Author Topic: Trade proposal Parker JOneal Gasol  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Trade proposal Parker JOneal Gasol
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 12:00:16 PM »
So now you have traded all of your backcourt players EXCEPT Ginobili for Watson & JO.  When Watson (who isn't a legit starter) or Manu gets tired then who plays?  Who backups the SF spot?  So you like this roster:
PG: Watson, Barry/Vaughn
SG: Ginobili, Barry, distant 3rd Finley (Seattle rejected taking him)
SF: JO Bowen Horry
PF: Duncan, JO, Horry, Bonner, Butler
C: Elson, Oberto

Title #4 under GM Reality

1) You traded Barry to get JO.

2) Why would Seattle give up the best player you are offering them?

3) Jo guarding Melo, LeBron, Iggy, or any other starting SF in the league.   ???

4) Who plays on the perimeter offensively?  JO?  Duncan?  Elson?  A 1-2-2 zone and the lane is clogged where 3/5 of your starters (not count Manu's drives) like to operate.

This team would be lucky to hold onto a lower seed in the west.  You continue to amaze with your utter lack of knowledge about your favorite team...not to mention a questionable understanding of the game itself.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 12:13:34 PM »
Let's put away all this swapping of players for one second and answer a simple question...

What PG in this league currently can play defense as well as Parker, get into the paint as well, finish as well, and has the playoff expierence Tony does teamed up with the youth he still has.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 12:14:45 PM »
No i traded Finley.  You were the GM on Indy.  Because you buy he is so much better, Indy wanted him instead.

Because they are tanking and dumping salary.  Also Rashard Lewis and even Ray Allen are both better.

3) Jo guarding Melo, LeBron, Iggy, or any other starting SF in the league.  
Melo, Lebron, Iggy or any other SF in the league stopping JO down in the blocks?  Iggy could.
Were you just talking about giving up 20 while scoring 20?

4) Who plays on the perimeter offensively?  JO?  Duncan?  Elson?  A 1-2-2 zone and the lane is clogged where 3/5 of your starters (not count Manu's drives) like to operate.  
Barry and Gnob on the perimeter.
Boy the 1 part of that 1-2-2 zone is really gonna stop Duncan and JO down low.

This team would be lucky to hold onto a lower seed in the west.
Title 4.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
No i traded Finley.  You were the GM on Indy.  Because you buy he is so much better, Indy wanted him instead. 
No in the very first post you traded Barry & Parker.  In response to who would run the point you traded Finley, Williams and Udrih.  If you traded Finley to Indy then why would Seattler give up Watson for Williams & Udrih?

Because they are tanking and dumping salary.  Also Rashard Lewis and even Ray Allen are both better.

Lewis and Allen are already on the team.  You are saying they disclaim the best player you are offering...so why do they make this trade? 

3) Jo guarding Melo, LeBron, Iggy, or any other starting SF in the league.  
Melo, Lebron, Iggy or any other SF in the league stopping JO down in the blocks?  Iggy could.
Were you just talking about giving up 20 while scoring 20?

If the Spurs post up their SF then other teams switch.  And you still end up with Duncan, JO or Elson on the perimeter playing the 3 spot.  Think basic basketball.

4) Who plays on the perimeter offensively?  JO?  Duncan?  Elson?  A 1-2-2 zone and the lane is clogged where 3/5 of your starters (not count Manu's drives) like to operate.  
Barry and Gnob on the perimeter.
Boy the 1 part of that 1-2-2 zone is really gonna stop Duncan and JO down low.

This team would be lucky to hold onto a lower seed in the west.
Title 4.

Barry was traded.  You have Watson & Ginobili on the perimeter.  You have a clogged lane that negates any inside presence that you think a triple tower will give you.  You have a league that is moving towards a more open game dominated by quick athletic players.  And you want to put three 7 footers on the floor that can't all 3 play in the lane at the same time, that cannot bring the ball up court and that will get constantly burned on the perimeter defensively.  And then your other big men will get in foul trouble constantly rotating to cover the rim.  As a GM or coach you are scary.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »
<No in the very first post you traded Barry & Parker.  In response to who would run the point you traded Finley, Williams and Udrih.  If you traded Finley to Indy then why would Seattler give up Watson for Williams & Udrih?>

That trade got blocked after one of my assistants informed me you were the new GM for the Indy.  Parker and Finley for JOneal.
Seattle is dumping salary ala Donald Sterling Clippers.  Got it?

<Lewis and Allen are already on the team.  You are saying they disclaim the best player you are offering...so why do they make this trade? >
You are confusing me.  I am trading for Watson, not Lewis and Ray Allen.

<If the Spurs post up their SF then other teams switch.  And you still end up with Duncan, JO or Elson on the perimeter playing the 3 spot.  Think basic basketball.>
I'll take my chances with 3 bigs vs one zippy 3.  Think Spurs title 2005.  Think Dallas tank in Finals last year.

<As a GM or coach you are scary.>
Boston Celtics dynasty scary.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:54:47 PM by Reality »

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »

<As a GM or coach you are scary.>
Boston Celtics dynasty scary.

Celtics since the 80s.  I agree Mr. Patino.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 02:20:04 PM »
Let's put away all this swapping of players for one second and answer a simple question...

What PG in this league currently can play defense as well as Parker, get into the paint as well, finish as well, and has the playoff expierence Tony does teamed up with the youth he still has.

Hmm...no answer?

Reality my friend, your lineups would be awesome if every game didn't matter like the all-star game.  You know where they put in Yao, KG, Duncan all on the floor at the same time. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:21:36 PM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »

Hmm...no answer?

