Author Topic: Props to SA for getting it done when it counted  (Read 3365 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Props to SA for getting it done when it counted
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »
I know Marc Jackson said it, oh say 50 times, but I think he was dead on.  Great teams know how to get it done no matter what is going on.  Whether they are shooting 35% or clanking from the FT line, great teams find other areas to keep themselves in the game.  Yesterday afternoon the Spurs decided to KILL the Lakers on the glass and make the most out of the FT line.  If you can't hit shots, then rebound and take more.  If you still can't hit shots make sure to hit your freebies.  Not exactly sure why everyone thinks this team is done.  They are still a hell of a team because of their defense.  They won't catch PHX or DAL this year in wins...but the question is, do they really have to?  When it comes down to playoff series they are on the same playing field (DAL) and better then (PHX) in the win or go home time of year.  This win kicked off the rodeo road trip for the Spurs and as usual around this time of year, they are on the right track.

Does a certain someone care to comment on Michael Finley's performance yesterday?  Yes his shooting % was low but he was far from gun shy.  He certainly was the man last night right behind Timmy.  I think he deserves alot of props.

Also, I think we should discuss Pop's coaching.  Since he sucks so bad I was wondering how he knew that Finley would be a key to the game.  I would also like to know how, since he sucks, he was able to change the way they were going to guard Kobe out of the timeout to deny him the ball completely.  That gave the  Lakers an off balanced 3 from Radmonvich instead of a better shot from Kobe.  That was an adjustment he made.  Lakers called a timeout once they saw how they were going to try to deny Kobe.  They run a different play and Pop countered.  It must have been luck.  In fact Pop is probably at a liqour store right now buying a lottery ticket.  It is not often a sucky coach can make two important decisions to get his team an OT victory on the road.

Quite frankly the Lakers are a 2nd tier team and will continue to be there for quite sometime.  This game was in hand but they could not force their will on the Spurs.  Just the opposite.  Same with the disapointing loss to yet another sub .500 team on Friday.  I cut them a little slack for being the only team this year to lose 3 of their 5 starters to injuries of the course of this season....but no excuse for having games in hand then getting weak in the knees when other teams make their run.  Having Kwame Brown or Luke Walton would not make a difference.  The defensive rebounding is just horrible right now and is the main reason for the last 5 Laker loses.  It's amazing how you can continue to get beat in the same department night after night.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:56:15 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Props to SA for getting it done when it counted
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:14:15 AM »
As much as I liked the fact that the Lakers hung in with the Spurs it just pissed me off about Friday.  How could the Lakers make a game of it against the Spurs and not be able to put a team like the Bobcats away?

The Lakers are definately 2nd tier, but that's a big improvement for the post-Shaq Lakers.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:31:02 AM »
Don't feel too bad about the loss to the Bobcats...the Spurs pulled off that amazing feat on their home court also.   ;)

It was a good game to watch yesterday...even better because the right team won.  There were good plays from both teams.  As koast said the Lakers let a game slip away on the boards & FT line.  The Lakers shot FTs like Shaq was their shooting coach.  Although Kobe's Karl Malone imitation on Manu's nose was really not necessary.

IMO this game shows that come playoff time there will be no easy series in the west.  With the Rockets and Lakers looking like the 5 & 6 seeds the west will be tough.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline jn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »
I was only able to catch the last couple minutes and overtime.  I was impressed by the number of big, clutch plays made down the stretch.  Sure looked like LA would hang on but SA's experience really showed.
"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more champagne."  -John Maynard Keynes

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 11:47:52 AM »
Also...this was the first game (I think) that I heard Mark Jackson as one of the announcers.  And is he horrible.  Even my wife sitting in the other room commented on two things: Kobe trusts his teammates and the Spurs defense isn't up to standards.  I hope that Jackson gets a new writer before his next telecast.

The other thing that I noticed is that ABC doesn't know how to show replays.  There were so many close plays that I wanted to see over (and am too lazy to screw around with digital recording) but only could listen to the lame announcers kiss up to the refs.  In short I would almost rather listen to the radio than watch another ABC telecast.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:16:51 PM »
Also...this was the first game (I think) that I heard Mark Jackson as one of the announcers.  And is he horrible.  Even my wife sitting in the other room commented on two things: Kobe trusts his teammates and the Spurs defense isn't up to standards.  I hope that Jackson gets a new writer before his next telecast.

