 

I'm not complaining though. The Lakers are playing team ball and they're much more fun to watch now, IMO, then they've been in quite sometime regardless of their record.  This BS suspension will only serve to continue to solidify a team that has already grown close.  I love it, and I say bring it on!