Reality my friend, your lineups would be awesome if every game didn't matter like the all-star game.  You know where they put in Yao, KG, Duncan all on the floor at the same time. 
Kobe Bryant

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »

Hmm...no answer?

Kobe Bryant

Last time I checked Kobe was not a PG.

But if the only player in the league you can equate to Parker for those attributes is Bryant then why would the Spurs trade him for anyone less?
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »
I was trying to equate Parker to someone whom i know westkoast thinks there is no one like.

Barron Davis and A.I. are the only points breathing the same air as Parkers right now.

Thus westkaost, you are trying to say Parker is untradeable.

JO is a perennial All Star or near All Star.
Comes down to big vs small.
I would take my chances that Barry and Watson at point just might be able to squeek a few wins out of a Duncan Elson JO front line.

You two would take your chances on Parker feeding Fabs for the title.
Could happen either way.

I like Big.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 02:53:47 PM »
I was trying to equate Parker to someone whom i know westkoast thinks there is no one like.

Barron Davis and A.I. are the only points breathing the same air as Parkers right now.

Baron Davis...in his prime...maybe.  Now too old.

AI is also a SG.

And yes, unless it is an upgrade, the big 3 of SA are untradeable.

JO is a perennial All Star or near All Star.

Jo is an all-star in the East.  In the west he wouldn't beat out KG, Duncan, Boozer (this yr), Melo, Brand, or Dirk for an all star spot.  Not to mention Odom, Amare, Marion.  I would put his chances in the same category as Zach & Gasol.

I like Big.

That's great for the NBA of the 90s.  In the past 3-5 years the league has evolved towards quicker perimeter oriented teams.  Look at the top teams.  Then look at the positions their top players play.  A slow down pound it into the middle game does not work in today's NBA.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »
That's great for the NBA of the 90s.  In the past 3-5 years the league has evolved towards quicker perimeter oriented teams.  Look at the top teams.  Then look at the positions their top players play.  A slow down pound it into the middle game does not work in today's NBA. 

Who says you can't have bigs and quicks and a title?

2005 2005 Lurker 2005 2005       

2005 2005 koast 2005 2005

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 04:01:13 PM »

Who says you can't have bigs and quicks and a title?

2005 2005 Lurker 2005 2005       

2005 2005 koast 2005 2005

Go back and study some game film.  It was the play (both offensive & defensive) of the perimeter players that pushed it over the top.  Having Duncan helped alot but the key was perimeter...most notably Parker (who you trade for a duplicate big) and Manu.  And, of course your current dream lover, Barry.

None of the bigs you list are capable of playing the SF position.  All of them need to work from the low post offensively.  None of them can guard perimeter players.  JO is not even all-star worthy in the west but you will give up the best young all star PG in the league for him. 

If you want to talk a swap of either Oberto or Elson for JO then maybe it is worth discussing.  But in that situation then Walsh tells you where to put your trade offer...and probably not to politely.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 04:32:08 PM »

I like Big.

He certainly is tradeable, every player is tradeable unless otherwise specified in their contract.   The question is are you going to get in return what is leaving your lineup.

Now I am no Spurs expert and I guess would be labeled a casual Spurs follower but I can't think of any player in the league who offers what Tony Parker offers while having the expierence and know how in the system.

Sure Jason Kidd is a better PG, both as a defender and in the open court, but he doesn't have the youth or expierence TP does.  Nor does his style of play at that position match up with the style of play of the Spurs.  Aging legs or not.

Sure Steve Nash is a better PG, as a passer he is leaps and bounds ahead of TP, but he doesn't have the youth or expierence.  Nor does his style of play at that position match up with the style of play of the Spurs.

Baron Davis?  One of my favs and yet, nope, not a good fit.  He is scorer and his defense is not quite up there.  He is also injury prone.

It is not that I think Tony Parker is the greatest or even top 3 at his position...it's that he knows the system, knows his role, and happens to have good chemistry with the Spurs players.  Moving players just to move them is a huge mistake.

See while you want the Spurs to win every single season, one who is not obsessed with the notion will realize since he has taken over as PG the Spurs have had ALOT of success.  I understand they are a great team and have high expectations, however, this team has had alot of success since Tony has been there.  To me Tony is not the broken piece.  Nor is he the kind of guy you give up to get that piece.  IMO trading Manu or Tony would be a mistake.  You trade core guys when your team is sucking.  Right now the Spurs are not sucking.  They are one of the 3 best teams in the league and come playoff time they are one of the worst teams to see in the playoffs when you are a fan or player on another team.

As for the SF spot on your Celtics Dynasty-esque Spurs team you put together....you think they would have the foot speed to deal with the likes of Josh Howard, Lamar Odom, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Carmelo Anthony?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:52:12 PM by westkoast »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »
This is a funny thread, funny in a really STUPID kind of sense.

Trade Parker for JO and the Spurs are lucky to sniff the second round.

Parker is just the perfect fit at PG for the Spurs.  Penetration and decent enough defense to work in the Spurs system.  If Tony was reliable in the playoffs from the perimeter there would be no discussion of trading Parker because the Spurs would have run off three strait titles after the Lakers dynasty came crumbling down. 

The Spurs need help at the 3, they need to package one of their bigs and some young blood and upgrade the 3 spot, problem is the 3 is becoming as crucial as the 4, the 5 spot is almost dead.  Not looking good for the Spurs IMO.  If the Spurs don't make some changes soon OR come back to life they are going to lose more ground to the Suns and Mavs and have the Lakers and Nuggets nipping at their heels.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"