The other thing that I noticed is that ABC doesn't know how to show replays.  There were so many close plays that I wanted to see over (and am too lazy to screw around with digital recording) but only could listen to the lame announcers kiss up to the refs.  In short I would almost rather listen to the radio than watch another ABC telecast.

I could have done the telecast just as well...I would need to say the following at least 50 times

"Great teams find a way to get it done"

"Kobe really trusts his teammates and that is why the Lakers are better" <--and all 400 variations of this same statement

"The SA defense is not getting it done right now."

Not to mention all the NYC jock riding that was going on.  Okay we got it, you are from NY and you have that arrogant NY resident "swagger".  I thought he was boring for the most part.  One thing I thought was an intersting take was the 'Horry vs Barkley' comment on who's career you would rather have.  I thought he brought up a good point.  Othe then that, I almost would rather hear Doug Collins repeat himself then Marc Jackson.

Even if you screwed with the Digital Recorder (cuz I did) they were not really showing many of the plays from different angles save that one alley oop from Odom to Kobe.  So it is not like you could really see the play and make a fair call of if the call was bogus or not.   One angle just doesn't do it.  One play they showed multiple angles I thought for sure it was a clean block from Odom only to see it from another angle and realize it was not.    I thought the refs didn't do a horrible or good job.  Just average and I think that is all you can expect.  There was a number of plays that should have went the opposite way then what they called.  Of course that was not the reason the game was won or lost.  It was won on poise and lost on the backboard.

Lurker...boy was Finley and Pop crappy yesterday.  Surely Fabs 4 tips and that HORRIBLE attempt to flop on Turiaf was much better.  Not to mention Barry just BOMBING the Lakers from downtown.  I wish you knew your team a little better....

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
I was quite surprised when ABC played back the Kobe cheapshot of Manu after getting his end of reg shot blocked.

During the game, even the few times they did replay, it was almost always in realtime with no closeups of the real action.
Wanted to see Bob Horrys end of reg hoist to see if Kobme fouled him.  He did, very obvious on replay but of course the star gets end of game calls.  I mean stars.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »
Even if you screwed with the Digital Recorder (cuz I did) they were not really showing many of the plays from different angles save that one alley oop from Odom to Kobe.  So it is not like you could really see the play and make a fair call of if the call was bogus or not.   One angle just doesn't do it.  One play they showed multiple angles I thought for sure it was a clean block from Odom only to see it from another angle and realize it was not.    I thought the refs didn't do a horrible or good job.  Just average and I think that is all you can expect.  There was a number of plays that should have went the opposite way then what they called.  Of course that was not the reason the game was won or lost.  It was won on poise and lost on the backboard.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought the officiating was bad.  In fact what I wanted to see was replays of close calls/plays.  Sometimes in real time you just don't see everything and the replay lets you see more.  I thought that there were a few calls that could go either way and that both teams had their share of being "screwed".  For the most part I would say the game was officiated well...they let the game get a little chippy in the 3rd quarter but quickly brought back under control.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 12:52:51 PM »
Oh the Bob Horry hoist in real time is much harder to judge then replay.
However The Kobme Karl Malone on GNob, realtime or not was a joke.
Along with his *deep concern* act after walking 10 steps then reminding himself he is trying to PR his image back to "sharin carin Kobe", thus doing a political walkover to GNob bleeding on the floor.
Ya ya i know what Popped said after the game about it.

If you're in the "Kome did it unitentionally" crowd lets simply agree to disagree.
Other versions are
"Kome was just clearing space"
"Kome was just attempting to draw contact".

westkoast i see you are all chipy over Finleys make and wanting my response.  Boosted him to 6-16 on the day, altho he was like 5-7 on treys so his fga was very good.  That you think that was anymore then a last second heave is a hoot.  I'll put money that the Lakers and Phil were thrilled to see him get the ball where and when he got it.  Very stupid of Lamar to cheat over to Duncan and give Finley room.  Duncan was 16 feet away with his back to the basket, he was going to have a very low percentage shot.

As to Pop "great adjustments" that you are fawning over, in addition to the above, Radman was left 15 feet open as all five Spurs collapsed on the Kobme drive.   Very stupid strategy and Radman made them pay for the 80-80 three pointer when all San An had to do was not give up a trey (up 80-77 with 27 seconds left).

Its one game winning shot.  Sure i hope it boosts Finleys confidence and inspires him to get over 40% for the rest of the season.  That you think this one shot erases all that he and Barry have done. :D

Offline Rolando Blackman

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - roblkman
    • View Profile
    • Email
No more tiers
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:09:36 PM »
Hey y'all!!!

I agree that both teams played at a high level at the end of the game - pretty good for the 'post-Shaq Lakers' (WoW).

No, SA is not what it was in previous seasons, defensively - I think one of the biggest differences in the SA - LA matchup now is that Bowen can't really effectively guard Kobme any more.  And, Parker's defense against the larger, stronger Phil-type guards has always been suspect.  Obviously, Busschak's roster reload is aimed (as it should be) at the 'top-tier' teams of the conference - it looks like they are succeeding so far.  How's that for objectivity?

How many tiers are there, anyway?  
- RB
Shaq #1
Sellouts to the left of me
Fearmongers to the right
Global Warming is here
Is this the fall of night?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 01:17:08 PM »
Right on Ro,

And while Bowen can play offense, really he can.  Led or nearly led league in treys a couple times.
However, Pop-A-Nonadjustment continues to oftentime have him strictly concentrate on D while sacrificing O, as if that formula will work until 2015.

Vs Dallas, many notice that a way to slow Dirk (not stop him) is to make him play D.  In other words have Bowen play O.
Ditto vs Lakers.  Pop has him chase Kobme all day but then factors Bowen out of the offense.

The Spurs have gone for consensus lock for 2006 title (pre and mid last season) to good but not even scary this year.
Even when they are winning vs +.500 teams, like yesterday it's barely.  And not often as LAL won the series 2-1.

Phil is owning Pop, as is Avery Johnson.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:33:45 PM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 01:20:49 PM »
Right on Ro,

And while Bowen can play offense, really he can.  Led or nearly led league in treys a couple times.
However, Pop-A-Nonadjustment continues to oftentime have him strictly concentrate on D while sacrificing O, as if that formula will work until 2015.

Vs Dallas, many notice that a way to slow Dirk (not stop him) is to make him play D.  In other words have Bowen play O.
Ditto vs Lakers.  Pop has him chase Kobme all day but then factors Bowen out of the offense.

The Spurs have gone for consensus lock for 2006-7title (pre and mid last season) to good but not even scary this year.
Even when they are winning vs +.500 teams, it's barely like yesterday.  And not often as LAL won the series 2-1.

Phil is owning Pop, as is Avery Johnson.

Clueless.  Nuff said.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 01:21:48 PM »

westkoast i see you are all chipy over Finleys make and wanting my response.  Boosted him to 6-16 on the day, altho he was like 5-7 on treys so his fga was very good.  That you think that was anymore then a last second heave is a hoot.  I'll put money that the Lakers and Phil were thrilled to see him get the ball where and when he got it.  Very stupid of Lamar to cheat over to Duncan and give Finley room.  Duncan was 16 feet away with his back to the basket, he was going to have a very low percentage shot.

You have failed to mention he was the most aggressive offense player behind Duncan and in fact, he killed the Lakers by stretching the defense away from Duncan.  Did you notice as soon as he went to the bench the double teams were much more effective?   He was the only person to make the Lakers pay for doubling Tim Duncan.  I disagree the Lakers we thrilled to see the ball in his hands since he was draining 3s.  I think they much rather of let Duncan operate one on one for a two.  If anyone, they would want to see your boy Barry taking that shot as he couldn't hit anything.

As to Pop "great adjustments" that you are fawning over, in addition to the above, Radman was left 15 feet open as all five Spurs collapsed on the Kobme drive.   Very stupid strategy and Radman made them pay for the 80-80 three pointer when all San An had to do was not give up a trey (up 80-77 with 27 seconds left).

Radman barely made them pay.  He was the person they wanted to shoot the ball as he had Brent Barry syndrome last night (except he shook it off and hit one).  As much as there is talk of Kobe getting the favoritism of the refs from you (and no one else around here) why no mention of Duncan clearly fouling Kobe on that drive?  That would have been #6 (Real Spurs fans, not bringing this up for you or anything, just trying to prove the point that ALL star players get love from the refs)

Pretty much Radman getting the ball was a lucky bounce in the Lakers favor moreso then it was a lack of Spurs defense.  Having the ball bounce right into a players lap is part of the game.

As for Pop...he told Finley before the game to shoot.  Finley was the difference maker for the squad last night.   The last second play with the ball in Kobe's hands could have been a W for the Lakers.  He hit one on Friday to send them to overtime and could have did it again.  Instead he didn't even touch the ball.   Not to mention is timeouts to discuss defensive assignments.  You know...like the one where he told his team it is impossible to deny Kobe on the elbow and to never do that again.  The defensive adjustments that were made were top notch.  I don't care how you want to twist it.

Do you realize how hard it is to chase Kobe Bryant around the court?  Also, if Finley is hot from 3, then let him take those shots from Bowen.  I don't think Bowen needs to be included in any offense because that is not what he does.  They take his 3s from the corners because they take what the defense gives them.  Do you think Bowen should be taking more shots away from Parker and Manu?  Why should he take shots away from Finley if Finley is hot from down town?  Really you are clueless...you have Andrew Bynum guarding Tim Duncan.  A young kid is guarding the best post player in the game and you are worried about Bowen shooting more?!#@?@!(#
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:29:14 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »
You have failed to mention he was the most aggressive offense player behind Duncan and in fact, he killed the Lakers by stretching the defense away from Duncan.  Did you notice as soon as he went to the bench the double teams were much more effective?
  He had a good game.  Going 5-10 on treys is not what i would call "killing" the Lakers, but it is a good game by Fins.  Do you want me to quote the number of games Barry has shot over 50% on treys for the season?  I'd rather you did.  Then give me the Fin stats.

He was the only person to make the Lakers pay for doubling Tim Duncan.
  Really?  I thought Manus back to back treys to pull SAS to 72-76 were "pay" also.  Then Bowen hit a Duncan passout with 54 seconds left to give the Spurs the lead at 79-77.
I count the Bowen shot also.  Fin was on the bench for all three of those.

I disagree the Lakers we thrilled to see the ball in his hands since he was draining 3s.  I think they much rather of let Duncan operate one on one for a two.   
  That explains Odom leaving Finley to help on Duncan.  Should i also find one of your numerous posts praising Pop for running the offense non stop to Duncan while attempting to diss my calls for open flow O.  Do make a choice please.

If anyone, they would want to see your boy Barry taking that shot as he couldn't hit anything.
He's 46% treys on the year, 3rd in NBA and 1st in FGA.  Not this game tho. 

Pretty much Radman getting the ball was a lucky bounce in the Lakers favor moreso then it was a lack of Spurs defense.  Having the ball bounce right into a players lap is part of the game. 
  Bynum got the rebound and threw a pass to Radman.  All 5 Spurs were either in the key or on the otherside of the rim.  How is that a lucky bounce and also has nothing to do with Spurs defense.  As to Duncan fouling Kobe, the Spurs were up 3 with 27 seconds.  Make Kobe shoot two.  Even if he hits both, Spurs are +1 with the ball.  Do you really want to stick with the strategy that giving up a trey is okay there?

As for Pop...he told Finley before the game to shoot.  Finley was the difference maker for the squad last night.   
;D ;D He tells Finley that before every game this season.  RRRrrrrrrrraugh Pop and westkoast knew that Finley was going to break out.
What is joes saying, even a blind squirell finds an acorn once in a while. 
Give us a break that it was some special insight or strategy by Pop!

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:52 PM »
Actually, with the exception of the final score I enjoyed the game -- it was a tough hard game fought by both teams.

Bynum is really growing up but he showed that he isn't ready to start yet -- he is much better off the bench and it helps having Brown to be able to come into the game when Bynum starts making poor decisions on the court.  He started off very well against TD but the 2nd half he didn't fair as well (of course, you do have to give credit to TD who had a lot to do with that).

There seemed to be many times when Odom didn't really seem to be "in rhythm" yet -- I look forward to about 2 or 3 more games and hope he can stay healthy.

Walton was definately missed -- when Kobe went to the bench, the Lakers REALLY need his passing ability in the triangle -- without Kobe on the floor it looked like confusion.

The Lakers aren't a great rebounding team but one thing is for sure -- they are going to need Odom, Brown and Bynum healthy if they are going anywhere in the playoffs.  The loss to the Bobcats continues to show that the Lakers can lose the game on the boards -- look what Dallas did to them a week or so ago -- Dallas were +15 on the boards -- that's WAY too many extra points. 

The Spurs were like +7 on the boards -- that makes a lot of difference in a 2 point ballgame!